RMweb

009 Narrow gauge micro layout in an old picnic table.

The Wife was chucking this old plastic cheap folding picnic table away last week due to wear and tear, that was until i grabbed it for a nice little idea i had for it, once i'd explained why i wanted it she agreed to let me do it only because this can easily be stored under a bed or on top of the wardrobe. :angel:  It's 33 inches long and 26 inches wide when opened, i'll be carefully placing any scenery/buildings so that the lid can be shut without damaging anything inside when closed. I have some off-cuts of inch thick dense foam insulation board which will give me a good start on the scenery. I apologise for using this idea if it's all been said and done before, i suppose if you can get one cheap enough a guitar case would do the same job.

post-31611-0-34647800-1512478532_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-41359700-1512478563_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Looks interesting, I've seen these before but would never have thought of using one. Are the legs permanently attached?

The fold out seat/legs are removable with bolts just holding them in, the reason it was being chucked out that it's made of quite hard plastic and the leg brackets had snapped sheared off on one corner, i've seen a lot of these on the car boots going cheap over the years, and a new one would'nt cost much off fee-bay, i'll just have to be very careful with the cutting and handling of it, but it should'nt weigh too much at all. It will be a few weeks before i can get my hands on some track, then i can work out the layout of it all. I will have to use all RTR stuff including buying in a few buildings but i'll chop the living doings out of 'em.  :mosking:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's been a while but i finally came across some suitable sized ply off-cuts that i needed to continue with this little project. The ply is 8mm thick and was jigsawed to fit into the two halves of the folding lid/top after having traced around them and then deducting a 10mm ring all around them, two openings have also been cut into the plastic tops where the track will come through and join up. I'll use car seam sealer/adhesive to fit the boards down later today, first a couple of lengths of 2.cm, square batten need to be fixed to the underside of the ply for strength. I've so far collected just one set of points and two flexible lengths of track to work with and at least i can try and work out some kind of track plan with them.  :mail:

post-31611-0-36480600-1522410100_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-85148400-1522410133_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-16354600-1522410180_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest ShildonShunter

I like the idea of using an old picnic table with plywood inserted to give it strength. What type of layout are you planning to build.:)

I like the idea of using an old picnic table with plywood inserted to give it strength. What type of layout are you planning to build. :)

Thanks! Probably an industrial themed one Shildon, but something also with a landscape that i could run a train of coaches around as well without them looking to out of place, it's still all up in the air,  i do have a rough track plan in mind now and i've scribbled it all down, there's plenty of points included in it for play value and to keep my interest going hopefully for more than five minutes! :jester:

• 4 weeks later...

Just to show i still intend doing this project i bought a few bits and bobs last week whilst down in N.Wales, some Peco points & track, Roco wagons, a Narrow Planet loco kit and a ready made Kato running chassis.

post-31611-0-54004600-1525083184_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-30530000-1525083238_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Have you done one of these kits Paul? Any help or info' would be much appreciated. I was thinking of what kind of layout to make then i thought why not just copy ideas from my garden line :jester: So it might turn out painted in two tone Cream & Brown :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Yes no build pics but from memory sharp snips to cut the etch bits and file the tabs flush then nothing to recommend apart from following the instructions, (Steve of Narrow Planet is on here as Cornelius). I sanded it carefully with a bit off a foam sanding block on a cocktail stick. As they have seen various uses post the MOD I think you your style will be very appropriate :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got the kit put together quite straightforward really with a bit of super-glue. Its primed in White here and i painted it up by hand into its final colours last night, i hope to put the windows in next and show you it almost finished later. I'm a bit stuck on what couplings to use in such a small scale, i have to admit its not easy detailing stuff this small for me as i'm used to bigger stuff, the 3d printed lines have been lost in the final thicker hand painted finish.  :jester:

post-31611-0-97481100-1526552231_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-42114200-1526552261_thumb.jpg

• Like 2