Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Help - Anhydrous Ammonia tankers

post-24949-0-51100400-1507160136_thumb.jpgHi everyone,

For a new club layout, I have been requested to build a train of  4-wheel Anhydrous Ammonia [AA] tankers.

Having researched Paul Bartlett's site [thanks Paul, for a fantastic resource if you're reading this], pestered  most club members for photos of the 1970's version [with the collar and walkway around the valves on top] from their book collections .

I have finally sorted out [after 18+ months research] the type and shape of the valves, the size of the collar and have been able to guestimate all the major dimensions not available from Barrowmore's fantastic archive [thanks to you, as well]post-24949-0-55772700-1507159595_thumb.j

I have created a couple of prototypes that are looking good [in my eye anyway], but I wish to use see-through etched walkway material, not plastic diamond sheet. The final fleet vehicles will be better finished , this photo being a proof-of-concept stage model.

Any ideas of source would be much appreciated.

Also, as I need  a dozen or so, I am thinking of possibly using a 3-d scanner-printing service the barrels.

The consist of parts to create one wagon are 2-Hornby TTA chassis, cut and shut appropriately and 1+1/3rd Airfix tank barrels with scratch-built parts for tank support and collar.

So, I have gathered 24 Hornby TTA/ Kellogg/ Weetabix/Cadbury long wheelbase wagons [same TTA chassis is on the cheap vans] and 18 Airfix barrels/kits, most of the chassis having now been made. Surprisingly, they run through Setrack points both pulled and pushed without trouble, the wheelbase having been extended from 60mm to 70mm and the wagon overall from 120 to 140mm.

Photos will follow if anyone is interested.

All the best

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement, folks

Mike, - yeah, even suggested them to makers a couple of years back, but no one took the bait or the hint, so.................................

Paul, already have several downloads from you, thanks.

Will be double-checking and buying more when it comes to weathering / rusting the stock.

It must be correct at my club, otherwise they will keep ribbing me over my surname.

What is it?

RUST !!!!

Gordon, yes, There is a plastic laboratory tube of the correct diameter, but it's more expensive than kit-bashing,. The piece I bought will probably make 3 tanks, it's an area still under review.

The other option is to use the latest tanker wagon release, absolutely perfect, but an expensive way to go, cutting 2 into 1, but the catwalks are the most realistic so far.

I try to build my stock millimetre-perfect and with minimal compromises from other peoples' junk and throw-outs, it's cheaper that way.

I've had a quick look around Gaydon Show this evening, cannot see any brass that would make my cat-walks. Spoke to one stand, and as usual, no one seems interested in providing even a discussion about production.

And they are complaining of going out of business.

The fundamental principle of any business is to provide what a customer needs, is there anyone out there doing cost-effective brasswork these days?

I'm happy to use a flat sheet, also maybe draw up a fold-up design, but at what cost?

Anyone else interested in some?  Either sheet or full etch design?

Who stocks a decent range of etches these days?

Please help.

• RMweb Gold

I've had a quick look around Gaydon Show this evening, cannot see any brass that would make my cat-walks. Spoke to one stand, and as usual, no one seems interested in providing even a discussion about production.

And they are complaining of going out of business.

The fundamental principle of any business is to provide what a customer needs, is there anyone out there doing cost-effective brasswork these days?

I'm happy to use a flat sheet, also maybe draw up a fold-up design, but at what cost?

Anyone else interested in some?  Either sheet or full etch design?

Who stocks a decent range of etches these days?

Please help.

Draw it up yourself and send it to PPD as many modellers have done, don't expect manufacturers to have your degree of excitement and interest in your project.

Mike.

:derisive:  Persistence pays off.  :)

1 - found some plastic card in the Evergreen range on Eileen's stand that should suffice for HSDT cant-rail  and other grilles -  :)  ladies  :)  

2 - some bass wood that will work well as a steel bar load on BEV wagons, again Eileen's. Thanks Derek for your help on this topic.  <   www.eileensemporium.com   >

3 - found mesh that will be acceptable for walkways on the Anhydrous Ammonia tankers and other modern image applications, thanks for this go to Aspire Models <   www.aspiregiftsandmodels.co.uk    >

So, now, forward once more on these projects, pictures will follow.

Pete Rust

Yes, lads [Redditch-mrc.com], l now promise more time on the layout downstairs. the tea-boy says so!!

:thankyou:  :thankyou:  to all.

• Like 1

Also

Thanks to:-

Mike, l appreciate your advice.

l do not expect manufacturers to have any excitement, just hard-headed business sense, without this, they will not stay in business.

However, scaled basic manufacturing items, whether steel sections, meshes, checker plate, wood shapes etc, etc. should have good life and marketplace to all and any scratch-builders.

Our club seem to make everything themselves, and will use what can be found or adapted, much being re-cycled other-use components, a bit like Allan Downes using empty personal hygiene containers and the like, so a specific item can sometimes beat their initiatives.

Jonathan,

Thanks for the lead, I shall try contacting Pete Harvey.

And to others,

thanks for reading the post, in case you could help, it's what our hobby is about.

Pete

• 1 year later...

Thanks Mike,

I think l need to put together a set of drawings for all the various etches that l need, no one seems to list a suitable 4mm diamond mesh walkway, or ladder for this application.

Or does anyone know differently? After all, it is used universally on vehicles and structures.

Rumney models do ladders and walkways for various earlier tankers. Something there may be suitable?

Also, see Dave Frank's Wharfeside thread, as that includes how he is doing the earlier ammonia tanks using plastruct tubes and domed ends which are designed to suit.

HTH,

Edited by Jub45565

Ah!

Victoria, eh?

Jub 45565

Many thanks for the leads.

Further legwork for my digits

If a journey is easy, it is not worth starting.

At least, that is what I teĺ myself when I catch up with my 2 projects, these tankers and a full-blown home-built hsdt, avoiding all the pitfalls in both.

Pete