Hi,

I've recently uploaded a YouTube video regarding improving diesel head codes, in particular on Hejan locos. 

Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bUaP_2dF3A&t=29s

However, has anyone tried this on a Hornby's Class 50?

Regards Charlie

Really great video ! 

For the first time I can now see how you get the numbers/ letters into those bloody headcode frames .

Admire your patience and perseverance separating the body from the chassis , I might have ended up launching mine into orbit !

For me its perhaps a case of never work with Children ,Animals or Model Locos  :no: 

Albie

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I've recently uploaded a YouTube video regarding improving diesel head codes, in particular on Hejan locos. 

Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bUaP_2dF3A&t=29s

However, has anyone tried this on a Hornby's Class 50?

Regards Charlie

Nice video Charlie - admire your presentation skills!

Those Precision labels Headcodes really are the dogs whatsits aren't they? I cannot imagine how many we have got through as all the Abbotswood locos are fitted with them - and John Peck at Precision Labels has been extremely helpful over the years supplying sheets of just the characters we use most of - 1, 6 , M & V - to avoid massive wastage.

Your method of reusing the original glazing works well when there is a retaining lip inside the headcode aperture for the Precision Labels headcode frame  to sit on and you can reuse the original glazing when the manufacturers have not printed the headcode  on the inside of the glazing as is standard practice with Bachmann - although the original headcodes as fitted to Bachmann locos look far more realistic than the Heljan ones as seen in the Warship in your picture.

I have yet to find a way to remove this printing without fogging the glazing.....

So to get around this we habitually ditch the original glazing and reverse the mounting method using sellotape to retain in place behind the frame - and then replace the glazing with clear acetate cut from model box windows or internal sleeves. As I am mean I cut the original characters out before fitting - less potential for wastage and it is easier to gut thinks to fit this way if you adopt the following sequence:

1. Fit sellotape behind aperture, sticky side forwards

2. Cut frame to fit, mount in aperture on to sellotape, sticky side forwards

3. Insert individual digits on to frame

4. Cut and fit glazing

Not done a Hornby 50 - too late in time frame for us - but if you scroll through this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69217-Bachmann-class-43-expanding-the-fleet/page-20 and/or look at our layout videos all the locos are done this way

And working timetables are a great source of information for any given time period/location pick them up off second hand book sellers at shows

Kind regards

Phil