Hornby Class 86 and Lima class 87 rooves

Hello there. I'm detailing some Hornby 86's and some Lima 87's  (70's/80's) and I'd like to know if the rooves of the prototypes are basically the same (mainly in the pan well areas)

I've gathered some pictures of the 86 and think I've got the basics right but can't find anything online of the 87 roof.

I've lowered and ridged the left and right panels of the pan wells of the 86's. There are double sets of horizontal strips (pan mounts?) just before the vertical cab roof end which I believe is correct but is the 87 the same?

Here's a picture to show them (86 on left/87 on right)

post-910-0-11407200-1510256454.jpg

Cheers Pete. I know what you mean. I could always wait until there's a better picture of the new Hornby 87 roof as they've probably got it right and I want my loco's to look as good as the new ones albeit with the too short wheelbases.

I had a look on the AC locomotive group's gallery and it does seem that their 87002 and 86101 are basically the same in this area. I don't know if the links will work

https://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/gallery.php?mode=p&pic=76|22

https://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/gallery.php?mode=p&pic=63|2

There's also 87001 in the museum at York and if I remember it's got a platfrom next to it so I may take my tripod and get some images of what's up there

Sorry to be pedantic but the plural of roof is roofs, not rooves.

PS sorry (again) I can't help with your enquiry.

Roofs in the modern spelling and rooves is the old spelling. Both are correct, unlike my old models it seems.

No answer so far.

If nobody seems to know, then who can say if you get it wrong?

....said Hornby, hoping that no-one would ask them to prove that 87010 had white underframe equipment when named...

There is the information out there, I hope you can accept my apology for not finding this thread sooner.

The Lima roof needs a lot of work to rebuild what they compromised on in order to use a diamond type pan, the Hornby 86 isnt too bad. Both have issues with how the rheo brake vents and ABCB were portrayed, and the square mushrooms on the Lima roof are useful for detailing warehouse roofs. Both classes have translucent roof panels which haven't really been finished effectively on either model.

87101 had a vastly different transformer header tank and central roof detail.

Edited by 298
  • Like 1

Cheers 298. I've already learnt a lot about these loco's; I suppose that is one benefit of having a go at older models but the downside is where to draw the line at compromise. I guess if you accept the shorter wheelbase bogies then you can make other compromises and at the end of the day they will still be attractive models.

Rheo brake vents and ABCB are which parts? Are these the stepped square panels with the three bars over them?

I measured the Bachmann 85 Faiveley pan and it was 23mm between insulators and that would fit the horizontal mounting bars of the Hornby 86. I guess the GEC cross-arm pan must be the same as 86's were fitted with these too. I'll have to build a Judith Edge cross arm really before knowing where to put the mounting bars on the 87.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers 298. I've already learnt a lot about these loco's; I suppose that is one benefit of having a go at older models but the downside is where to draw the line at compromise. I guess if you accept the shorter wheelbase bogies then you can make other compromises and at the end of the day they will still be attractive models.

Rheo brake vents and ABCB are which parts? Are these the stepped square panels with the three bars over them?

I measured the Bachmann 85 Faiveley pan and it was 23mm between insulators and that would fit the horizontal mounting bars of the Hornby 86. I guess the GEC cross-arm pan must be the same as 86's were fitted with these too. I'll have to build a Judith Edge cross arm really before knowing where to put the mounting bars on the 87.

86 and 87 pan mounts should be the same as the pans were interchangeable. Lima made the 87 to fit an existing (too small) continental pan. 

When I've redone the rooves (yes, I agree with your version, I'm an old fart) on mine I have made the pan mounts the same spacings as Hornby did.

Andi 

Limas roof, was incorrectly rendered on some sections. I replaced a few of the panels on my Lima 87, because of the underscale portion size. Lima's Pantograph, as Andy says was designed to fit their H0 scale ( someone feel free to correct that statement if im wrong, but that pretty much is how I feel they've scaled some portions on their models if not a majority of parts on them). If I get some spare time I can post of pictures of a comparison of my two models as I have one I have fully worked on, and another is an untouched model

HTH

NL