Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

union mills

mr b

Reading the very first post does Colin introduce a new loco each year? If so anyone know what the 2011 model will be? Something with inside cylinders and a tender is as much as I can guess.

Tim

Hi Tim

Yes, generally one loco each year. I would be surprised if anyone (Apart from Colin Heard) knows yet what it will be, but I do concur that the two criteria you mention are probably a given.

One I would love to see would be a D16/3 even if there did have to be compromises with the tender to fit the mechanism.

Otherwise how about something with a Scottish flavour - a "Glen" would fit the criteria perfectly.

Probably both a mile out...

Regards

Roy

I've been trying to persuade him for as long as I can remember of the merits of producing models of pre-grouping prptotypes which ran through into BR days without any major rebuilding ... so that even if he only offers them in "Big 4" and BR liveries, the option for retro-painting them will always be there.

Personally, I should like to see one of the GER 2-4-0s ...

• 1 month later...

Just tried ringing UM, they are shut for the winter break until 14 February. Sounds more like hibernation than just a break!

I may be wrong, but I think 'they' (i.e. Union Mills) may just be Colin himself! If that is the case, it's quite understandable for him to give himself a break from loco production and just do ' life things'! At the very most, Colin runs a very small company!

B)

I can wait until he gets back to work, but it will be nice to discover which inside cylinder 0-6-0 or 4-4-0 tender loco he'll offer us next!

Now behave, chaps! No wish lists!

Seriously, UM deserve recognition - clean simplicity, simple solid locos which work and work and work!

Richard

Seriously, UM deserve recognition - clean simplicity, simple solid locos which work and work and work!

Richard

Absolutely!

And terribly under-priced, if the bids they fetch on Ebay are anything to judge by ...

Just tried ringing UM, they are shut for the winter break until 14 February. Sounds more like hibernation than just a break!

Not unusual, Colin Heard often shuts up shop for a few weeks at a time.

I do not know if he operates completely on his own, I had always assumed he does. I believe a fair few elements of the work gets subbed out though.

I can olny endorse what others say, good robust reliable locos which run well and can be detailed for those who would wish to. I would personally recommend them.

Thanks to him we have all sorts of locos in N RTR that the 00 boys do not have, mostly pre-Grouping.

Roy

Thanks to him we have all sorts of locos in N RTR that the 00 boys do not have, mostly pre-Grouping.

Roy

Wish he could be persuaded to give us a few more of the pre-grouping liveries ... but I appreciate I'm in a true minority there!!

All the same, with Dapol giving us the M7 in LSWR livery, and the Terrier now into its FOURTH alternative identity in LBSCR livery, we can only assume that SOMEBODY is buying them, so there must be a market of sorts ...

• 2 weeks later...

Just placed an order with Colin. Good news if that the prices have not gone up with the VAT increase (though as its his first day of trading since the increase maybe he has not adjusted them yet).

Anyway the new loco for 2012 2011 will be......(drumroll)

an LNWR Cauliflower.

Just placed an order with Colin. Good news if that the prices have not gone up with the VAT increase (though as its his first day of trading since the increase maybe he has not adjusted them yet).

Anyway the new loco for 2012 will be......(drumroll)

an LNWR Cauliflower.

Was that 2012?

Is there VAT on the Isle of Man is it not a Tax Haven

The Isle of Man has a seperate goverment to us (Tynwald), but is part of the United Kingdom so you still pay vat at 20%! The Channel Islands (Jersey,Guernsey,Alderney and Sark) dont pay vat when exporting from their country or when we export to them.

Ta Peter.

You don't pay VAT on things bought from a trader whose turnover is low enough that they don't have to register for VAT ... unless they register voluntarily.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Colin aims to keep his turnover below the threshold, for obvious reasons!

A Cauliflower, eh? Fantastic ... we've never had an LNWR 0-6-0 before, and it's much needed. The LMS boys will love it ... but more to teh point, us pre-groupers will love it!

A Cauliflower, eh? Fantastic ... we've never had an LNWR 0-6-0 before, and it's much needed. The LMS boys will love it ... but more to teh point, us pre-groupers will love it!

We have had one, Colin Heard has already done the LNWR G2 "super D".

Cheers

Roy

Ah, it seems that we're getting crossed wires. The cauliflower is an 0-6-0, the G2 is an 0-8-0. Hence comments about not having had an LNWR 0-6-0 before. (The cauliflower being the first)

Sorry, it would have paid me to read the post more carefully :-(

Roy

Has anyone fitted the latest finer profile (RP25 or better) backened N gauge wheels to a Union Mills loco? IMO it's those chunky shiny wheels that are probably the major let down on them.

G.

Not tried it but there isn't any fundamental reason in the design you couldn't do it. You'd just need to get the isolation on the right side if the axle centre is live or add pickups if not. The tender wheels are geared so would be trickier- and actually the bigger win as they are probably the weakest spot on the chassis. Some blackening would also no doubt work wonders.

People have turned the wheels down for 2mm fine scale which suggests a lathe wielding wizard could also turn them down to RP25

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Time to give Colin a 'Thank you!'. I posted a request for his current list on Tuesday 8th March from mainland UK, to the Isle of Man, and received the list Thursday 10th. Then I posted my order and cheque on Friday 11th March. The loco arrived on Tuesday morning, 15th March. With our once-a-day rural mail collections and deliveries, these times could not have been bettered - so I'll not talk about 'snail mail' for a bit now!

Well done, and thanks, to Union Mills, to Royal Mail Letters and to Isle of Man Post Office staff!

Richard

Has anyone fitted the latest finer profile (RP25 or better) backened N gauge wheels to a Union Mills loco? IMO it's those chunky shiny wheels that are probably the major let down on them.

G.

The wheels are actually relatively fine profile, certainly not steam roller. Not sure how close to RP25 they are but their flanges are certainly finer than old Farish.

As such they really only need painted to fit in with other stock if you're using code 55 or code 80:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&image=15767

Cheers,

Alan

In an era where the major manufacturers seem to be falling over each other to bring N gauge modelers extremely detailed but fragile models that don't always run well nor pull much of a train, Union Mills continues to sell very durable models that run well, will pull your teeth out, and are certainly well detailed enough for my needs. I just received a J11 and J38 from Mr. Heard and like the other four UM locos I already had I couldn't be happier with them. I strongly encourage other modelers to give UM serious consideration when they think about purchasing a new loco.

Most of us know Union Mills does not have a website. That is fine, but it does make it difficult for those of us who want to see what we are thinking about buying. My question is: has anyone purchased a new J39 recently direct from UM, and could they tell me if daylight can be seen under the boiler? If so, could they please post a photo of their loco here? I have seen many photos of UM J39s on auction websites and they all show the casting is solid under the boiler, unlike UM's later models. But I suspect the J39s I have seen for sale are older models and I wonder if Mr. Heard has recently retooled the J39 casting to allow for daylight to be seen under the boiler, as on the J38. Does anyone know?

Many thanks,

Matt

Because photos of Union Mills locomotives can be difficult to find I decided to take some photographs of the six I own and post them here. I hope someone finds them useful. The models are (top to bottom) a D11, B12, G2, 7F, J11, and J38. The coins in the photo for scale are UK (left) and US pennies. They reflected onto the locos in the photos; the finish of the locos is not discoloured.

Matt

post-4367-0-46662900-1300663336_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-86507100-1300663354_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-23317400-1300663372_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-71235100-1300663421_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-20805400-1300663437_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-24422600-1300663450_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Useful? Having just taken delivery of the excellent J11 I'm now going to have to save up and get the D11 in BR black. I don't think Colin reads this board, but if he does, any chance of a J10? Great, thanks Matt.