EMG Railfreight terminal at Castle Donnington

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday driving back from Warley in a lorry I was able to see a huge new freight terminal that is being built next to Junction 23A of the M1 at Castle Donnington. The signs mark it as EMG Railfreight Terminal.   A bit of googling when I got home showed that there is going to be a large yard capable of handling 750m long fright trains.  The yard will be parallel to the M1 just west of the road that runs from the services to Junction 24.  Apparently this will be linked by a spur about 1.5 miles long to the Sheet Stores junction to Castle Donnington line with the junction facing towards Burton.  Does anyone know if work on the rail infrastructure has started yet.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Apparently, it's linked to a new distribution centre for Marks and Spencers.

The groundworks for the distribution centre are impressive but until I googled it I didn't realise where the rail infrastructure was due to be. I'll try and post the link in due course that shows the plan.

Jamie

Yesterday driving back from Warley in a lorry I was able to see a huge new freight terminal that is being built next to Junction 23A of the M1 at Castle Donnington. The signs mark it as EMG Railfreight Terminal.   A bit of googling when I got home showed that there is going to be a large yard capable of handling 750m long fright trains.  The yard will be parallel to the M1 just west of the road that runs from the services to Junction 24.  Apparently this will be linked by a spur about 1.5 miles long to the Sheet Stores junction to Castle Donnington line with the junction facing towards Burton.  Does anyone know if work on the rail infrastructure has started yet.

Jamie

Very close to the very busy cargo hub at East Midlands airport as well.

No prizes for guessing where all M&S imported clothing goods must land then.

Very close to the very busy cargo hub at East Midlands airport as well.

No prizes for guessing where all M&S imported clothing goods must land then.

Most imported clothing arrives by ship - not high enough value to warrant air freighting.

M&S already uses a rail-connected warehouse on the site of the former Castle Donnington Power Station, although everything goes in and out by road. As far as I know the sidings here have never seen a revenue-earning freight train. Fingers crossed that won't be the case with the new logistics park at J24, which will hopefully will be a catalyst for intermodal freight in the East Midlands.

Edited by Clay Country

• RMweb Premium

Here's the plan that I looked at on Monday.  

post-6824-0-87296800-1511997875_thumb.jpg

Hope it makes sense.  The airport is immediately south of the site and the rail link goes west just off the map to head for exchange sidings on the line from Sheet Stores Junction.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Most imported clothing arrives by ship - not high enough value to warrant air freighting.

M&S already uses a rail-connected warehouse on the site of the former Castle Donnington Power Station, although everything goes in and out by road. As far as I know the sidings here have never seen a revenue-earning freight train. Fingers crossed that won't be the case with the new logistics park at J24, which will hopefully will be a catalyst for intermodal freight in the East Midlands.

You might be surprised how much of the fashion end of their lines does get flown in.

Bung a nice little red number in a container coming from Asia and by the time it reaches the UK it's gone out of fashion.

Needless to say, looking at my wardrobe, anything imported could have been delivered on a very slow boat from China.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Talking of the mess that is the East Midlands Gateway... that proposed development awaiting planning permission isn't going to happen

It looked a pretty active construction site to me on Monday and the road link into it is almost complete including the road signs proclaiming EMG Rail Terminal.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

It looked a pretty active construction site to me on Monday and the road link into it is almost complete including the road signs proclaiming EMG Rail Terminal.

Jamie

Jamie

Sorry... I was referring to the housing developed the other side of the M1... marked planning approval!

Griff

Edited by griffgriff

• RMweb Premium

I had a trip to Derby and Long Eaton earlier this week.  The friend who I met in Long Eaton drives past the site most days and knows the railway geography well. He told me that the earthworks for the branch line are being done and are coming on well.

Jamie

• 11 months later...