Dapol Announced an O Gauge GWR 45XX 2-6-2?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Transport Library is not in any order - not a friendly resource in my view.

Tip for anyone looking - start with allocations for the desired area (see also "shed bash" which lists locos seen at sheds on visits) then once you have the potential options, search them by loco number.

optional - make lists in excel.

you can spend hours doing this and avoid having to do any modelling!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Funny 1

Mine landed today, very impressed.

There are many many nice things about this model. My model runs beautifully.

The coal load is very convincing, along with the brass valve cover.

Was there any suggestion that the 4575 would follow in a reasonable timeframe? Looking forward to seeing 5553 at the NLR next weekend.

N

I have gone for the model of 4571, which I shall be re-numbering to 4570 St. Blazey 83E (RailTec transfers) as the font that Dapol/Lionheart have used is totally wrong for 4571

IMG_1050.jpg.82ececb00ba66fdd7f0b245cae80d353.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg.3668635d15a1460fe1322cbe4b9de7a3.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg.452244b352ffd3d18c69753b0a1d6420.jpg

I have installed a Zimo MS440C decoder from YouChoos and must congratulate Dapol/Lionheart on making things a lot easier by having the speaker already installed and the fact that you do not need a 'stay alive'.

It will get a good run at the Club tonight.

regards

Mike

• Like 3

On 16/08/2022 at 16:42, Miss Prism said:

Seems like a fair range of large-bunkered cab-shuttered outside-piped parallel-buffered locos. I can't find any BR pics of 4545 or 4547 to confirm the angled rainstrips on the cab - most locos in BR times seem not to have those rainstrips. The selection of shiny/painted over safety valve bonnets is a nice touch.

The 'British Railways' lettering on 4571 should be in Egyptian font. I have no record of it appearing with Gill Sans.

4545 captured with angle rainstrip in Prairie Papers by Ian Sixsmith, also shows welded porthole and looks to be in recently painted unlined black in early 50’s

regards

Chirs

• Like 2

The re-numbering went well, the cabside plates came off without a fight, a scalpel blade under a corned was sufficient to break the bond, such that the plates have been put aside for possible future use. The smokebox number and shedplate are printed flat so nothing needed to be done in the way of preparation and the two numbers slid into position without any problems and the cabside plates fitted over the space just as easy.
P1020141.JPG.74263406f3b55395baaf7ae5a8139b23.JPG

P1020148.JPG.0b606cc3fb89b33e733dfe81c3e51fc7.JPG

P1020152.JPG.7c5ef3b0d8daecb61c85cdf732cc6d57.JPG

The cab interior detail is excellent and deserved another photo

P1020150.JPG.55c16ae2fcaa97ae95c5e1bf804a19a7.JPG
just got to choose which Modelu crew members to order to carry out the necessary duties.

Taking it to the Club this evening to give it a good blow.

regards

Mike

• Like 4

Excellent Small Prairie model jumped on the YouChoos workbench today... very impressed with the model, and an easy conversion to DCC sound, but this time using a new stay-alive option... see our full install guide for more details:

https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OLionSmallPrairie

Onboard speaker is excellent, so no need to upgrade that.

Enjoy!

John

OLionheartSPrairie-PG-007.jpg

OLionheartSPrairie-PG-020.jpg

OLionheartSPrairie-PG-022.jpg

• Like 5

WARNING

Be extra careful when removing the cab roof - do not hold the roof on the sides as the top runner for the cabside shutters is immediately beneath the roof lip and it is very fragile - don't ask me how I know!!!! always remove the roof by holding the front and rear edges in the area where the magnets are located.

Re-fixing the runner will be an interesting task later which might end up with the shutter being permanently fixed in the open position.

regards

Mike

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/08/2022 at 07:11, Miss Prism said:

I'd also forgotten about the sandbox differences - when was the later style introduced?

I'm not sure but I'd always thought same time as outside steam pipes and parallel buffers - but that was just a hunch. 

A few kept the square footplate drop and some got curved footplate but no steam pipes and several retained the original sandboxes including 4564 which is shown with the original type in Dapol's colour artwork. I've never really understood why some locos missed fairly significant modifications? 

Can anyone who has bought either numbered or unnumbered in lined green, late totem confirm which type sandboxes you get please?

Ta

Edited by Hal Nail

Blacking the wheel rims makes a big difference 

08F00FFE-4138-47E9-99F9-1475E5F1DDEA.jpeg.1d1f852ca3198a206eff4ed69c770641.jpeg

A regular Sharpie won’t cut it, so I used a paint marker for the drivers when on the rolling road, and the same with a steady hand for the bogie wheels:

F6BE63D1-A50C-4942-B9FF-0BCDD2CC1102.jpeg.7f7ec3403ea0c0e0fb3cda9127f98206.jpeg

Neal

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Collected mine from Tony's Trains at Rugby today . What can I say but what a stunning model . runs beautifully, very heavy 

Captures the proportions of the class to near perfection 

Question is can I stretch to another 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Are you running on Peco R2 radius curves?

Yes, it's all I have. Just to make it better the "base board" (haha) is thrown together. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put mine on the rolling road today to run it in (I know the instructions say there is no need, but it has made a difference to the noise level).

It has left a couple of small piles of what looks like brass filings on the test track. I can’t see where these have come from. Anyone else had this? It doesn’t look like they’ve come from the wheels or motion.

• RMweb Premium
On 19/08/2022 at 07:42, Ressaldar said:

WARNING

Be extra careful when removing the cab roof - do not hold the roof on the sides as the top runner for the cabside shutters is immediately beneath the roof lip and it is very fragile - don't ask me how I know!!!! always remove the roof by holding the front and rear edges in the area where the magnets are located.

Re-fixing the runner will be an interesting task later which might end up with the shutter being permanently fixed in the open position.

regards

Mike

I read this - and still did it when fitting the sandboxes!  Bah!

• RMweb Premium

Things can come apart if you aren't careful.... :)

376503128_DSC_0028(4).JPG.a95b284900e714237f3f75bcc22da65b.JPG

1169861119_DSC_0036(4).JPG.530f5e36421951be5dffa1e193390327.JPG

I should be able to sand smooth the plated portholes now (the cab front is plastic). Matching the paint isn't too critical as cab fronts and boiler were generally more mucky than the rest.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, 7007GreatWestern said:

Regarding the model: has anyone tried removing the safety valve bonnet yet?

Regarding the prototype: does anyone know which 4500s (if any) has red-painted number plates?

I'm not sure it would be that easy to get off - mine seems fairly solid. Glad I didnt get 4564 for that reason. Being metal, the paint does chip fairly easily so you have to be careful doing work on these.

I've never seen one with red plates but of course colour photos in the early BR period were rare anyway.

Edited by Hal Nail