RMweb

Isopropanol.. Whats the next best thing?

There may be confusion between lighter fuel and gas , butane is used in gas lighters, with liquid petrol in lighters , but the US  call petrol gas........lighter fluid certainly can be used as a good degreasing cleaner. but ethanol smells less and is freely available by mail order or a proper Chemist supply house.The Uk chemist shop are dispensing chemists tied to parent companies who simply do not stock chemicals.

Stephen

"Freely available by mail order". Ebay sellers often do free "postage". How do they (apparently) avoid having to incur courier charges, as the Post Office won't carry inflammable liquids?

Or do they just post it and don't say what is in the package. I've received aerosol cans of carburetor cleaner through the post in a large jiffy bag. Which make the rigmarole Phoenix Precision Paints have to go through to send a small tin of paint rather inexplicable.

"Freely available by mail order". Ebay sellers often do free "postage". How do they (apparently) avoid having to incur courier charges, as the Post Office won't carry inflammable liquids?

Or do they just post it and don't say what is in the package. I've received aerosol cans of carburetor cleaner through the post in a large jiffy bag. Which make the rigmarole Phoenix Precision Paints have to go through to send a small tin of paint rather inexplicable.

Simple- they don’t tell the post office. Had to send a parcel recently and they asked me what was in it - they accepted what I told them, but it could have been paint, a bomb, drugs, etc. (It was a dud loco return from a major retailer, but that’s a bit more boring....)

There may be confusion between lighter fuel and gas , butane is used in gas lighters, with liquid petrol in lighters , but the US  call petrol gas........lighter fluid certainly can be used as a good degreasing cleaner. but ethanol smells less and is freely available by mail order or a proper Chemist supply house.The Uk chemist shop are dispensing chemists tied to parent companies who simply do not stock chemicals.

Stephen

thinking backwards. The non-pressurised lighter fluid I'm using is actually naptha or napthalene. Commonly known in the US as white gas or camping gas. (note camping gas and not gaz which is butane usually) 

Simple- they don’t tell the post office. Had to send a parcel recently and they asked me what was in it - they accepted what I told them, but it could have been paint, a bomb, drugs, etc. (It was a dud loco return from a major retailer, but that’s a bit more boring....)

The Post Office should check one in ten parcels at the counter.  Anyone who doesn't correctly disclose what's inside their parcel should be heavily fined..................or be given a custodial sentence.  That'll learn 'em.

Mr Angry

of Rushden

All the liquids I buy through the post come via couriers like Hermes.

I use Naptha in my chain saw, mowers etc better than petrol as it doesn't leave a residue in the carburettor when it evaporates, available from garden centres under the trade name Aspen for a fiver a litre.

• RMweb Premium

Or perhaps not so simple. My IPA arrived yesterday from one of the ebay suppliers recommended on Page 1. It was delivered by Royal Mail but I paid no postage. I initially thought that they'd lied to RM as suggested above, but then I turned over the box and there was a sticker which read "ID8000, Consumer commodity permitted in UK domestic mail only" and then checkboxes for different possible reasons - medicines, perfumes, nail varnish, toiletry or medicinal aerosols, with the "medicines" box ticked. Elsewhere on the sticker it says "exempt from requirements for dangerous goods transport document (shipper's declaration of dangerous goods note)".