sugar cube speakers

chaz

I am about to put sound into a steam loco (an AMS US NG C-16) and will be using a Econami and a sugar cube speaker in the tender. Can someone tell me please - does the sugar cube need any special arrangements or is it simply a matter of fixing it down? All the DCC will be in the tender - which already has an 8 pin socket and sound holes.

Chaz

Just solder the leads and stick somewhere convenient.

If you could squeeze it into the loco, that would be even better.

Thanks for that.

I would prefer to put the speaker in the loco but I think the only place where there is a space large enough is in the cab - so probably not a good idea!

Chaz

I am about to put sound into a steam loco (an AMS US NG C-16) and will be using a Econami and a sugar cube speaker in the tender. Can someone tell me please - does the sugar cube need any special arrangements or is it simply a matter of fixing it down? All the DCC will be in the tender - which already has an 8 pin socket and sound holes.

Chaz

The sugar cube speaker is an excellent piece of kit and all that is required is to solder the two brown wires from the decoder to the speaker, mount the supplied sound chamber to the rear of the speaker and then mount the sugar cube with a suitable mastic using the sound chamber only. Hopefully the speaker will,once mounted, point at the holes you have mentioned but it is possible that pointing another way might increase the bass response.

The sugar cube speaker is an excellent piece of kit and all that is required is to solder the two brown wires from the decoder to the speaker, mount the supplied sound chamber to the rear of the speaker and then mount the sugar cube with a suitable mastic using the sound chamber only. Hopefully the speaker will,once mounted, point at the holes you have mentioned but it is possible that pointing another way might increase the bass response.

No sound chamber was supplied, unless it is the plastic surround to the speaker.

very true but to ensure a solid, robust connection, i'd always recommend soldering 

Yes, always solder. If a wire comes loose it could short on something and blow (at least) the amplifier side of the decoder.

John

Edited by JJGraphics

Here is a snap....

attachicon.gifP1070570-1.jpg

HTH

Chaz

Yes that looks good. If the speaker is a loose fit in the sound chamber it will be essential to seal the speaker into the sound chamber . I am a fan of BluTac but I understand that there is a black mastic which is stronger.

The object of the exercise is to make sure that the rear of the speaker is completely separate, even airtight from the front of the speaker. Not paying attention to this will destroy your best efforts in having good sound in the loco. It is tempting to leave the sound chamber off or not seal it properly in the desire to get the job done or fit in a small space.

Resist this urge. You are now at the stage of deciding on a decoder and either writing a sound project yourself or buying one commercially.

Edited by Lady_Ava_Hay
added last paragraph

It looks like the sound chamber is already fixed to the speaker. If so, it's ready to install. If not, I would use super glue to fix it in place. Make sure you don't get any on the speaker.

If the speaker still doesn't fit or if you find somewhere in the loco but the speaker is too big, you can buy smaller chambers.

I use tacky black to stick the speaker in place but I suppose you could use almost anything. Double sided sticky pads are OK. 

Never consider fitting without the sound box. The sound from one side of the speaker will be cancelled out by the sound from the other side.

Yes that looks good. If the speaker is a loose fit in the sound chamber it will be essential to seal the speaker into the sound chamber . I am a fan of BluTac but I understand that there is a black mastic which is stronger.

The object of the exercise is to make sure that the rear of the speaker is completely separate, even airtight from the front of the speaker. Not paying attention to this will destroy your best efforts in having good sound in the loco. It is tempting to leave the sound chamber off or not seal it properly in the desire to get the job done or fit in a small space.

Resist this urge. You are now at the stage of deciding on a decoder and either writing a sound project yourself or buying one commercially.

Thanks for that. The speaker is firmly stowed in this plastic box and shows no signs of coming loose.

I have a Soundtraxx Econami decoder and current keeper ready to go in, with a US sound project which includes 12 different whistles, and three different "weights" of chuff - both of which can be chosen by setting a CV. Unfortunately the decoder did not have an 8 pin plug so I have modified the blanking plug by removing the wire connections and have soldered the decoder leads to that. I should have it all working very soon.

Chaz

Just a final word on the sugar cube.

This afternoon I have had the loco on a programming track and have set the loco address into CV1. As this wrote in successfully I judged it safe to test the sound by using the "driver's cab" test routine in the ESU software that works with the ESU programmer interface. The sound is astonishingly good from such a tiny speaker and I will be using the Econami/sugar cube combination in all the other locos I have to fit with DCC sound.

Chaz

• 3 weeks later...

Chaz,

I'll bet next month's pension that you don't stick to sugar cubes for very long.

Nothing wrong with them, in the right place, - thanks to PaulieBanger for suggesting 2 in my Heljan Class 17 Clayton, one in each nose!

There is an ever increasing range and variety of speakers coming onto the market, just look on these pages for comments on Charlie Petty's amazing EarthMoovers, or better yet, go to an exhibition or Model Rail show, and listen to a selection 'in the flesh'

Zimo's Dumbo range are a next-generation development of sugar cubes, using the same electrostatic drivers (early mobile phone speakers) but combined with 3D printed enclosures / sound chambers.

Alan.

Chaz,

I'll bet next month's pension that you don't stick to sugar cubes for very long.

Nothing wrong with them, in the right place, - thanks to PaulieBanger for suggesting 2 in my Heljan Class 17 Clayton, one in each nose!

There is an ever increasing range and variety of speakers coming onto the market, just look on these pages for comments on Charlie Petty's amazing EarthMoovers, or better yet, go to an exhibition or Model Rail show, and listen to a selection 'in the flesh'

Zimo's Dumbo range are a next-generation development of sugar cubes, using the same electrostatic drivers (early mobile phone speakers) but combined with 3D printed enclosures / sound chambers.

Alan.

Those 3D Dumbo's are really impressive for their size - the SLW 24 uses them to great effect.  But for bottom end rumble/growl an EM (earthmover) every time.....................

Are they already fitted ?

Yes the SLW 24 has 2 x Zimo Dumbo type speakers fitted in custom designed enclosures on sound fitted models.  The 3D printed enclosure versions, are available in a number of different sizes, both single and twin, photo below shows a twin version fitted to one of my Class 26's with Zimo ActiveDrive sound file.

post-2215-0-96865600-1507196373.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Ken

Did you have to do away with the Heljan circuit board in order to fit in the sugar cubes?

Stephen

Hi Stephen

The model is best stripped down to the bare metal chassis, to avoid getting any filings/swarf etc in the motor/drive mechanism. The fitted 3D Twin Zimo Dumbo, requires chassis metal removed to get it to fit, it's a tight squeeze. The original circuit board is replaced with a piece of vero board, and the decoder is then hard-wired. I also took the opportunity to update all the lighting with LED's. It's one way of getting good sound on an air braked 26 with under frame tanks.

HTH

Ken 

post-2215-0-78778200-1507282008.jpg

Hi Stephen

The model is best stripped down to the bare metal chassis, to avoid getting any filings/swarf etc in the motor/drive mechanism. The fitted 3D Twin Zimo Dumbo, requires chassis metal removed to get it to fit, it's a tight squeeze. The original circuit board is replaced with a piece of vero board, and the decoder is then hard-wired. I also took the opportunity to update all the lighting with LED's. It's one way of getting good sound on an air braked 26 with under frame tanks.

HTH

Ken 

It a bit easier putting speakers in the fuel tank.  Charlie

Crikey! Am I glad that there's plenty of room in the tender of an On30 steam loco - although I would prefer putting the speaker in the loco rather than the tender this is not really on with the Bachmann models. 

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Could`nt fit my preferred choice of base reflex speakers in my latest 7mm loco kit build, so having been impressed with zimo sugarcubes in my 4mm stock, I chose a larger version produced by Youchoos.

post-17779-0-45916400-1507749396_thumb.jpg

I only had space in the firebox and probably could have fitted two of these but I also had to find space for a stayalive capacitor.

post-17779-0-15912000-1507749451_thumb.jpg

Unlike Zimo`s I had to solder the wires to the speaker.

I`m pleased with the result.........

• Like 2