Hintock Town Quay (was Owlcombe D)-A Railway On A Table Top In OO

john flann

Andy, glad you liked this start and I'm going to have fun in following it up.

I'm sorry about the "confusion" of having Hintock Redux and Port Bredy both on the one  Hintock thread but I've invested so much in it (82 pages to date) I wouldn't wish to start afresh with two separate threads. But in future posts there I'll try to make the subject more clear.

At least you won't have that difficulty with OD.

Actually, you are not alone in the confusion for all my images of HR, PB and HTQ (now OD) are all in seven separate files (from 2012 and others before that) and I spend ages in finding the one I want.

I'll post again later today.

Edited by john flann
  • Like 1

Before getting into detail about the development of Owlcombe Denuo, these overall pictures of progress to date might be of interest.

post-3088-0-25144200-1503597118_thumb.jpg

Left,

post-3088-0-56359600-1503597092_thumb.jpg

Right, and

post-3088-0-12510600-1503597138_thumb.jpg

from left to right.

Edited by john flann
  • Like 13

Dave, happy to hear from you again concerning Owlcombe. Yes, those are the same pictures as in the 1980 MT but which I could not find, hence I used MTI.

Regarding your comment about it being an Inglenook I had never thought of that previously. Interestingly though at the MMRS Exhibition in 1972 where Owlcombe made its appearance so did fellow member Alan Wright, have his first Inglenook.

It's a very neat arrangement and that I have used since both in Hintock Redux, Port Bredy and the original Hintock Town Quay.

Edited by john flann

Rob, I thought you would be interested, no, I did not consider a loop for I could see no particular advantage. There would on the other hand be disadvantage in consuming more space, and on the scenic aspects

It's assumed, and accepted the yard could only be shunted by trains running in the one direction.

• Like 1

Reverting to Rob's comment on including a loop these images show how readily it could be accomplished.

post-3088-0-12985700-1503683347_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-43708700-1503683372_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-20639400-1503683432_thumb.jpg

These were of an early stage of the re-working and to see what could best be done. Later images will show the subsequent development. And, I'm not altogether sure I like what I currently have.

• Like 3

David, your post made me look at my computer archives for the article. Unfortunately whatever I might have had, got lost in a crash except for the attached. I'll scan the article again when I'm back home.

The image is interesting for it shows how much things in the RTR line have improved over the years as the 27xx is a cut down Gaiety casting on a Hornby chassis with a Hamblings funnel , safety valve, buffers and three link couplings.  It ran well and for its time looked the part.

post-3088-0-81448000-1503800929_thumb.jpg

Edited by john flann
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi John.

I would add a cross over here.

I do think it would add to the operation.

Rob.

post-14122-0-89817800-1503856689.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, quite agree Rob, that's where it would go.

I'll need to wait until I'm home again to try it out and will report back. A lot too depends on the aesthetic appearance because I regard that as just as important, perhaps even more so than the fun value.

• RMweb Gold

Further to the above, John, I prefer the straight run as in this photo.

Crossover crayoned in.

Rob.

post-14122-0-08462700-1503946859.jpg

Quite so Rob, but things have moved on since that image was taken.

What we have now is this for I squeezed in a further siding at the rear. Adding the loop will reduce the siding from which it springs in length but this new siding makes up for it. How long the loop will be remains to be seen for I will need to work things out in wagon lengths and that needs wait my return home. The head shunt at the LH end is, I think, loco and two wagons and that may well be feasible too at the RH, if so it will work out well.

Having the loop and thanks for persisting with the notion, will add an additional operational aspect in that the yard can be shunted by trains proceeding in either direction by moving loco and brake van from one end to the other.

post-3088-0-96957200-1504023549_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-99828200-1504023575_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-92568300-1504023658_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-34927400-1504023691_thumb.jpg

Not only do these illustrate the track formation and siting of a possible loop but an indication of the scenic possibilities. In these shots around 15 wagons are in play and making up trains of 4 /5 can offer much pleasure.

Also can be seen are glimpses of Hintock Redux.

Edited by john flann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I see. In which case the crossover has to go in the first location.

I think it would work very well with little compromise to the sidings themselves. I do think it would add greatly to the operation and still preserve the look and feel of the original.

Rob

Then we are all agreed. Thanks to you both. I've ordered the needed points and probably by the time I'm back home they will be waiting for me.

I'll then see how matters work out. and looking at the last image above with a RH point forming the curve, it should.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

John, having dropped into Hintock, I haveonly just caught up with your recent adventures. Wishing you a belated happy birthday and a speedy return to mainline running following your visit to workshops.

I would suggest some initial gentle running in.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

This post follows up my comments in the edited first post.

My original HTQ was built as part of the Hintock Branch scenario and at the time fitted in well. In that scenario I have made a considerable investment and on further consideration am of opinion a revised HTQ will continue to fit. But more conveniently as a separate thread particularly because of recent developments at Hintock Redux and Port Bredy.

Having said that the other reason(s) is that with any layout of mine there are two prime considerations, one the operating possibilities and the other the aesthetic appearance. And those I was beginning to doubt could be achieved in the manner the layout was presented.

post-3088-0-24893600-1504194349_thumb.jpg

This makes the point for the siding at the rear disturbs the flow of the running line and adds clutter for I am of the less is more philosophy and any additional operational possibilities are offset by that factor. (This is apart from the question of adding a loop.) So I'm happy to dispense with that siding,

post-3088-0-48402600-1504194372_thumb.jpg

Aesthetically this is far more appealing and is what I intend shall be the basis for the new HTQ. And, to it will be added a loop.

The back story to HTQ will be the subject of a separate post.

Edited by john flann
  • Like 1