Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

How the French do it.

kirtleypete

I've just got back from exhibiting at Boulogne show, and it was an eye opener. 

The town council of Boulogne take the view that the exhibition is an asset to the town, so they give the use of the town centre exhibition centre for a minimal price. Twenty three local firms sponsored the exhibition and had their logos displayed in the entrance corridor. 

Because of that the entrance fee was just three euros, and under twelves had free entry. The catering was cheap too, 50 cents for tea or coffee, 2 euros for beer, wine or a can of soft drink. Exhibitors got a free lunch and drink each day.

The show opened at 10am, at half past the mayor arrived and had a look round, then at half past eleven the show stopped for the speeches followed by free wine and nibbles. It ran until 6pm, after which there was more free wine and nibbles, followed by a dinner on Saturday evening.

The show attracted modellers, but it was full of local families and Sunday afternoon was the busiest time of the weekend right up to half an hour before closing. 

The trade was poor, but that's understandable given what I've just said, but the quality of the layouts was very good indeed including four from the UK. When I've got a bit more time I'll post some pictures.

It was the friendliest, best organised show I've done for a long time. Some UK shows could learn a lot, particularly the one at the end of this month in Birmingham. Before you tell me, I know it's bigger....that's irrelevant, it's all down to attitude and approach. 

Peter

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

That sounds very different though. There’s nothing in there that I wish Warley did; I’m not going for cheese, wine and speeches, I’m going to look at layouts and buy stuff. By taking one of those things away then I’m less interested. YMMV.

I’ve also never found UK exhibitions inherently unfriendly, and they’re commercial ventures, so buying tickets is fair enough. Glad it was a good event, but not sure there are many lessons there that I’m seeing.

Edited by njee20

Having participated in three French exhibitions with Paul Wade's 'Tonbridge West Yard', my experiences were much like Peter's. The shows themselves seemed to have been visited by a broader selection of the local population than equivalent UK ones; a particularly charming feature seems to be the procession of well-turned-out, polite, primary school-children arriving in 'crocodiles'. the social events and shared meals are also something I'm not used to at UK events. Trade support is not great, unless you go to one of the national or supra-regional shows, largely because the French trade seems to have even more one-man-bands than the UK norm. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pete, not sure what you are trying to say about Warley..is it that the local companies and councils should be more supportive? Does the show need to have more speeches?  Or are you saying have cheap tickets, less trade etc?

As it is exhibitors get free lunches and drinks at Warley - those staying over also get breakfast..

What I would say is there is a major cultural difference or two between the UK and other countries. Support for model railways is seen as a positive thing in Europe - we suffer still (on occasion) from its big kids playing with the choo choos.

So what do you think that Warley needs to do?

Baz

• Like 1

You're coming from the point of view of a visitor njee20, I'm speaking as an exhibitor. 

Anyway, here are some pictures of the layouts:

38215046102_ec41bdf4e0_b.jpg

There were two large 0 gauge layouts exhibited by members of the Cercle du Zero.

38215038242_ee9190d8be_b.jpg

24375509558_a31b58c156_b.jpg

24375518608_72398f78c0_b.jpg

This HO layout, 'Melange' by Francois Gobbey, was amazing - just look at this track!

38215039002_936b62d50f_b.jpg

He told us that he built the four way point, then decided it wasn't enough of a challenge so he introduced two more tracks crossing it. It all ran perfectly. 

24375514198_eca0f38852_b.jpg

24375515318_e3d116ebb6_b.jpg

Finally, here's our layout, Mers les Bains.

37536083034_68091be99e_b.jpg

The trees in pots were a clever way of preventing the public from walking behind the layouts; they look far more appealing than barriers. 

Barry, I wasn't going to mention this, but as you ask.....I am taking Saltdean to the NEC and in October I received a very offensive and officious e-mail from one of the organisers which had been sent out to all the people bringing layouts. I was angry and ashamed at the tone and language used; I have resigned from membership of the club and this year will be the last time I take a layout to the NEC. I seriously considered withdrawing Saltdean from the exhibition. The contrast between that attitude and Boulogne could not have been greater.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Barry, I wasn't going to mention this, but as you ask.....I am taking Saltdean to the NEC and in October I received a very offensive and officious e-mail from one of the organisers which had been sent out to all the people bringing layouts. I was angry and ashamed at the tone and language used; I have resigned from membership of the club and this year will be the last time I take a layout to the NEC. I seriously considered withdrawing Saltdean from the exhibition. The contrast between that attitude and Boulogne could not have been greater.

Peter

Pete

I am the contact for a visiting layout and have not received any such email so can't comment further.

Interesting I cannot speak about French exhibitions but I have exhibited a number of times in Germany, Luxemburg and Holland, similar experiences, a lot more support from the local authorities, even quiet small towns seem the have a dedicated exhibition complex, not just a make do sports hall or school, simply unknown here! Exhibitors have a more laid back approach often stopping operations for lunch and a Saturday evening meal at the venue is the norm.

Interesting I cannot speak about French exhibitions but I have exhibited a number of times in Germany, Luxemburg and Holland, similar experiences, a lot more support from the local authorities, even quiet small towns seem the have a dedicated exhibition complex, not just a make do sports hall or school, simply unknown here! Exhibitors have a more laid back approach often stopping operations for lunch and a Saturday evening meal at the venue is the norm.

Ho ho, can you imagine the uproar if UK operators stopped properly at lunchtime even for a coffee. "I stood and watched 'Little Eaton on Sea' for 5 minutes and nothing happened. The operators were eating and drinking behind the layout. This is unacceptable. So I requested a refund of my exorbitant entry payment of £4.50 from the organisers. I will not patronise them again."   :angel: 

We have an amusing sign on 'Mers les Bains' in French (at least I hope it's amusing), saying that we don't stop for lunch. Having said that they have a very different approach to operating, we're seen as odd actually running trains all the time and actually shunting! I once saw a lovely Vivarais layout that had just a loop of track with one train on it that ran round in circles all day, there was no fiddle yard, nothing else at all, not even another loco in case the first one stopped working. I don't know where the owner was, I never saw him. 

Peter

• Like 1

My experience of exhibiting at a French show (with a British layout) was over 20 years ago and a lot further south at Aubenas in the Ardeche (Rhone Valleyish). But was similar: An official opening by the mayor, a wide cross section of appreciative customers, and closing for lunch for the exhibitors to partake of a slap-up meal with lashings of wine. Great memories.

G.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You're coming from the point of view of a visitor njee20, I'm speaking as an exhibitor. 

Right you are, apologies. Difficult balance I guess - I can see that a lunch break would be nice as an exhibitor, but I still wouldn't visit a show which had a mandated lunch break and had speeches and wine, it's just not what I want from a show (speaking purely as a visitor).

• RMweb Gold

My experience of exhibiting at a French show (with a British layout) was over 20 years ago and a lot further south at Aubenas in the Ardeche (Rhone Valleyish). But was similar: An official opening by the mayor, a wide cross section of appreciative customers, and closing for lunch for the exhibitors to partake of a slap-up meal with lashings of wine. Great memories.

G.

Aubenas was always a really good show, very enjoyable.

But let's not dream. In the current financial situation of UK local government, we are not going to see any improvement here in the availability of facilities for voluntary organisations, including model railway clubs. It's not just exhibition space that is available in France. Most towns there, even villages, have properties that they make available for clubrooms.

Right you are, apologies. Difficult balance I guess - I can see that a lunch break would be nice as an exhibitor, but I still wouldn't visit a show which had a mandated lunch break and had speeches and wine, it's just not what I want from a show (speaking purely as a visitor).

The show didn't shut for lunch, a ham roll and drink were provided which were eaten with one hand while the other was running trains! Even while the mayor was speaking the public were free to wander around, and he didn't go on for long. 

Peter

• RMweb Premium

But as a local you too are taking your own lunch break and glass(es) of wine.  Luchtime is a very good time to get a really good look round at the layouts - although the operating service may be minimal or non-existent.  It allows time to examine the scenic and infrastructure modelling - which is often at a very high standard even in small local shows.

• RMweb Premium

Aubenas was always a really good show, very enjoyable.

But let's not dream. In the current financial situation of UK local government, we are not going to see any improvement here in the availability of facilities for voluntary organisations, including model railway clubs. It's not just exhibition space that is available in France. Most towns there, even villages, have properties that they make available for clubrooms.

While I do not disagree  that the UK will not follow suit; I think by blaming it on finances gives the impression that French towns and villages must be rolling in it.  The reality, as I am sure you know,  is that they are in as big  deficit as UK councils, but because of a different view on society and funding to support the local community they currently enjoy subventions from the centre to fund such activities and keep communities alive.  [something that might change under the current administration.]

So it is ultimately a lack of will across society that stops the UK behaving in a similar fashion.   

Sorry this is getting very close to the taboo of politics but as we have seen it impacts directly on our hobby.

• Like 1

Ten days ago, my wife and I went, as visitors, to an exhibition near Limoges.  The situation was very much the same as Peter describes, except that in this case they provided the nibbles and drinks for exhibitors away from the layouts, but we were still free to wander round the exhibition while no-one was behind the layouts.  What the insurers would have to say about the possibility of theft, I don't know!  I was very impressed by the quality of the layouts, but all of the stock was straight out of the box, with no attempt at weathering, even when the scenery was suitably industrial and grubby.

Everyone was very friendly, and when they learned we are English, they all wanted to know what is going to happen with Brexit - but let's not go there!

Mick

post-17300-0-86086900-1510140365_thumb.jpg

post-17300-0-54552600-1510140368_thumb.jpg

post-17300-0-87229900-1510140375_thumb.jpg

post-17300-0-86083400-1510140377_thumb.jpg

post-17300-0-83079300-1510140379_thumb.jpg

post-17300-0-26380100-1510140594_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have enjoyed exhibitions in France and Germany too and I find their entire attitudes towards our hobby is surprisingly tolerant and supportive.

There are, of course, national organisations dedicated to the promotion of the hobby and co-operation between groups and individuals.

This is something that could be useful in the UK, along the lines of the Chiltern association or the Scottish groups but on a national scale and solely for promoting the hobby rather than our current system whereby our clubs get quite divisive and defensive.

Witness the above comments about Warley!

However, I feel that such an organisation would be able to make little inroads against the general apathy towards our hobby in the eyes of the general public, but who knows?

Just a thought,

John.

I have resigned from membership of the club

Peter

I take it you are (or were) a Warley MRC member? Just to clear up any confusion.

While I do not disagree  that the UK will not follow suit; I think by blaming it on finances gives the impression that French towns and villages must be rolling in it.  The reality, as I am sure you know,  is that they are in as big  deficit as UK councils, but because of a different view on society and funding to support the local community they currently enjoy subventions from the centre to fund such activities and keep communities alive.

I don't even think it is that, more of a case of Councils trying to run such interests on commercial terms but with limited business sense, but at a level of arrogance where they can't see how tired and dated their facilities look (assuming they were even fit for purpose in the first place), and without means to reinvest their profits to make the necessary improvements.

While I do not disagree  that the UK will not follow suit; I think by blaming it on finances gives the impression that French towns and villages must be rolling in it.  The reality, as I am sure you know,  is that they are in as big  deficit as UK councils, but because of a different view on society and funding to support the local community they currently enjoy subventions from the centre to fund such activities and keep communities alive.  [something that might change under the current administration.]

So it is ultimately a lack of will across society that stops the UK behaving in a similar fashion.   

Sorry this is getting very close to the taboo of politics but as we have seen it impacts directly on our hobby.

Totally agree Andy. The Salles des Fetes are very well used and very inexpensive. The emphasis is very much on joining in locally, whether it be huge collective meals, dances, concerts, plays, zoomba or whatever, and that works better in some villages than others! Only two of us here are British (out of about 250) but we spend more time learning about who hates or likes whom, and making sure we steer a diplomatic path. But I digress. The merger of cantons under Hollande, to save money, removed many local services, and the discussions now (here anyway) are on the merger of most communes with their neighbours. The only reason it has not yet happened is that very few can agree which town halls should be kept!

But it is true that railway modelling here is seen a completely different light to the UK. As evidence, the local Brits here take the proverbial whenever my hobby is mentioned, but the French are seriously interested and supportive, especially in the garden line I am building. So much so that occasionally I get directed to a source for whatever - the latest being for scale ballast outside, which is actually a pile of granite chippings being hidden for mending pot holes I guess, but which when sieved, does a perfect job. But not one of them has a model railway - even their kids.

Our local exhibition, at Rochefort, is held every two years, but in a gymnasium, but is otherwise much as described above. The atmosphere, beverages and layouts are excellent, but only two traders ever turn up. So it is a labour of love and somewhere the locals can take their children for a day out. The average age of the Rochefort Club (Traction 17) is a bit more like the average British club, but many exhibitors are much younger than we are used to in Britain, and certainly most visitors are. Hopefully, interest is on the up here,  but it is very hard to tell for sure.

• Like 3

And what of the malodorous and rucksack touting brigade? :mosking:

Chapeau, Manteau et refuser d'affronter........

(blame google for the poor(?) French)

Much the same as here, at the large and very busy Dortmond show no barriers were provided, just after opening a rucksack came within a whisker of demolishing a building, a hasty improvised barrier was soon in place, very enjoyable show otherwise.