Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

advice on suitable decoder please............

geoffers

Slowly converting my locos to dcc. have done about 30-odd. Next in line is the Bachmann Standard Class 4 mogul, the Bachmann Class 5 4-6-0, and the Bachmann Jinty tank. I have checked online guides and these give guidance but I am not sure how up to date these are. I am OK with budget decoders, such as offered by Gaugemaster, Lenz, and I read good things about budget Zimo chaps. BUT with chips fit the above loco models? I am off to Peterborough on 14th October so can stock up there. Much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann standards run very well with the Lenz Standard+ decoder. Slightly tight fit in the class 4 but it fits above the weight in the boiler.  Make sure it goes in face up though so nothing's touching the metal weight.   The class 5 is dead easy because there's a slot in the chassis for the decoder. Can't comment on the Jinty. 

Also bear in mind the class 5's gearing means that its top speed is relatively low - mine run at no more than 60mph which is OK for my layout. 

• RMweb Premium

I'm just trying some Hattons 8pin (no harness) direct fit. Fitted two (Hornby Arthurs and West Country (airsmoothed) and seem OK. Basic and without frills but good for reasonable slow speed, acceleration and deceleration and control. Less than a tenner.

Phil

I have used digitrax, gaugemaster, tcs, and lenz with no problems at all. For me it is about finding a chip that will fit into the recesses of a loco. Some have not, for instance, hence hunting around for a specific chip for a particular loco. 

Hi, I have used Lenz, TCS, Bachmann, Hornby & ESU for sound, but have now standerdised on Zimo for both sound & non sound as I have found that the programming of CV's easy and they seem to give me the best control. Also there is a wide range of sizes and I have not had any space issues even with narrow gauge locos.

regards

mikeg

Thanks to all suggestions.  To let you know what has happened - well I ordered two x Zimo MX600R and two x Lenz Standard plus online from Digitrains at 3-43pm yesterday and, blow me down with a sock full of feathers, the postie arrived with them at 11-00am this morning. Wow!  Moving onto the fitting I found that all three of my Bachmann Jinties are early versions pre-DCC ready. Well I ain't going to do any hard-wire soldering at my age.B*gg*r! So will need to buy a couple of later Jinties from somewhere and do a body swap. Nonetheless the Zimo chips fitted the Bachmann Standard Moguls nicely  though I had to alter CV6 to make the speed control a little more manageable. The Lenz fitted the Bachmann Standard 5s nicely and apart from bits dropping off on body removal all is well and running.

Edited by geoffers

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all suggestions.  To let you know what has happened - well I ordered two x Zimo MX600R and two x Lenz Standard plus online from Digitrains at 3-43pm yesterday and, blow me down with a sock full of feathers, the postie arrived with them at 11-00am this morning. Wow!  Moving onto the fitting I found that all three of my Bachmann Jinties are early versions pre-DCC ready. Well I ain't going to do any hard-wire soldering at my age.B*gg*r! So will need to buy a couple of later Jinties from somewhere and do a body swap. Nonetheless the Zimo chips fitted the Bachmann Standard Moguls nicely  though I had to alter CV6 to make the speed control a little more manageable. The Lenz fitted the Bachmann Standard 5s nicely and apart from bits dropping off on body removal all is well and running.

Hattons (and others) provide a fitting service and they should give you a price for doing your existing Jockos/Jinties as a hard wire. Compare that to the cost of new loco's?

Phil