Cutting PCB

Hello,

Maybe one of these would do the job. Great excuse to have one if you are tiling the bathroom or kitchen.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb522tcb-450w-tile-cutter-240v/61123 

Should cope easily with copperclad pcb

post-4361-0-81306200-1510955467_thumb.jpeg

I seem to have had difficulty with this post

trustytrev

Edited by trustytrev

If it is just cutting strips into sleeper lengths I use a coping saw.

I used to use the cut off wheel in a dremel/motor tool but never got them square.
If it is for cutting large pieces into strips, the local shop here in Oz was getting them cut by a guy who I believe used a router!

HTH

Khris

Hi Guys whats the best tool / tools for cutting PCBs for making sleepers, l have a Proxxon saw bench but the PCB have blunted all my circular saw blades ? any ideas...

Hi,

The best tool for cutting PCBs into sleepers is a PCB guillotine but a good one is probably > £400.

Regards

Nick

whats the best tool / tools for cutting PCBs for making sleepers, l have a Proxxon saw bench but the PCB have blunted all my circular saw blades ? any ideas...

Partly depends on what the PCB base material is.

For fibreglass material such as FR4, the Proxxon with diamond cutting blade is ideal. I have been using mine for many years with the same blade.

For paxolin (SRBP) material a toothed blade would likely be better, though I wouldn't using it for sleepers in the first place.

Having bought something similar to do my kitchen, I'm willing to try and cut pcb material, though I doubt I can get the same accuracy as tile cutting seems to be in increments of 1mm.

Tile cutters are great for cutting tiles, but the thickness of the disc could be the first issue as quite wide, then its getting a constant width of cut as these machines do not have engineering quality guides

Hello,

The  diamond cutting disks  are only 1.5mm to 2mm wide so probably not an issue. The rail for cutting widths is adjustable in 1mm increments at both ends so not difficult to get parallel cuts at a suitable width. I have not had a go myself but was struck by the possibility when I first used it for tiles.Being water cooled means there is no dust either.

Hopefully Gordan can try and give feed back.

trustytrev.:)

Happy to try next week as I have family here right now, but the 1mm increments are a potential hurdle.  Turnout sleepers are 4mm, so no problem, but plain track sleepers are 3.3mm and 3mm would be too narrow and look out of place.  I'm sure a parallel rail could be fabricated at 3.3mm, but will need to look at it in more detail.

I have sheets of pcb material here and would love to find a solution that would give results good enough to match those that I have bought in the past.  The financial considerations are certainly attractive with the current prices of off the shelf copper strip.