2-EPB renovation

grahame

I've started to renovate an old 2-EPB model that I made many moons ago. It's an unpowered model. I wanted to change it's livery from green to blue and correct the underframe details as best I could.

Firstly I stripped down the body, roof, bogies, etc., and then pared the sides off (they were etched brass ones from Worsley Works). Bearing in mind this is an N/2mm model I felt that the cab ends were still pretty good, so I've left them:

post-33-0-75638600-1503833206_thumb.jpg

The sides were cleaned and I've started to give them a coat of blue paint. As I couldn't be bothered to get the air-brush out I've hand painted them (with a hairy brush) with very thinned down paint. So far they've had two coats, the second which is drying now:

post-33-0-50555100-1503833356_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 10

Annoyingly the brass sides are a little short on height to match the height of the Farish Mk1 coaches they need to overlay:

post-33-0-12545000-1503908160_thumb.jpg

In order to help disguise/camouflage the small gap I've painted the bottom of the plastic body shell blue (to hopefully match the sides) and fingers crossed that it wont be too noticeable when I fit the long continuous step boards.

G. 

• Like 6

Annoyingly the brass sides are a little short on height to match the height of the Farish Mk1 coaches they need to overlay:

attachicon.gifDSC_3218.JPG

In order to help disguise/camouflage the small gap I've painted the bottom of the plastic body shell blue (to hopefully match the sides) and fingers crossed that it wont be too noticeable when I fit the long continuous step boards.

G. 

A lot of units had strengthening strips fitted along the bottom of the bodysides. Could this gap be hidden with plastic card strips?

Dave.

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 2

A lot of units had strengthening strips fitted along the bottom of the bodysides. Could this gasp be hidden with plastic card strips?

A great idea - thanks. I remember those strips now.

I just need to cut some strips from styrene sheets a tad thicker than the brass.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a set-back. One pair of the etched sides ended up with a crinkle finish, while the other two sides were fine (odd as they both had the same treatment). That has meant I've needed to strip them back to bare metal and start again. And I guess I'll need to do all four sides otherwise if I just do the dodgy two they probably won't match the other two. Damn.

G.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 28/08/2017 at 10:38, dasatcopthorne said:

A lot of units had strengthening strips fitted along the bottom of the bodysides. Could this gap be hidden with plastic card strips?

Dave.

I've finally got back to re-starting this project and have taken on board the suggestion above. I've added strips of styrene along the bottom of one coach to see how it will look. And I'm quite happy:

DSC_8143.JPG.73795ada74190b537ac44598eac13d17.JPG

Okay, it's not the finest bit of modelling but then the old model wasn't either (bashed some time ago) and I need to work with what I've got. Next I'll paint the strips to match the body side colour and then I'll re-check. The sides need another coat - they've been painted with a brush using very much thinned down paint and the dried finish doesn't look too bad (IMO). If all is okay I'll fit the strips to the other coach which is quite a tricky job to get them on with a straight top edge.

G

Edited by grahame
  • Like 2

Close-up digital photography can be very useful as well as cruel (even quick snaps that are poorly composed, a little out of focus and so on as below). It shows where further work is required that you might not be aware of. For example I didn't realise that the roofs needed some fettling to fit and sit better on the body as can be seen in the pic below:

DSC_8154.JPG.14b6699bfd705f5acd6f22ea9df5316e.JPG

G

Edited by grahame
  • Like 5