What's going on at Huyton & Roby stations ?

APOLLO

Had a day out in Liverpool bank holiday Monday.

During the recent electrification of the Liverpool - Manchester / Wigan lines the section from Huyton through Roby to just short of Broad Green station was four tracked, with brand new platforms built / refurbished at Huyton & Roby stations. 4 tracks were laid, but the northernmost track was never connected at either end though the platforms were finished along with working lights, information panels etc. Electrification masts are also in and ready for wires over this track. This was a couple of years ago.

On Monday I observed that the brand new platform walls & edges are being demolished right onto the new rail -  a right unsightly mess !!!. I can only think there is some issue of clearance as both new platforms at two separate stations are affected. I also noticed new pointwork piled onto the track at each end so I presume the actual 4 tracking is imminent.

Can anyone enlighten as to what is going on ?. Seems to me to be a massive waste of money building new platforms twice.

Brit15

• 2 weeks later...

Had a word with a friend with connections to the Railway. He reckons that the platforms aren't being demolished but completed, although looking at the photos I took 11/04/15, they seemed pretty well complete to me. I assume that this means that the land purchase east of Huyton station has been resolved and the fourth track can be completed and brought into use.

• RMweb Gold

Had a word with a friend with connections to the Railway. He reckons that the platforms aren't being demolished but completed, although looking at the photos I took 11/04/15, they seemed pretty well complete to me. I assume that this means that the land purchase east of Huyton station has been resolved and the fourth track can be completed and brought into use.

I believe the 4 tracks are coming in as part of the fortcoming (couple of weeks time) blockade.