Ideas for buildings in a cement works.

Do you want chalk by rail either internal or mainline then what sort of wagons? Google Barrington Rugby Cement as they had Low height tipplers and associated wagon tippler. Tunnel had some iu wagons very similar to BR sand tipplers. Coal for the kilns either in hoppers or minerals so either another tippler or hopper house.

A wagon repair siding and or shed plus somewhere to maintain and fuel the locomotives!

Hornby are doing a Barrington Sentinel in the next batch!

Try looking up Dewsbury cemment terminal, still rail connected. Do you just want the cemment plant or you could incude a concrete batching and casting plant with associated aggregate storage and loading/unloading facility.

I have a train that consists of one pca wagon and one mfa wagon for aggregates. So probably just the pca unloading points and aggregates storage.

Edited by crazynitwit

Do you really want to model a complete cement works? They cover a vast area of ground - this set of photographs will give you some idea:

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2903.JPG

I was thinking of modelling a small private one that only deals with small trains of cement and aggregates going in with a couple of trains taking bags of powdered concrete out.

Do you want chalk by rail either internal or mainline then what sort of wagons? Google Barrington Rugby Cement as they had Low height tipplers and associated wagon tippler. Tunnel had some iu wagons very similar to BR sand tipplers. Coal for the kilns either in hoppers or minerals so either another tippler or hopper house.

A wagon repair siding and or shed plus somewhere to maintain and fuel the locomotives!

As I'm modelling a modern image layout would the kilns still be heated with coal or fuel. I already have a sentinel but another one can never hurt.

Halling in Kent might be worth a look - the actual bulk of the works was "off-scene" but there were a cluster of building at the rail terminal - also exported cement in Presflo's / Early powder tanks and bagged cement in the APCM PO vans too.

or have a look at Northenden - not a cement works but a nice little cement terminal

Edited by Southernman46

Halling in Kent might be worth a look - the actual bulk of the works was "off-scene" but there were a cluster of building at the rail terminal - also exported cement in Presflo's / Early powder tanks and bagged cement in the APCM PO vans too.

or have a look at Northenden - not a cement works but a nice little cement terminal

From looking at northenden I'm getting the impression that a cement terminal is just a point at which the cement and aggregates are mixed. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Sounds an interesting layout and look forward to seeing its construction!

yes, ive built the baseboard and glued down the track. so just got to get a move on with the scenery. ive done little bits like getting started with the concrete road surface next to the rails but not much else.

i believe they may have already brought it out as im pretty sure i saw one in a local model shop when i was buying a pca wagon.

• RMweb Gold

How about a cement works similar to Moorswater, Liskeard, Cornwall?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.4519655,-4.4882853,167m/data=!3m1!1e3

Gordon A

Sites like this are distribution depots, not 'works'. Cement is not manufactured here, just stored, processed and distributed. In some cases it is also mixed with aggregates to make concrete.

• RMweb Gold

May I ask the location of the cement works photographed?

thanks

The photographs were taken at Hope, which was a Lafarge (ex Blue Circle) site at the time of work in progress to increase the rail traffic flow. The site has changed hands many times in its life and is now, I think, owned by the Breedon Cement group. If you enter 'Hope Cement Woks' into your favourite search engine you will be able to sit and read about for hours on end. . . . . . . . . 

Sites like this are distribution depots, not 'works'. Cement is not manufactured here, just stored, processed and distributed. In some cases it is also mixed with aggregates to make concrete.

In that case my layout could be classified as a distribution centre. Not a works but the buildings are similar anyway.

What sort of Walters kits would you suggest.

A quick look at Walthers website brings these higlights and can be found at several UK stockists, Pooleys Puffers on the Team Valley at Gateshead and White Rose models at Bedale Station are two stockists that spring to mind! These are the ones that appear to best fit!

https://www.walthers.com/walthers-cornerstone

https://www.walthers.com/modern-grain-head-house-w-silos-kit-9-1-2-x-5-x-11-quot-24-1-x-12-7-x-27-9cm

https://www.walthers.com/medusa-cement-company-kit-9-x-7-x-11-quot-22-5-x-17-5-x-27-5cm

https://www.walthers.com/valley-cement-plant-kit

Mark Saunders