The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

WORLD'S WORST EVER MOVIES !

allan downes

Sounds like "Night of the Lepus", a notoriously bad horror film. :D

My partner has a rabbit, she'll love to watch this...

In a variation on the  theme, there is Black Sheep, an attempt to fleece the zombie sheep fans.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

It was ''Kill Bill'' last night here in the Downes establishment and what the hell was that all about ! - Yet, I STILL watched it !

Mind you, I'd been on the Bells all afternoon...

Allan

You're on a bit of a Tarantino festival at the moment then Allan?

Reservoir Dogs only just edges Pulp Fiction off top slot in my ratings, Jackie Brown gets a closely run bronze medal.

C6T.

You're on a bit of a Tarantino festival at the moment then Allan?

Reservoir Dogs only just edges Pulp Fiction off top slot in my ratings, Jackie Brown gets a closely run bronze medal.

C6T.

Tarantino is actually a big fan of Australian '70's " Ozploitation' movies - a weird time when the government of the day wanted to rejuvenate our film industry and so gave very generous tax breaks to film investors.

. Consequently this raised the quality of Australian films to new heights of brilliance because all those who wanted to get their hands on the money were true film enthusiasts with vision,  and not in any way just fly by nighters  wanting to make any old #@$#@ to make a quick buck.

Actually, you can judge for yourself how that  all went because a movie was made about these movies which has Tarantino talking about his favourite Australian movies, and how they made him the director he became.. Here's the trailer, its only a couple of minutes long  and is a handy kind of "Stars On 45" type compendium of many of the worlds worst movies - the Australian ones at least.

And if you commit to it, then I promise that at some point you will see boobs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24E6AgsPFP8

My favourite Tarantino film would be Django Unchained, mainly for the over the top gun shot scenes, and John Jarrat of Wolf Creek fame getting a cameo bit.

• Like 2

Tarantino is actually a big fan of Australian '70's " Ozploitation' movies - a weird time when the government of the day wanted to rejuvenate our film industry and so gave very generous tax breaks to film investors.

. Consequently this raised the quality of Australian films to new heights of brilliance because all those who wanted to get their hands on the money were true film enthusiasts with vision,  and not in any way just fly by nighters  wanting to make any old #@$#@ to make a quick buck.

Actually, you can judge for yourself how that  all went because a movie was made about these movies which has Tarantino talking about his favourite Australian movies, and how they made him the director he became.. Here's the trailer, its only a couple of minutes long  and is a handy kind of "Stars On 45" type compendium of many of the worlds worst movies - the Australian ones at least.

And if you commit to it, then I promise that at some point you will see boobs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24E6AgsPFP8

My favourite Tarantino film would be Django Unchained, mainly for the over the top gun shot scenes, and John Jarrat of Wolf Creek fame getting a cameo bit.

Monkeysarefun. I just LOVE reading your posts - I mean, not many posters on RMweb promise us boobs ! - and me and the missus would just love to hear why you think that everything in Sydney is trying to kill you ! Next post. An explanation if you would be so kind.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes

Bonzer!

Quentin's a funny sod though, I get the impression if you showed him yer mam and dad's 8mm wedding cine film he'd claim it had influenced his film making. Still, cinema is richer from his input, however it came about.

On other matters. The assembled may like to give this gem a gander...

It's totally boss! But then I'm exactly in its aimed at demographic. If you're over fifty or under thirty, you're gonna think it fully qualifies for inclusion in this thread...enjoy. Or not...

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

Erm, I see your Sophia Loren and raise you Claudia Cardinale in Once Upon a Time in the West.

Or Deborah Harry (who was in Videodrome before anyone argues she wasn't an apt nominee) although "actress" is possibly a stretch.

...and Liz Taylor looks fantastic in Cleopatra, natch.

C6T. (Allan, can we concentrate on duff movies please!)

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

Erm, I see your Sophia Loren and raise you Claudia Cardinale in Once Upon a Time in the West.

Or Deborah Harry (who was in Videodrome before anyone argues she wasn't an apt nominee) although "actress" is possibly a stretch.

...and Liz Taylor looks fantastic in Cleopatra, natch.

C6T. (Allan, can we concentrate on duff movies please!)

You're on, C6T, though I have to agree, with Debbie Harris up your sleeve you've every chance of clearing up and, yes, Claudia Cardinale another safe bet - and WHAT a movie !

"(Allan, can we concentrate on duff movies please!)"  Certainly Sir so, how about  this -

• Like 1

...and I keep forgetting to mention, strictly in the gamut of this thread's intentions, not Allan's subsequent sidestepping into gorgeous foreign actresses (we'll be here all year) can anyone give me a reason how in the hell Zsa Zsa Gabor carved a "career"?

On second thoughts, don't, cos there's legal issues there!

But, I mean, we can talk about Stallone, van Damme, Swarzenegger, Bridgitte Nielson and Dolphin Lundgren making duds, Ms Gabor's output seemingly would place the aforementioned thespians akin to the RSC!

She can literally suck life out of a film. A celluloid succubus. Ithangyow.

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

She was in the truly atrocious Cassandra Crossing with Richard Harris, Burt Lancaster, et-al.  The railway mistakes in the film can fill an entire forum discussion thread by itself.  It wasn't meant to be a comedy apparently...

Monkeysarefun. I just LOVE reading your posts - I mean, not many posters on RMweb promise us boobs ! - and me and the missus would just love to hear why you think that everything in Sydney is trying to kill you ! Next post. An explanation if you would be so kind.

Allan.

G'day Allan and Mrs Allan,,

I'm not sure why everything is trying to kill me but you know what  they say -

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that everything isn't out to get you!

And when you consider for instance that  the Sydney Funnel web spider which can have your relo's fighting over your inheritance  15 minutes after you've been bitten

has a bite that  is only lethal to primates,  ie us  -  dogs and cats and birds and everything else just laughs it off  - then it is a bit hard not to take it personally.

And then theres the murderous marsupials, which this award winning short documentary illustrates (just brief  boob glimpses sorry)

Down here we admittedly do tend to take a perverse delight in talking about the many ways nature can do us in  so to to avoid this post turning into a Crocodile Dundee style "Thats not a deadly spider - This is a deadly spider"

(See, even our scientists do it) brag session, I'll hand it over to this thread of a couple of weeks ago that you mightn't have seen that  is the natural progression of this in that there is me and a who's who of  us Australians (and English visitors!)  Rmwebbers doing it.. It IS informative, even I discovered that I didn't know everything I thought I did about Drop Bears.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125159-for-those-that-fear-coming-to-australia/

(Can I just take a sec to mention I'm really enjoying your walk down memory lane of all the pics of your models you are posting up.

Also the pics here of the pretty ladies..)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

Anyone seen this one ? If so, a full report please. Well, not TOO full....

western.jpg

Morton writes of the production:

"Beaudine hit his stride during the early days of Hollywood when studios were less devoted to big-budget productions and were more interested in getting as many films as possible out to the American public. In those days, a Western had an immediate audience. If it was a Western, it couldn’t fail. They took anywhere from two days to two weeks to make. Beaudine dutifully churned them out, rarely lavishing much attention on any of them… One of the ways Beaudine kept his costs down (and his speed up) was by avoiding retakes whenever possible. He became so notorious for his refusal to reshoot a scene that he earned the nickname “One-Shot Beaudine.” If a boom mike dipped into the frame, if a cowboy started to fall before he was shot -oh well."
  • Like 1

(Can I just take a sec to mention I'm really enjoying your walk down memory lane of all the pics of your models you are posting up.

Also the pics here of the pretty ladies..)

Hi Monkeysarefun.

We don't have any deadly spiders here though my mother-in-law came as close a you can get with only two legs God rest her soul.

But, even so, my wife will not go to bed without the hoover propped up and ready beside the bed because, and even in the dead of night, she can hear a spider tramping across the ceiling and before the spider even knows it, it's doing it's thing in the hoover bag.

During the day little, insignificant  money spiders are attacked with the ferocity of a Warlord and, if you're not prepared for this sudden burst of violence it could bring on a heart attack. In this pursuit, glass table tops have been shattered and items of furniture reduced to matchwood - yet normally she wouldn't say boo to  goose - unless it had a spider crawling all over it.

Anyway, I'm pleased that you are enjoining my jaunt down memory lane but, to be honest, I felt that it had run its course but just for you my good friend, I'll continue with it.

As I said before, I/we( wifey being the 'we' ) really enjoy reading your posts and you're a real  asset to MRweb. Keep 'em comin' mate ( and don't ease up on the boobs ! )

Allan.

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of spiders, can anyone explain what went behind God's thinking when he created these ?

Over engineered spiders.

You call that a deadly spider? Australia's funnel web can kill in 15 minutes

Queensland expert says Brazilian wandering spider found in UK family’s shopping pales in significance beside its more lethal Australian counterparts

60dbcc76-2467-47b6-bb8f-9da604fe0c66-206
 The funnel web is considered the world’s deadliest spider. Photograph: Alamy
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • View more sharing options
Shares

Joshua Robertson

Monday 20 October 2014 04.15 BST Last modified on Thursday 27 October 2016 00.44 BST

An Australian spider expert has ridiculed reports from the UK of a family discovering the “world’s deadliest spider” in their groceries.

The risk posed by the Brazilian wandering spider paled in significance beside its more lethal Australian counterparts, the funnel web and the redback, according to Dr Robert Raven of the Queensland Museum.

UK tabloid the Mail On Sunday reported that a London couple were shocked to find the spider and a cluster of its eggs in a bunch of imported bananas.

But Raven said the newspaper’s account of 14 deaths worldwide caused by the spider had probably confused it with a number of reported fatalities for either the redback and the funnel web.

Research had linked the Brazilian spider to 10 deaths at the most, which were “highly likely” to be the result of anaphylaxis, or toxic shock, that could as readily have been caused by an ant bite, he said.

The 14 reported deaths each for the funnel web, which can kill in 15 minutes, and the redback, whose venom is even deadlier, exclude anaphylaxis, he said.

The funnel web “classically speaking” is considered the world’s deadliest spider because it “kills so quickly”.

“In terms of speed of death, in Australia we say funnel web, 15 minutes, no sweat,” Raven said. “With a funnel web bite to the torso, you’re dead. No other spider can claim that reputation.”

However the redback is considered more dangerous because its venom is more powerful and its bites more common, numbering at one point some 10,000 a year.

While it also delivers a “minute” amount of venom, its potency frequently causes anaphylaxis, once killing a woman bitten on the neck in five minutes.

Advertisement

By contrast, with the venom of the Brazilian spider, it is “very slow progress”, Raven said.

It was true that the Brazilian spider, known to scientists as phoneutria, was said to have the “most neurologically active venom of any spider”, Raven said.

But only between 0.5% and 1% of the tens of thousands of recorded bites in Brazil have turned serious, which was “incredibly low”.

“We don’t even think about redbacks in that category, we’re more like at about 20-50% turning serious, while funnel webs are 60% to 70% at least,” Raven said.

The Queensland Museum’s head curator of arachnids said the chances of being bitten by Australia’s deadliest pair of spiders were far greater.

“The number of people that get bitten [by phoneutria] is comparatively low considering the number of people in Brazil, whereas the number of people that get bitten in Australia is quite high and it gets reported and the reactions are quite bad from all of them,” he said.

He said the best information on phoneutria bites, a 2008 research paper, did not explore the determined causes of death in each of the 10 cases in Brazil.

“The thing is with the deaths that occurred, it sounds like the bad reactions have occurred from the neck upwards,” he said.

“I’m wondering if those 10 cases, given the tens of thousands of bites recorded in Brazil, it’s highly likely those 10 deaths were actually bites to the neck on which anaphylaxis had occurred.

“It could have been an ant.”

Progress with antivenoms meant there had been no deaths in Australia in recent years from funnel web bites. The only the one from a redback had been caused by rapid anaphylaxis.

Raven said the “strange indoctrination” of fear towards Australia’s spiders in foreign visitors obscured the fact the vast majority of local arachnids were benign.

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only two likes for Sophia Loren (and one of those is mine)?

That's a real scandal.

Either that or a coach party to Specsavers is required.

Some of us are a lot younger......

I reckon she's older than my Great Grandmother........and she's been dead 50 years..

Thanks Allan, thats really nice of you to say, I must say that I've found rmweb to be on the nice side of the forum scale , I read more threads than I post in and I have seen very little pettiness, vindictiveness or trolling, which is a nice change from some of the forums I've given up on.

Any heated argument seems to be due to peoples passion for a particular subject - debates about  pre-war  GWR  handrails or whatever. I'll admit I'm an architecture modeller, not a railway modeller but I still enjoy all the too-ings and fro-ings about the tiny details that  go to make up a model railway, and the depth of the knowledge pool about even the tiniest esoteric items.

As to Mrs Downse's  spider phobia, she has a lot in common with my son who is the worst spider phobic I know. If you are arachnaphobic then Huntsmen spiders are the worst and although they are harmless - basically they are just  kittens with 4 extra legs  -  they are really big AND pop up  in unexpected places just to freak you out. And they DO love freaking people out, this one travelled all the way to the UK just to mess with the locals: (For "Poisonous predator" read "not very  venomouis" I can't believe your press prints such innacuracies..)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/831493/huntsman-spider-uk-trek-from-australia

I  was driving my son back to his mothers place after he'd had tea at my house and unbeknownst to me a huntsman had appeared on the top of the windscreen on the passengers side, just above his head. IMy son was sitting in the passenger seat and one second later he was in the back seat, He had somehow undone his seatbelt and back flipped neatly between the two front seats and landed in the back. I only knew something \had happened because his foot clipped the gear stick on the way through and suddenly the car was in neutral.

Every Austarlian at one point or another will come upon a giant Huntsman, in fact in acknowledgement of that the Sydney zoo - Taronga - holds occasional; weekend courses where you can go and they'll get you over the scared phase. Graduation is letting a Huntsman climb all over you, apparently once you've done the course you are magically cured and you have no fear.

post-22541-0-69398700-1505308588.jpg

I bought a voucher for my son for his 18th birthday but he was to scared to use it.

To bring this back to thw worlds worst movies... which I can..

, the movie Arachnophobia had cast its major big name  spiders but still needed hundreds of supporting spiders as extras, so they evaluated various species via a kind of spider olympics and the  Huntsman came out on top. They were intending to use Australian Huntsmen but Actors Equity - our actors union - feared that our spiders would be exploited and so black banned the movie from using them. However, l uckily for the movie producers, aussie Huntsmen had been sent to New Zealand in the '20's so the movie was able to use them since they weren't in a union.

That IS a true story but I can find no proof on the world wide web.

Which   being a web, it  is ironic that it hasn't that spider information.

Edited by monkeysarefun

The remake of Stephen King's IT is currently doing the rounds, and apparently is quite good.

I couldn't help thinking I hope the ending is better than the Tim Curry vehicle, which had a giant rubber arachnid that one of the prop guys must've won on a coconut shy.

Not the only time either that a poorly executed ending has ruined an enjoyable King penned viewing experience.

C6T.

The remake of Stephen King's IT is currently doing the rounds, and apparently is quite good.

I couldn't help thinking I hope the ending is better than the Tim Curry vehicle, which had a giant rubber arachnid that one of the prop guys must've won on a coconut shy.

Not the only time either that a poorly executed ending has ruined an enjoyable King penned viewing experience.

C6T.

What I hate about Stephen King is that he always seems to play the "Indian Burial Ground" card when his plot goes a bit shaky. Everything gets explained away because there was an Indian Burial Ground near by or whatever./.

Full disclosure, I haven't been a Stephen King fan since the early '80's when it was mainly Pet Semetary and Salems Lot so maybe he's moved on and got a new plot device since then and I  am being needlessly harsh.

Some of us are a lot younger......

I reckon she's older than my Great Grandmother........and she's been dead 50 years..

We get the English tabloids down here thanks to the internet web thing, and I just have to ask..., Ex on the Beach, Love Island, geordy shores, chelsea whatever....... what the hell is going on with reality show english girls today?? All bright orange freaks  with lips like goldfish and vacant stares and stupidly fake  boobs like half rockmelons and really really really stupid eyebrows. 

Give me Sofia Loren, any day even if she did go to school with your great grand mother

Well he did write Misery which was fairly good, and The Shining, after which with Stanley Kubrik's help, I could frankly forgive him almost anything.

C6T.

I did \like Misery, but the Shining DID have an Indian burial ground thing at the end I seem to recall....didn't it?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1