Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

ALDI scroll saw

I would say it depends on what material you inted to work in, and probably what scale.  A scroll saw is useless for cardboard and, unnecessary/useless for plastic card - in both cases a craft knife is sufficient.  Could be useful for plywood, MDF etc but, unless you intend to use it a lot, I would think a hand-held coping saw is just as good.  My experience is in 00 gauge and I would say that £70 spent on decent craft tools would be better value in this and smaller gauges.

I've got one purchased it about 10 years ago and it's lasted, can't remember the price but then I'am sure it was under £30, the little blower thing does work.

Used it for all kind of jobs, on the railway cut out some 6mm ply arches, it's ok for wood and plastic

I don't have any vibration problems but you do need to place it on a very firm base, no need to boot it down, the base does rust so I oil after use, then have to clean it off again before use.

I reckon it's worth it, but lot depends on your use, it's great for cutting small bits of wood as a jig saw needs the wood to be clamped, unless you mount jig saw in a vice or something

Guest CLARENCE

I used a scroll saw for many years in my model-making business, and found it indispensable, but it was a good heavy cast-iron base job, screwed firmly to the workbench. I used it for cutting everything from 1/16" plywood up to 1" thick timber. I would look for a good solidly built saw, lighter ones suffer from vibration.

David

While we're on the subject ........

I'm thinking of buying either a scroll saw, or a mini jigsaw, to cut window and door apertures in 3mm and 6mm plywood, for some buildings that I intend to make, because my hand fretsawing is rather "iffy".

Question 1: never having used a scroll saw, does one thread the blade through a starting hole, then remix to the frame, like a fretsaw or jewellers' saw?

Question 2: can one still buy treadle-operated fret saws? Where? I used one years ago, and quite liked it, because it was incredibly controllable.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Kevin,  i used a Hobbies Treadle fretsaw, for years, but now obselete. You can   i belive find the odd saw, with foot control, like a sewing machine.  Regarding blades, you fix, as you indicated, but you will need e few, as the motorised saws are not as forgiving, as the treadle ones. I have a Scheppach, a chinese copy machine, and a third unknown make. I   do think you get what you pay for. john

This is more of a question than anything else. I have never used a scroll saw and wondered if it would be worth the investment. I am very much a beginner in the modelling line.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-120w-scroll-saw/p/080050173517100

Just wondered what more experienced modellers would think.

I'm not familiar with the Aldi saw specifically, but it looks very like the generic design churned out by the million in China and rebadged by every woodworking tool supplier in the world. MrsB has one and it has worked hard and reliably for more than 10 years now. IIRC we sprang for an upgrade kit for the blade holders but I can't remember what exactly was included or what the improvement might have been. We've got it screwed to a 20mm plank which, in turn, gets clamped to whichever bench we're using at the time. However, I've used it with the plank unclamped and, as long as I've kept good downwards pressure on the workpiece, it hasn't walked around with vibration.

In the hands of an expert, a scroll saw will produce some lovely work.

But for me, if you’re a hobbyist and if you want accurate cut-outs, you are better spending your money on getting it laser cut.

Like 3D printing, laser cutting equipment to produce a near-professional result is out of the budget of most of us.

But it is now cheap enough for cottage industries to invest in and make it affordable to the likes of us.

Indeed, that is the other option for my buildings.

It has struck me that if I design the right set of components, effectively a set of modular parts that can be used to produce a wide variety of building-shapes, then get someone to create files suitable to use in a laser cutter, that might not only be useful to me, but several of my pals too, and the file creation might cost no more than a decent scroll saw.

Weighing-up options!

I've got a massively heavy one I brought over from Canada. Haven't used it in years, but will be again in the not too distant future. I use it mostly for windows and doors in Wills sheets or in cutting 3-5mm ply. Mark, drill, thread a spiral blade, rest the work against a clamped straight edge and you can get a perfect window in under a minute. That plastic is bloody thick and hard to cut otherwise. 

look at the Scheppach one. Cheap scroll saws have a vibration problem. Made all my kids farms and garages on a scrollsaw, good fun. john

I would agree with the above comment ... might be worth you investing in  Proxxon DS 230/E Scroll Saw which far more 'modeller' friendly . Have a look on the Axeminster Tools site under Proxxon