Stripping paint using brake fluid

Sadly, the following photos were meant to be part of a 'on my workbench' post, of a repaint, but, to my horror things have gone awfully wrong.

Unfortunately, I can say that brake fluid for stripping paint on Hornby models (or atleast this particular example!) is NOT advised

The same method, I'd used before on several Lima bodyshells as tests, which was a 24hr bath in Dot 4 brake has resulted in the Hornby shell melting, and distorting, resulting in it being scrap, pretty much.

The first photo was prior to the dunk, all stripped down and ready. The following ones sadly speak for themselves :(

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

Can't really describe how I feel about it at the moment, aside from ruining a ~£100 locomotive, this was my first real attempt at respraying a high detail loco, and it's not done wonders for confidence.

What's a bit of a kick is that in this instance I've done all homework, and concluded it should be fine, and even used the same method on a few older examples to give it all a trial.

Not quite sure where the disconnect is between the advice out there (which I'm not disputing, it obviously HAS worked for others) and what's gone wrong, possibly different brands work differently with certain plastics. But right now I'm just rather deflated and angry with myself, and wanted to get the message out there to others.

DO NOT USE BRAKE FLUID UNLESS YOU'RE 100% SURE THE PLASTIC IS SUITABLE, AND THE BRAKE FLUID BRAND HAS BEEN TRIED ON YOUR PARTICULAR MODEL BEFORE

I'm sorry to see that you've had the exact same experience as myself. I had a Reggie Railways Hornby Class 31 that I placed into brake fluid to strip, when it came out I was left with the same molten mess as you had. I was lucky oin that I was able to obtain a replacement body of ebay.

• RMweb Premium

May I ask if you'd be willing to share the ingredients of your particular concoction?

Afraid not, I am considering selling it on a commercial basis.

In which case it's definitely something I'd be interested in.

Hmm. In my very short experience of Hermes, it was an unmitigated disaster. Do they allow the carriage of liquids?

I've only had one mishap and was refunded for the missing item, looking at my account I've so far sent 144 items (some to your goodself) I found this regarding what can and can't be sent https://www.myhermes.co.uk/help/carry-guide.html

I have no idea. All of the companies will not carry paint or flammable goods...of which some of the ingredients are. To be honest, I'm that busy with the dayjob, it's not really worth my while to get involved in selling it after thinking about it.

I can only presume Phoenix has some exclusive arrangement with DPD, that no doubt costs them a great deal.

• RMweb Premium

Probably why they charge the best part of £6 carriage even if you want only one 14ml tin of paint.

Lee, if it's not something you wish to get involved in (would be happy to purchase it IF you did), would it be possible for you to share with me your ingredients and method for my own use, if it was kept secret ofcourse, should your circumstances change and you wish to later sell it?