RMweb

Great Central Newspaper Train.

D854_Tiger

Back in the day, I believe there was a northbound newspaper train that ran from Marylebone departing before, or around, midnight that ran to Sheffield, Manchester and even conveyed through vans for Liverpool Central.

The service was notable for also conveying one or two mk1s for passengers, as far as Manchester, though was never advertised as such.

I believe the train was well known amongst squaddies who would use it to return home on leave though not before enjoying a London night out.

Can anyone confirm that this train did indeed run and for how long.

I believe it may have continued to run even after the GC timetable was infamously cut back to just three semi-fasts Nottingham trains per day and ran long enough to go over to diesel power.

It ran I think pretty much to the end of the GC as a through route. I well remember waiting as a newspaper lad for the papers to arrive if the train was late, this would be after April 1966, so likely diesel power on the GC or after it was transferred to the Midland route.

There's a good account in Main Line Lament by Colin Walker of it's operation in the 50s with an A3 at the head. Also on, I think, the Transacord record Great Central there's a recording made possibly at Princes Risborough of it with a V2 at the front going hell for leather.

• Like 1

Even in the final summer of the GC as a through route, there was an 0140 Marylebone-Leicester/Nottingham newspaper train with 4 news vans and a BCK for Nottingham and another 4 news vans and a BG for Leicester.

There was also a 2155 (SX) and 2245 (SO) Marylebone-Manchester, which was mostly vans but also included some passenger accommodation.

I think this is the empties from the newspaper train returning south: 

22595086161_63a0859c52_c.jpg46122_RugbyC_9-5-64 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 7

That'll be Ashlawn Road bridge In the background, which takes the main road from Dunchurch out to Hillmorton round the southern outskirts of twon, thus avoiding Rugby town centre... nice to see this section of the route captured on film  ;).

Edited by Rugd1022

In the late Colin Walker's excellent book "Main Line Lament - The final years of the Great central route to London"  there is a 4 page essay (and photos) on a particular run of the "Newspaper" as it was called back in 1957 - a wonderful article from another age. In fact the whole book is wonderful. 

The train was hauled by 60104 Solario, and 1.45am was the departure time.  Ten coaches/vans, 305 tons. Rugby first stop (11 minute dwell), then Leicester Central where the engine was changed and story ends. Where the train ran to after it's next stop Nottingham Victoria, and weather any passenger accommodation was provided is not mentioned.

Brit15

• Like 1