Dapol Announced an O Gauge GWR 45XX 2-6-2?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sidmouth said:

page 55 of Hugh Ballantyne's western region steam in colour published by Ian Allan has a shot of 5531 with a red backed smokebox number plate

Good shout. This is a late Southall embellishment in 1963/4 just before the loco was withdrawn rather than the original use. Its got red con rods as well.

edit: and white/silver smokebox and guard iron detailing but no shed plate.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My “Lionheart exclusive” 4549 in Great Western green arrived ahead of schedule this morning (DPD’s email stated delivery on Monday 10th, but I’m not complaining!).

It’s reassuringly heavy and well packed.

It is currently running in on the rolling road. It is very quiet and runs beautifully with no hesitation whatsoever (there’s no stay alive, but perhaps none is required).

Nothing appears to have fallen off in transit.

Very pleased and impressed. It’s a lovely model of one of my favourite prototypes.

• RMweb Premium

I have the BR Black version of this model and its an excellent model, very happy with it. My only issue is that the smoke box door number plate is pointing upwards slightly. I assume that its not to difficult to remove the number plate without damaging it to realign it?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Blobrick said:

I assume that its not to difficult to remove the number plate without damaging it to realign it?

Havent tried on this one but they can be quite well glued on and a sod to get off on other Dapol models. 

Usually better to push out from behind but i couldnt get the door off on mine.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
On 08/10/2022 at 15:43, Blobrick said:

I have the BR Black version of this model and its an excellent model, very happy with it. My only issue is that the smoke box door number plate is pointing upwards slightly. I assume that its not to difficult to remove the number plate without damaging it to realign it?

Did you get it off? I'd like to sit mine closer to the smokebox but think i might do more damage than good 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Did you get it off? I'd like to sit mine closer to the smokebox but think i might do more damage than good 

Hi HN, no l ve not been brace enough to try yet, if l get time l ll try this weekend.?

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Blobrick said:

Hi HN, no l ve not been brace enough to try yet, if l get time l ll try this weekend.?

Bob C

ok cheers. i gave mine a tweak with a screwdriver in behind yesterday and not even a hint of give.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

ok cheers. i gave mine a tweak with a screwdriver in behind yesterday and not even a hint of give.

That's what worries me, l don't want to be stuck (bad pun) with a broken of spigot in the smoke box door, l can imagine the damage l could cause trying to drill the remains out.

• RMweb Premium
On 12/09/2022 at 20:24, 7007GreatWestern said:

Regarding the model: has anyone tried removing the safety valve bonnet yet?

Did you get anywhere with this? The dc 4564 came with the tall one which seemed odd as the pre-production was the correct short one. I see now they've arrived the sound fitted 4564 has reverted to the short one.

I'd like the non sound verson but only if I can get the tall one off.

On 18/10/2022 at 07:37, Hal Nail said:

Did you get anywhere with this? The dc 4564 came with the tall one which seemed odd as the pre-production was the correct short one. I see now they've arrived the sound fitted 4564 has reverted to the short one.

I'd like the non sound verson but only if I can get the tall one off.

Hi Hal Nail,

Sorry, I can't help. I don't own one - I was simply weighing up options. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking of purchasing an un-numbered version to re-number as 4539 which seems to have ended its days at Reading shed which suits my purposes for location could anyone advise what its final livery might have been, I have found a couple of B&W photos but they are of no use.

Many thanks

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 70E said:

perhaps a re-think is necessary

I think you could do it 

The photo above shows it has an extended bunker, steam pipes, short safety valve and curved footplate.

It wont be BR green in 1955 so the unnumbered BR black version looks basically right including the longer rear valance but you'd need to do a swap for an early cab roof, or add the rain strips.

Edited by Hal Nail

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...