Butanone / MEK

I was of the understanding (from earlier threads) that MEK was the same as Butanone, however sometime back the chemical composition altered and its slightly different from Butatone and whilst the same with plastic on plastic no so efficient with plastic on ply

Now Phil who owns C&L told me the plastic in the chairs has a make up which includes small rubber granules, Butanone has the ability to dissolve these. Now I am no chemist but Phil's explanation ties up with the statements from other threads

Yes both will work, but one works better in certain circumstances 

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I was of the understanding (from earlier threads) that MEK was the same as Butanone, however sometime back the chemical composition altered and its slightly different from Butatone

I think there is confusion between MEK with Slaters Mek-Pak and the terms incorrectly interchanged without thought. Butanone is methyl-ethyl-ketone e.g. MEK. Mek-Pak is Slaters own formulation that has, according to this thread, changed over the years. The chemical composition of Butanone (MEK) has not changed ever. :)

• Agree 1

Just now, 57xx said:

I think there is confusion between MEK with Slaters Mek-Pak and the terms incorrectly interchanged without thought. Butanone is methyl-ethyl-ketone e.g. MEK. Mek-Pak is Slaters own formulation that has, according to this thread, changed over the years. The chemical composition of Butanone (MEK) has not changed ever. :)

Thanks for the clarification, I assumed it was MEK Pak that was being talked about, as I said I am no chemist