Ex GWR Fruit "D"

jointline

Given that some were built during early BR days at Swindon (1948-56), it's probable that they received crimson livery. Indeed, given the frequency of repaints on NPCCS, some probably went from crimson into blue, without ever having been maroon.

I thought these wern't technically NPCCS so didn't carry crimson? Or am I reading the instructions wrong?

In GWR days, they had been 'Brown Stock', in the same way as Siphons and Monsters, suggesting that they were considered to be Passenger-Rated, rather than Freight stock. They were also fitted with lighting, I think.

They were also fitted with lighting, I think.

They were, gas or electric according to taste and build (GW gas, BR, elctric). How often this light was used and whether it would work if and when required is something of a moot point! There were gas tanks and small battery boxes accordingly. The BR built vehicles with the elctric light had a switch on the ends which is quite distinctive. The other difference worth noting is the tie bars between the W irons: rod on the GW, strip on the BR. Details on Paul Bartlett's site and, as it happens in my RMWeb III workbench pages - see link in the signature.

Adam

Thank you to everybody who replied. I'm half reassured by the fact that Dapol have one in crimson, but I haven't yet managed to track down a colour picture of one actually with the livery (bearing in mind that so far as I remember they in any case rapidly became what I call "parcel train brown") and neither have I found anything written about them being in crimson.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you to everybody who replied. I'm half reassured by the fact that Dapol have one in crimson, but I haven't yet managed to track down a colour picture of one actually with the livery (bearing in mind that so far as I remember they in any case rapidly became what I call "parcel train brown") and neither have I found anything written about them being in crimson.

But alas the Dapol one has white lettering (even on the latest production run I think?) and the only ones in revenue use with white lettering which I ever saw were in blue livery.

• RMweb Gold

Yes but don't forget that Dapol released a large lettered GW version of this wagon on a vehicle that was totally wrong for a wagon built in the early 40s. :huh: They are nice models though.

Archived