Dapol Announced an O Gauge GWR 45XX 2-6-2?

MGR Hooper!

Update at Doncaster yesterday was that these are ready to be shipped and waiting for a container. May arrive in time for Guildex in September. Samples looked really good - looking forward to receiving mine!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2022 at 15:37, Baggies1961 said:

I took a picture of the 45xx at Doncaster today but as my preference is modern image didn't ask for an update.

Very nice though

Regards

Julian.

5004430B-D41C-4CDF-BA32-A9ED96BABE4E.jpeg

I have to say it looks much more realistic in this photograph than the official publicity ones on Lionheart, Rails etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

And finally, after almost five years - it's here. I've had a payment request from Dapol saying the 45xx has arrived and is ready to ship. And Ellis Clark appears to have the models already in stock.

I gave up waiting years ago, so I'm afraid Dapol won't be getting my money for this one.  

Edited by dpgibbons

• RMweb Premium

In Ellis Clark's photos, the BR green late crest un-numbered (sold out) has plated portholes and a short later safety valve, as you would expect for that period but the numbered equivalent 4564 has portholes and the early taller valve. Not sure if that's how they were meant to be as the decorated samples weren't like that and nor was the artwork (or the prototype).

https://www.ellisclarktrains.co.uk/products/lionheart-trains-lht-s-4508-class-45xx-2-6-2-br-late-crest-lined-green-4564#6754913943670-1

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium

Rails photos are up now and the numbered version of lined green late crest is correct with no portholes.

Not sure what happened to the ones Ellis Clark has shown.

Looks like they come with an ATC shoe which is a nice touch.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2022 at 11:39, Nile said:

4564 @ Hatton's  , no portholes.

That's a Lionheart photo of the decorated sample thats been around for some time. Ellis Clark and Rails have photos they have taken but one has portholes one doesn't. Anyway at least the correct ones exist!

Edit: Ellis Clarks one seems to be the outlier now others are getting photos up. 

They have done quite a few variations with two different cab roof gutter types, footplate with and without the packing piece, the older and newer sandboxes and both types of safety valves. Bit of care needed when selecting!

Edited by Hal Nail
altered once further info in

I am attaching details for installing a DCC / sound decoder, which unfortunately was omitted from the booklet included.

The chassis is designed to be removed from the body complete with footplate by removing the three screws. Also we have used Pogo-pins for passing electrical current from the chassis PCB to the body, which makes removal of the body very easy with no wires to detach. A high base speaker is pre-installed in all models, so just fitting a DCC decoder is all that is required.

Sorry for the omission

Regards,

Richard

Chassis removal.jpg

Chassis. body separated.jpg

DCC decoder fitted.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Just been contacted by Tower Models, apparently my order was placed on 17/5/2017! Was worth checking the the model I was down for was still BR lined green and late crest...

Has anyone seen a definitive list of the various options included on the various different models? So, chimney, safety valves etc...

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Just been contacted by Tower Models, apparently my order was place 17/5/2017! Was worth checking the the model I was down for was still BR lined green and late crest...

Has anyone seen a definitive list of the various options included on the various different models? So, chimney, safety valves etc...

It might be worth a shout on my thread chum. Someone like @Miss Prism might know. As you well know, 4569 had a tall safety bonnet in your period.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/lionheart-trains-lht-s-4508-class-45xx-small-prairie-2-6-2t-4565-in-br-lined-green-with-late-crest

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

there are photos up on rails which show them all.

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/lionheart-trains?q=45xx

late crest numbered and unnumbered have various differences - roof, rear frames safety valve (do you get both can anyone confirm?)

edit: i assume you mean the differences on the models but i have a spreadsheet on St. Blazeys loco variations if of use to anyone! 

4559 is similar to the numbered version with the portholes plated over prominently. Most were flush and invisible.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

there are photos up on rails which show them all.

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/lionheart-trains?q=45xx

late crest numbered and unnumbered have various differences - roof, rear frames safety valve (do you get both can anyone confirm?)

edit: i assume you mean the dofferences on thr models but i have a spreadsheet on st blazeys loco variations if of use to anyone! 

4559 is similar to the numbered version with the portholes plated over prominently. Most were flush and invisible.

Thanks for mentioning what the detail differences might be. From looking at a photo of 4569 in my period BR LC, it seems to have: tall safety valve bonnet, no rain strips on the roof, invisibly plated porthole covers and the smaller rear frames valance (or whatever it's called). 

So the most wrong for me seems to be the unnumbered S4509 which has a short safety valve bonnet, rain strips on the roof, visibly plated porthole covers and the larger rear frames valance. It does have the advantage of being easier to renumber.

The least wrong for me seems to be the 4564 numbered S4508 which has a tall safety valve bonnet, no rain strips on the roof, visibly plated porthole covers and the smaller rear frames valance. So if I've spotted features correctly, just the porthole covers are incorrect. It does have the disadvantage of being harder to renumber.

Happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable.

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Thanks for mentioning what the detail differences might be. From looking at a photo of 4569 in my period BR LC, it seems to have: tall safety valve bonnet, no rain strips on the roof, invisibly plated porthole covers and the smaller rear frames valance (or whatever it's called). 

So the most wrong for me seems to be the unnumbered S4509 which has a short safety valve bonnet, rain strips on the roof, visibly plated porthole covers and the larger rear frames valance. It does have the advantage of being easier to renumber.

The least wrong for me seems to be the 4564 numbered S4508 which has a tall safety valve bonnet, no rain strips on the roof, visibly plated porthole covers and the smaller rear frames valance. So if I've spotted features correctly, just the porthole covers are incorrect. It does have the disadvantage of being harder to renumber.

Happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable.

Agree with that. 4569 is one I've avoided due to a few of its quirks - not least it had large size totems.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392445001302

The portholes weren't actually invisible to be fair but they were usually welded flush and has to be an incredibly clear photo to spot the faint outline. 4559 had them proud and also 4561 (I'm sure there were others as ive only looked into specific locos). 

It looks like the smokebox shed code might be moulded on in which case @railtec-models 3D ones with the rim cut off might be the easiest replacement - unless we could have some special rimless wonders?!

Re safety valves, if you dont get both included, people on here might be up for swapping, similarly with roofs. 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 2

Seems like a fair range of large-bunkered cab-shuttered outside-piped parallel-buffered locos. I can't find any BR pics of 4545 or 4547 to confirm the angled rainstrips on the cab - most locos in BR times seem not to have those rainstrips. The selection of shiny/painted over safety valve bonnets is a nice touch.

The 'British Railways' lettering on 4571 should be in Egyptian font. I have no record of it appearing with Gill Sans.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I can't find any BR pics of 4545 or 4547 to confirm the angled rainstrips on the cab

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p130586643/heee0056f#heee0056f

4547 at St Ives in early logo green with the angled rainstrips. Also you can just see the portholes on this one.

I have clearly spent far too long looking at these :) 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Received my 4555 from Tower Models today (ordered 5 years ago), so have spent a pleasant afternoon "testing" it on my shed layout. Nice model. Only two quibbles so far - wheel rims and motion are very shiny (easilysorted) and the loco is rather growly in action - hopefully will improve with some off track running-in (my layout is a 14' x 11' BLT-fiddle yard setup).

Keith

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I have clearly spent far too long looking at these :) 

I hadn't realised just how many good Small Prairie pics there were on Railonline. I'd also forgotten about the sandbox differences - when was the later style introduced?