Cheltenham 10th & 11th April

• RMweb Gold

Regrettably it's so far off my route to Trainwest that it's back to the old 'which one do I go to?' syndrome (it will be Trainwest all being well). This is an unfortunate fact - it increasingly seems - of the show calendar and while I would happily go to more shows if I could (particularly if they are rail accessible)clashes do prevent that.

(the other day of the weekend has somone else's name on it of course ;) so I can't do the two)

To paraphrase:

Regrettably ... it's back to the old 'which one do I go to?' syndrome ... along with Trainwest . This is an unfortunate fact - it alll to frequently seems - of the show calendar and while I would happily go to more shows if they were not all (it seems) on during the same weekends ... clashes do prevent that.

Sadly neither of these shows are on route to The 10th Narrow Gauge South that is a pity as I like Trainwest (usually a good show) but this will be the third year of clashes.

As far as the calendar is concerned there has been nothing since Alton for me - other than the parking fiasco of Basingstoke. Yet the next two months seem busy.

I know there are a lot of things to plan when it comes to organising a show. I also guess it is the last thing on the minds of the club (think local act local) but I do think there could be more national coordination - it must help with the availability of layouts. There are some months in the calendar when there seems to be nothing in the South (and I'm sure it is the same up north).

I think you will find Easter has a part to play on this as Cheltenham is generally the first weekend in April (indeed 6 years ago today was my first show demonstarting there) except when its Easter, hence the reason for the clash.

I was forced to move Trainwest back from May because ExpoEM and Derby changed their dates to clash with Trainwest last year! Both of these shows have some of our traders. This year those traders have returned to Trainwest.

Trainwest has gone back to the second weekend in April where it will remain for the forseeable future. Cheltenham is normally the first weekend in April, but as Rob has pointed out, the variable date of Easter has forced Cheltenham to move this year.

Geoff Endacott

Exhibition Manager, Trainwest

Archived