Earth Mover EM speakers

woodys

Hi all, 

I'd like to fit an EM speaker into a Dapol western, anyone done this yet?

Cheers, Woody

I believe Steve Brammer has fitted one , he's the gent who works closely with legomanbiffo .

I have fitted a larger than normal bass reflex speaker into a couple of mine which involved removing the plastic plinth

that holds the standard 58x22 speaker in place ,

Furthermore , I had to grind down the 2 metal mouldings that take the holding screws for said plinth in order to bed 

the speaker down .

The EM that I have in my hand measures 65mm long 28mm wide and 12mm deep so a fair bit wider, longer and deeper

than your normal bass reflex 

You may have to give the chassis the hacksaw/ milling machine treatment 

Thanks for the replies,

I've generally got better sound by mounting speakers underneath facing the track, but not sure how much room under the Dapol for EM2, I've ordered one so will find out....

I could look at one of my Heljan 52's, one already has the speaker underneath.

Albie, what speakers did you fit?

Thanks for the video link bgman, v.useful.

Woody

Graham,

Have you run the Deltic around your track at high volume without any problem? The reason I ask is that the EM2 speakers have a much greater cone excursion than other types of speaker and if you're not careful the round cone can hit off the sleepers, track pins etc. I did a 92 in the way you describe and that is ok but a bassy loco like the Deltic might be a different kettle of fish. You could (potentially) avoid this by recessing the speaker a mil or two further into the body, if there's room?

Thanks for the replies,

I've generally got better sound by mounting speakers underneath facing the track, but not sure how much room under the Dapol for EM2, I've ordered one so will find out....

I could look at one of my Heljan 52's, one already has the speaker underneath.

Albie, what speakers did you fit?

Thanks for the video link bgman, v.useful.

Woody

Hi woody,

The speaker I used was the DSS229 bass reflex speaker which measures 58x15x23mm .

Its deeper than the standard bass reflex speaker thus the plastic plinth I mentioned in the previous post needs to be removed 

to allow the speaker to sit within the metal casting 

I got that particular speaker from Digitrains of Lincoln

Albie

Hi woody,

The speaker I used was the DSS229 bass reflex speaker which measures 58x15x23mm .

Its deeper than the standard bass reflex speaker thus the plastic plinth I mentioned in the previous post needs to be removed 

to allow the speaker to sit within the metal casting 

I got that particular speaker from Digitrains of Lincoln

Albie

I've used these in the past also on 37's, but good though they are - the EM2 speaker (chassis fitted) is much better - but you do need Bif's Wensleydale sound file to get the very best out of it. 

post-2215-0-61780700-1503683781_thumb.jpg

Graham,

Have you run the Deltic around your track at high volume without any problem? The reason I ask is that the EM2 speakers have a much greater cone excursion than other types of speaker and if you're not careful the round cone can hit off the sleepers, track pins etc. I did a 92 in the way you describe and that is ok but a bassy loco like the Deltic might be a different kettle of fish. You could (potentially) avoid this by recessing the speaker a mil or two further into the body, if there's room?

Sorry I can't answer your question, although, ironically my name is also Grahame this is someone completely different to me !