The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Model Railways out of context...

Zero Gravitas

• RMweb Gold

I was checking the tyres of Mrs. Gravitas' Discovery round at the local Tesco at the weekend, and noticed this lying on the ground next to the air dispensing station:

post-7783-0-57185500-1503946856_thumb.jpg

In case it's not clear, it's some OO gauge track base.

And that set me thinking - have you every seen some piece of model railway equipment utterly out of context?

Sadly no pictures, but on a shelf in a communal area of some local artists studios where MrsB used to rent space there was an ancient, US outline H0 steam loco, a couple of matching early plastic boxcars and some crude (square rail section) plastic based three-rail track. No idea why it was there. I now wish I'd investigated further.

I was checking the tyres of Mrs. Gravitas' Discovery round at the local Tesco at the weekend, and noticed this lying on the ground next to the air dispensing station:

attachicon.gifIMG_0072.JPG

In case it's not clear, it's some OO gauge track base....

Closer inspection leads me to think it's flexi-track base. Possibly Hornby or Peco. Might have fallen off a trailer on its way to the local tip with a decommissioned layout.

Probably not entirely out of context, but on a couple of occasions I've spotted the remnants of Hornby train sets in the giant skips at the local household waste recycling centre i.e. local council dump.

Track, locos, carriages and assorted wagons etc.

I say not entirely out of context as they were probably discarded and unused toys, cluttering up a cupboard, loft, shed or suchlike and finally being cleared out as unwanted junk.

attachicon.gifIMG_0072.JPG

In case it's not clear, it's some OO gauge track base.

And that set me thinking - have you every seen some piece of model railway equipment utterly out of context?

Once I saw a length of three rail tinplate track sticking out from underneath a dustbin lid where on further inquiries  it turned out that the old lady that had put it there had just lost her railway enthusiast husband and,  having just cleared out of his shed, had dumped his entire collection of mint boxed  Hornby tin plate.

However, when I asked her if I could have all the contents of her dustbin she sad I could, wondered why on earth I should want it anyway then, on returning the next day to pick it all up, I found to my horror that the dustmen had beaten me to it !

Allan

• RMweb Premium

About 35 years ago a neighbour at our previous address was visited by a 'Refuse Disposal Agent' who knew of his model railway interest. "This be any good to you, I found it on the tip when we were emptying the wagon ?" he asked.

He opened a carrier bag to produce a slightly worse for wear Hornby 'O' Gauge Princess Elizabeth and Tender. Two driving wheels were broken and there were parts of the valve gear missing IIRC.

New Drivers from 'Bonds O' Euston Road, a bit of scratch building for the motion, a repaint and new lining (I did the latter for him) resulted in a very presentable specimen of this sought after loco.

Does it get any Better than that ?

• Like 2