High Voltage Warning Signs

Hello all,

Does anyone know of any 'High Voltage' type warning signs for 00 gauge use that would have been used in the 1970s. I am building a small sub station and need the appropriate warning signage.

I have had a look online but not come up with anything other than modern warning signs.

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if there was a standard version for substations but on approaching electrified areas there were big versions of the flashes on stock. There was one at Catcliffe on the entrance to Tinsley from the old road years after the overheads had gone

BR Substation

Well I'm saying BR but I am not sure, it looks like a small type of substation which was located in the car park at West Blyth depot in Northumberland, sadly I have no photos of it and searching online hasn't brought up anything.

I thought you were on about one for traction power.

Are you sure that one isn't a NEEB one?

Hi,

No it was a diesel maintenance depot but I'm sure it was a substation, it is clearly fenced off with what looks like some sort of electrical equipment inside.

I have found a photo of it but I cant find out whose photo it is to ask for permission to post it here.

Edited by michaelp

• RMweb Gold

I would expect it to have been under the control of the BR depot as it was on there property, and there was and still is a power station within a short distance of the depot.

There is a difference between 'domestic' and 'traction' substations in the seventies which still pervades today. Most depots required sufficient electricity to warrant an 11kV substation fed by the local Leccy Board and not controlled by anybody on BR. Traction substations were (and still are) controlled by staff and equipment owned by the railway. Consequently all BR traction substations had a notice on the door or gate giving details of the location and telephone number of the Electrical Control Room that managed the substation. There is a difference in notices attached to 'domestic' 11kV substations and railway traction substations simply because they were managed by different companies who had their own standards, which why I asked the question in post #2

Except that in the NE, by a strange quirk of history, I believe that the area electricity board ended-up as the owner of some traction substations - I only discovered this recently, and it surprised me.

My hazy recollection of traction substation warning signage in the 1970s is that there wasn't a great deal of it, possibly only on doors/gates, not on fences as is sometimes applied now, and that it was fairly 'low key', red and white, rather than the modern yellow and black.

The H&S@WetcA was very new (1974), and the E@WR well in the future, so practices, in all respect, were still quite 'trad'. Certainly on S, LM and LT (I don't know about NE) there was still a lot of 'open' DC switchgear, for instance.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Except that in the NE, by a strange quirk of history, I believe that the area electricity board ended-up as the owner of some traction substations - I only discovered this recently, and it surprised me.

My hazy recollection of traction substation warning signage in the 1970s is that there wasn't a great deal of it, possibly only on doors/gates, not on fences as is sometimes applied now, and that it was fairly 'low key', red and white, rather than the modern yellow and black.

The H&S@WetcA was very new (1974), and the E@WR well in the future, so practices, in all respect, were still quite 'trad'. Certainly on S, LM and LT (I don't know about NE) there was still a lot of 'open' DC switchgear, for instance.

Kevin

The first issue of any standard in Railtrack days was 1997 when the yellow and black signs were mandated instead of the red flash and lettering on a white background. Having said that, I took the photo below in July 2009. It is of a sub at Sandhills, and there it is with a red flash and lettering giving the name and telephone number of the Electrical Control Room. I expect it has been there untouched since the sub was built..

post-7024-0-12830700-1507985729_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up.

post-7024-0-56610100-1507986163_thumb.jpg