sugar cube speakers

chaz

Could`nt fit my preferred choice of base reflex speakers in my latest 7mm loco kit build, so having been impressed with zimo sugarcubes in my 4mm stock, I chose a larger version produced by Youchoos.

attachicon.gifDSC04074.jpg

I only had space in the firebox and probably could have fitted two of these but I also had to find space for a stayalive capacitor.

attachicon.gifDSC04081.jpg

Unlike Zimo`s I had to solder the wires to the speaker.

I`m pleased with the result.........

Is a 2W version available?

Whilst I don't want to steer this topic in a different direction.....

Looking at Ken's lovely photos of his Heljan 26, in post 20/21, I have also tried the Vero Board approach in the past, then a chance comment from Pauliebanger sent me down a different path, and I've now used this method in several of my Locos, - Heljan, Bachmann, and Hornby.

Using Zimo MX645P22 decoders matched to Zimo's Plux22 motherboard, gives the user a massive amount of user options, plus, (if your eyesight can stand the extreme sport mentality of tiny soldering!) a lot of extra space inside the loco for those all important decent speakers, and stayalive capacitors!

The Zimo Plux22 adapter board is very slim and fairly short, and has loads of solder tabs for anything you can think of, so, if like me, you like auto-fading cab lights, there's an answer!

Photos can be supplied if required,

Regards,

Alan.

Whilst I don't want to steer this topic in a different direction.....

Looking at Ken's lovely photos of his Heljan 26, in post 20/21, I have also tried the Vero Board approach in the past, then a chance comment from Pauliebanger sent me down a different path, and I've now used this method in several of my Locos, - Heljan, Bachmann, and Hornby.

Using Zimo MX645P22 decoders matched to Zimo's Plux22 motherboard, gives the user a massive amount of user options, plus, (if your eyesight can stand the extreme sport mentality of tiny soldering!) a lot of extra space inside the loco for those all important decent speakers, and stayalive capacitors!

The Zimo Plux22 adapter board is very slim and fairly short, and has loads of solder tabs for anything you can think of, so, if like me, you like auto-fading cab lights, there's an answer!

Photos can be supplied if required,

Regards,

Alan.

Hi Alan

What's the approx dimensions of the Plux22 adapter boards ? another option worth considering for hard wiring etc......

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

45 x 15 x 4mm

Have a look on Dcctrainautomation.co.uk

Look for the Zimo ADAPLU, which takes the 22 pin version, NOT the ADAPLUS which is for US Locos.

Currently they show as out of stock, but I've had a few from them, and I'm sure Vienna is over it's summer holidays :)

Edit : CoastalDCC are showing them in stock today, sun 15/10/17

Regards,

Alan.

Edited by bigal10

As promised, photo of my 'slightly' modified Heljan 26, with Zimo Plux22 ADAPLU, and Zimo MX645P22 plugged therein..

post-17922-0-19557000-1508599478_thumb.jpeg

Hopefully one can see also a Zimo SC68 capacitor on the right, and a YouChoos larger sugar cube speaker on the left. There is also one of Charlie Petty's replacement fuel tanks, containing one of his excellent bass enhanced speakers, unfortunately out of sight in the picture, but I can assure everyone that sound generated is pretty good!

All the lighting has been converted to SMD LED, some with SMD resistors, and some with standard resistors, as can be seen.

I have also got cab lighting, (the very thin wires blue-tacked under the roof), which as mentioned earlier, thanks to Pauliebanger's tweeks of the decoder, are directional, and auto extinguish on moving off.

Next job maybe to power that roof fan.....

I think the combined Plux22 components are very effective, and a lot smaller than the original Heljan kit.

By the way, the Zimo Plux 22 adapter has built-in gizmos that allow much larger capacitors to be connected, hence my loco just goes on forever!

Regards,

Alan.

As promised, photo of my 'slightly' modified Heljan 26, with Zimo Plux22 ADAPLU, and Zimo MX645P22 plugged therein..

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hopefully one can see also a Zimo SC68 capacitor on the right, and a YouChoos larger sugar cube speaker on the left. There is also one of Charlie Petty's replacement fuel tanks, containing one of his excellent bass enhanced speakers, unfortunately out of sight in the picture, but I can assure everyone that sound generated is pretty good!

All the lighting has been converted to SMD LED, some with SMD resistors, and some with standard resistors, as can be seen.

I have also got cab lighting, (the very thin wires blue-tacked under the roof), which as mentioned earlier, thanks to Pauliebanger's tweeks of the decoder, are directional, and auto extinguish on moving off.

Next job maybe to power that roof fan.....

I think the combined Plux22 components are very effective, and a lot smaller than the original Heljan kit.

By the way, the Zimo Plux 22 adapter has built-in gizmos that allow much larger capacitors to be connected, hence my loco just goes on forever!

Regards,

Alan.

Hi Alan 

Impressive, not a lot of room to squeeze things in either , I'll probably use one use of these Plux 22 adapter boards on my next 26 project.  Recommend you try some Black Tack in place of Blue Tack, it's much more sticky so less is required, it's ideal for wiring/leds etc - comes in a small roll - B&Q etc in the bathroom section sold as Homelux Bath Seal.

Regards

Ken

Hi Alan 

Impressive, not a lot of room to squeeze things in either , I'll probably use one use of these Plux 22 adapter boards on my next 26 project.  Recommend you try some Black Tack in place of Blue Tack, it's much more sticky so less is required, it's ideal for wiring/leds etc - comes in a small roll - B&Q etc in the bathroom section sold as Homelux Bath Seal.

Regards

Ken

Glad that bath seal is useful for something Ken cos its no good for sealing a bath I can tell you ! :no: