Replacement loco numbers.

Clagmeister

• RMweb Premium

Any objections if I widen this question slightly?

I find when I look at catalogues of numbering like these online I very quickly get worried about the suitability in terms of size and colour of the lettering. It's quite slow to find the information in catalogues like this due to the way items are listed, but there's also my ignorance on the correct sizes on the prototype.

I start wondering if there's a handy reference. There is this: https://shop.vgbahn.info/miba/shop/anstrich+und+bezeichnung+von+lokomotiven-_898.html (Locomotive liveries and lettering, 1871 to today)  but it must be a sledgehammer (however interesting and attractive) for a nut. Leaving aside the companion volumes covering multiple units and carriages, and wagons.

Are there more condensed or focused sources? I would imagine such as may exist will be ordered around epoch.

Ben

Any objections if I widen this question slightly?

I find when I look at catalogues of numbering like these online I very quickly get worried about the suitability in terms of size and colour of the lettering. It's quite slow to find the information in catalogues like this due to the way items are listed, but there's also my ignorance on the correct sizes on the prototype.

I start wondering if there's a handy reference. There is this: https://shop.vgbahn.info/miba/shop/anstrich+und+bezeichnung+von+lokomotiven-_898.html (Locomotive liveries and lettering, 1871 to today)  but it must be a sledgehammer (however interesting and attractive) for a nut. Leaving aside the companion volumes covering multiple units and carriages, and wagons.

Are there more condensed or focused sources? I would imagine such as may exist will be ordered around epoch.

Ben

Eisenbahn Kurier many years ago published a series in magazine type format on German locomotives. It was arranged in chunks covering various similar classes. It is a good background to the machines of both the DR and the DB and their ancestors. One volume has a lot of information regarding numbers and insignia.

I think this publication also covered the post 1970 computer numbering with the dreaded check digit and how to calculate it.

Bernard

Eisenbahn Kurier many years ago published a series in magazine type format on German locomotives. It was arranged in chunks covering various similar classes. It is a good background to the machines of both the DR and the DB and their ancestors. One volume has a lot of information regarding numbers and insignia.

I think this publication also covered the post 1970 computer numbering with the dreaded check digit and how to calculate it.

There is an EK book, simply entitled Lokschilder, which appears to cover almost the entire history of German engine numbering, including type styles, positioning, character sizes, etc. The book is still in print, and costs between £20 and £25 depending on the Euro exchange rate. I bought a copy via Amazon some months ago.

In a contribution to a German model railway newsgroup a few years ago it was suggested to print photos of the loco numbers in the correct size, cut them out, blacken the edges with felt pen, and if needed, varnish them. With one of the popular graphics programs, it should not be too difficult to compose locomotive numbers as needed and print the resulting image.

Jan-Martin

• RMweb Premium

There is an EK book, simply entitled Lokschilder, which appears to cover almost the entire history of German engine numbering, including type styles, positioning, character sizes, etc. The book is still in print, and costs between £20 and £25 depending on the Euro exchange rate. I bought a copy via Amazon some months ago.

Gosh, thank you, just what the doctor ordered ;-)

But I am afraid that a search in the books category of Amazon UK and Germany yields nothing; neither does the EK-Verlag shop seem to know about it (or indeed Abe Books).

Hopes raised and lowered; I don't suppose there's an ISBN you can locate on your copy?

Best wishes,

Ben

ps. my interest is in painted/stuck on numbers as much as in cast metal -- does 'Lokschild' cover all in this case?

• RMweb Premium

Gosh, thank you, just what the doctor ordered ;-)

But I am afraid that a search in the books category of Amazon UK and Germany yields nothing; neither does the EK-Verlag shop seem to know about it (or indeed Abe Books).

Aha! Google has found: Lokomotivschilder: Bezeichnungen und Beschilderungen deutscher Lokomotiven by Thomas Samek (EK-Verlag). ISBN 978-3-88255-235-5. Must be the one!

Edited by readingtype

Aha! Google has found: Lokomotivschilder: Bezeichnungen und Beschilderungen deutscher Lokomotiven by Thomas Samek (EK-Verlag). ISBN 978-3-88255-235-5. Must be the one!

Yes, that's the one. Sorry, I forgot the exact title, but it's a fascinating book with some very useful info in it.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that's the one. Sorry, I forgot the exact title, but it's a fascinating book with some very useful info in it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I entirely agree, and I'm pleased to have got myself a copy. Many great photographs and a remarkable number of manufacturing drawings.

For anyone else remotely curious: this is a book that is almost entirely concerned with the various metal plates carrying inscriptions such as number, owner, classification etc on German locomotives, mostly steam; it begins with the first locomotives to run in Germany, works its way forwards in time from there. As noted above it covers the change to 'Computer numbers' with a check digit at which point (as I understand from a quick read) stick-on lettering started to be used. This takes the story up to Epoch IVa and there is a description of the style, dimensions and colour of lettering that came into use then which includes diesels and electrics. Naturally the DR (Ost) is also covered. The history rounds off with the creation of DBAG and the author then looks briefly at manufacturing and at collecting locomotive plates.

Ben