Amendment to PayPal Legal Agreements - what does iot mean?

Rail-Online

• RMweb Gold

iot

Internet of things

It refers to generally white goods and other electronics which have IT based intelligence.

In PayPal’s case, that intelligence would include ability to purchase things.

Your washing machine may want permission to order washing powder,

Same thing for the car, which may some day take itself to the garage and get a wash and refuel.

Much closer to shore, and pretty much now, you’ll be able to tell a TV advert your watching, to order you one those.

In all cases PayPal’s hoping your details are on file, so when your off spring says “I want one” to every advert on the kids channel, and fifty boxes arrive at your front door, you check your now in overdraft, that you cannot blame PayPal.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was interesting that any merchants charging a premium for PayPal or otherwise dissuading customers from using them can be downgraded from a merchant status to pauper level.

I note that they have made collect in person transactions ineligible for buyer protection on the grounds of non-delivery.  That should close a loophole that some unscrupulous buyers used (and all sellers should ideally have been aware of) to pay with PayPal but collect in person, then claim non-delivery.  Since PayPal will only accept a carrier's delivery confirmation, not a personal receipt for collection, that meant that buyers could get their money back from PayPal on the grounds of non-delivery and the seller could do nothing about it.

It doesn't seem to stop buyers raising a "not as described" complaint, though.  So I will probably still, if offering collect in person (eg for large items), always insist on cash on collection.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From my reading of it, if you pay for your purchases or monthly selling fee using a credit card a fee of 3.4% will be charges from Jan 2018.

Hi

If that is indeed the case then I will be no longer purchasing items from eBay after 18/1/2018.

Cheers

Paul

The table in the new agreement  seems to say that the fee will also apply to debit cards.

I wonder if, by lumping in credit cards with debit cards they think they can get around the new law that comes into force next year, outlawing credit card surcharges?