RMweb

Hornby 'Royal Scot' tender body

cctransuk

• RMweb Premium

I have just purchased a current model Hornby 'Royal Scot' 46165 "The Ranger" (R3558), which I am renumbering as 46114 "Coldstream Guardsman".

The latter loco should have a rivetted tender by the 1960s, whereas 46165 comes with a welded tender.

Does anyone have a rivetted, lined green, Hornby Stanier tender body that they would be willing to sell / swap, please?

PM me if you can help.

Thanks in anticipation,

John Isherwood.

post-2274-0-92328500-1509383503.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I have just purchased a current model Hornby 'Royal Scot' 46165 "The Ranger" (R3558), which I am renumbering as 46114 "Coldstream Guardsman".

The latter loco should have a rivetted tender by the 1960s, whereas 46165 comes with a welded tender.

Does anyone have a rivetted, lined green, Hornby Stanier tender body that they would be willing to sell / swap, please?

PM me if you can help.

Thanks in anticipation,

John Isherwood.

Worth noting, that the tender top mounting points may have been altered, due to the dcc 'stuff' being moved to the tender - so the older tenders may not fit, without alteration

• RMweb Premium

Worth noting, that the tender top mounting points may have been altered, due to the dcc 'stuff' being moved to the tender - so the older tenders may not fit, without alteration

I'm not averse to mods - I'd just like to get a rivetted tender top in matching Hornby lined green, so that I don't have to repaint / reline the loco.

Thanks,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not averse to mods - I'd just like to get a rivetted tender top in matching Hornby lined green, so that I don't have to repaint / reline the loco.

Thanks,

John Isherwood.

Archer's Rivets and some light(ish) weathering ;)

Or find a prototype with a flush tender - I had a similar problem with a Parallel Boilered Patriot :/

• RMweb Premium

Archer's Rivets and some light(ish) weathering ;)

Or find a prototype with a flush tender - I had a similar problem with a Parallel Boilered Patriot :/

I have the Archers rivets in stock - and an old Airfix rivetted Stanier tender body, for that matter.

This is just a shot in the dark to see if I can find a matching rivetted tender to go with a brand new loco.

46114 it has to be - I need a 21C allocated loco.

Regards,

John isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

I have the Archers rivets in stock - and an old Airfix rivetted Stanier tender body, for that matter.

This is just a shot in the dark to see if I can find a matching rivetted tender to go with a brand new loco.

46114 it has to be - I need a 21C allocated loco.

Regards,

John isherwood.

21C that's practically a Southern Railways Bulleid numbering ;)

Joking aside, I think it's the reason I've on renumbered/renamed one Royal Scot - as they are a minefield with their tenders in Taper Boilered (rebuilt) form.

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Premium

Also worth noting that 46165 comes in Hornby's very own 'Improved BR Green' so will probably not match earlier renditions of the same colour.

I had wondered about that.

I may have to resort to having the new 'Improved BR Green' scanned and matched for a spray can, with which I can then spray the old Airfix rivetted Stanier tender body. (The new 'Improved BR Green' is, IMHO, still only halfway there - it doesn't bear comparison with Precision BR loco green).

Matching the lining in the form of a transfer will be interesting !!

Perhaps I might as well just bite the bullet, and spray the lot with Precision BR loco green. :scratchhead:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I had wondered about that.

I may have to resort to having the new 'Improved BR Green' scanned and matched for a spray can, with which I can then spray the old Airfix rivetted Stanier tender body. (The new 'Improved BR Green' is, IMHO, still only halfway there - it doesn't bear comparison with Precision BR loco green).

Matching the lining in the form of a transfer will be interesting !!

Perhaps I might as well just bite the bullet, and spray the lot with Precision BR loco green. :scratchhead:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Before biting, are you absolutely certain it had a riveted tender all through its life. Black 5s certainly played musical boilers and musical tenders - in Scotland at least

• RMweb Premium

Before biting, are you absolutely certain it had a riveted tender all through its life. Black 5s certainly played musical boilers and musical tenders - in Scotland at least

It did at the time in question - I have a number of photos, and they are what highlighted the lack of rivets on the Hornby tender. Quite right for 46165, but not for 46114, unfortunately.

post-2274-0-90620300-1509443041_thumb.jpg (Copyright unknown)

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got a Mainline stanier rivetted tender(from a Royal Scot) if your thinking to do a repaint.

You will need to remove the buffer beam off either the Hornby tender chassis, or the Mainline body.

Thank you - however, I have two Airfix RTR Scot tender bodies with nicely reproduced rivets, so I'll use one of them when / if I can justify a complete repaint.

Regards,

John Isherwood.