RMweb

Swanage Railway Wareham connecting service

D854_Tiger

• RMweb Premium

I note this service is now formed of a 4TC set are there any plans to use it in push-pull mode, rather than top and tail, noting the railway does have a class 33/1.

No - you need to remember....

(i) The 4 TC driving cabs do not have TPWS or OTMR/OTDR (thats data loggers as mandated by law) because they are owned by London Underground for use as hauled coaching stock.

(ii) Thanks to the NIMBYs of Wareham objecting to footbridge ramps the siding cannot be used for stabling / running round.

(iii) Related to the above if the loco suffered a failure it would cause chaos to franchised TOC operations. Having a second loco mitigates against this

(iv) The Swanage 33 may not be fitted with TPWS or OTMR / OTDR and is thus may not permitted on NR infrastructure.

It was but the service ended last weekend.

I believe that in 2018 the service will be run with one of the railways 2 car DMUs.  The only reason they weren't used this year is that they weren't ready, hence the hire in of West Coast Railways locos and the TC.

• RMweb Gold

As guzzler17 has indicated above, the use of the LT 4TC ended last week-end. i certainly saw the West Coast 37 and 33 hauling the LT 4TC set up through Eastleigh this on Monday this week. The 4TC set looks very smart in its LT livery, so much nicer than the faux teak in my opinion.

Godfrey

(ii) Thanks to the NIMBYs of Wareham objecting to footbridge ramps the siding cannot be used for stabling / running round.

Many of whom are disabled, who would struggle up the 'ramps', and live in the Northmoor/Northport area, some attend the day-centre that stands right beside the sidings.

Many of whom are disabled, who would struggle up the 'ramps', and live in the Northmoor/Northport area, some attend the day-centre that stands right beside the sidings.

I don't know the particular circumstances at Wareham, but in most places businesses, public buildings etc are being encouraged/obliged to install ramps precisely FOR disabled access. Why would they "struggle up the ramps"?

Just asking. 

I don't know the particular circumstances at Wareham, but in most places businesses, public buildings etc are being encouraged/obliged to install ramps precisely FOR disabled access. Why would they "struggle up the ramps"?

Just asking. 

I take it you've not seen the details/plans for the so called 'ramps', it's more than just replacing a couple of steps. :sungum:

Thanks for the replies, all good points well made.

I was forgetting the TPWS thing in particular. 

As a more appropriate DMU will be used next year, I trust the entire venture went well and has been a success for the railway.

I've never been to the Swanage Railway and although I was unable to make a trip this year will endeavour to next year. Coming from further afield (West Midlands,) it's always a preference for us that we can get there by rail rather than having to drive.

That's a right old trawl in a day plus where's the fun when you can't sample some of the local real ale.

Besides, I always love that LSWR racing stretch between Eastliegh and Basingstoke, one day I plan to do that behind a Merchant Navy.

• RMweb Premium

So you make the ramps longer and thus more gentle. OK so thats a few more yards but re you telling me the People of Wareham are that crippled that they cannot manage to walk a little further to cross the railway?

Of course lifts would avoid any extra walking BUT lifts can (and do) go wrong on occasion which then screws the people of Wareham till they can be repaired. A ramp cannot 'go wrong'

The legislation regarding accessibility for persons of limited mobility requires 'reasonable measures' to be taken to facilitate access - it does not mandate that there must be no inconvenience whatsoever or that the most expensive / technically advanced option be taken. As such fitting ramps to the footbridge is a perfectly acceptable solution to the need to retain access for those of limited mobility who need to cross the railway at this point.

Level crossings are dangerous and should be removed - and no amount of whining makes any difference, be it at Wareham or anywhere else.

Does the TC still have its control wiring, jumpers, and basic cab equipment, let alone fancy modern gubbins? I have a feeling not.

Yes, and it had an internal run over some Swanage metals with 33111 recently, not sure how far but it was over on some Facebook pages.

It also worked previously in push-pull mode while still in the teak livery, IIRC with a visiting class 73/1 during the diesel gala.

Apparently all the gear was still evident and worked perfectly when plugged in...obviously this is a world away from running as such on the main network these days though.

Level crossings are made dangerous by the intuallectually challenged who cause inconvenience for others. An inanimate object does not cause danger- consider the woman who complained when her dog ended up 10ft off the ground when she attached it to a lifting barrier. Let those who cause the problem answer for it!

• Like 1