Finding Manual for Lenz 23151 connector

alangr

I have just installed a Lenz 23151 that connects my computer to my Lenz digital system.

Part of this is a CV editor program which I have loaded but the manual that is included is all in German....

Can anyone let me know of somewhere I could get a manual in English?  This is not helped by the fact that the Lenz.de site supposedly has one but after downloading it turns out to be in German again!

Thanks

Alan

Thanks RFS but my post was not clear.  I do have the 23151 manual, in English, but I am looking for the CV Editor manual  I have loaded the editor but need to see how to use it!

The manual that came with the 23151 and included the editor is all in German.

Does anyone know where I can get a manual in English?

Cheers

Alan

• RMweb Gold

The CV Editor instructions are in this manual starting on page 15. And on the 23151 CD there are D, E and F (German, English and French) versions in the "Doku" folder. 

EDIT: This manual is for the earlier version that comes with the 23151.  The German-only manual is for the new 1.2.0 version that came out last year.  For this I think you may have to rely on the help sections.  

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

I know this is off topic, but I would suggest you use DecoderPro in JMRI rather than Lenz CV editor.

DecoderPro is more comprehensive and more intuitive.

John K

The Lenz program has functions that are not available elsewhere, such as being able to do firmware updates on Lenz decoders. 

Interesting things about DecoderPro but not for me at the moment.

RFS; yes, I have the 1_2_0 version.  I have been trying to use it but cannot get the software to connect.  I found the 'setup' and duly added the 23151 but any attempt to read just gives me a message that tells me I am not connected.

The programming track is live and the Xpressnet and USB indicators are on but the CV editor just seems to be dead.  Do you have any ideas?

At the same time, although I am running trains OK, the orange data light on the 23151 never comes on at all.  Do you have any experience of that?  And could this be related to the unlit data light?

• RMweb Gold

I have the 23151 configured to the PC with the LAN connection as I have no need of a router or wireless connection.  The connection is done so that Traincontroller can do its thing with automation. It's also connected via USB and I use that for the CV Editor 1.2 so that I can use that on a dedicated programming track without having to stop TC or put the Lenz into programming mode. 

The orange data light is on mainly because TC is using it a lot. 

What PC software are you using? I have Windows 10 and the 23151 USB driver is installed automatically. 

Having configured the setup page you then have to go back to the start page and select "connect" at the top. 

I have W10 64bit and the 23151 USB software was installed automatically to COM4.  The 23150 I had previously was installed on COM3 but packed up.

I messed around with IP addresses so that I could see the 23151 but after I had done so and came to install it to TC, I found that I had to change a very large number of addresses (e.g. ll the points, stop and brake markers).  I balked at this so am running with only the USB link for now at least.  I have not, though, ever seen the orange data light come on.  If you use only the USB link, does the light come on then?

The CV editor, having chosen the right setup, does not respond when I try to 'connect' on the first page.  Clearly something is still wrong!

• RMweb Gold

First of all you can change all the addresses in TC to use the LAN connection with a single operation - just tried it in simulation mode with no problem. When you change the digital connection, TC will come up with a list of addresses that need to be changed. Highlight them all (select the first then go to the bottom and highlight the last with the shift key pressed) and it will do a multiple change for you. (Best to save a copy of your TC file before you do that though just in case!).

If TC is using the USB link then you can't use it at the same time for the CV Editor.  That's why I use the LAN connection for TC. 

Your advice on changing all of the addresses at once went well, thanks.  I am now running via the LAN although still nothing is indicated on the data light.

However I am still at sea with the CV editor.  The USB link is up (green LED) and I select the 21351-USB COM4 option but nothing connects.  However I am wondering whether I am going at this the wrong way!  The LAN and USB links cannot be active at the same time, surely, so what am I hoping to achieve?  You mention that you use a separate programming track but how do you connect to this?

I would be grateful if you let me knoe just how you approach this!

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

If you've got Traincontroller connected via the LAN, and start running a schedule, then the data light should surely start blinking. 

Is your version of the CV Editor the latest 1.2 version? That replaces the one that comes on the 23151 CD. Having gone into the setup page and selected COM4, you then need to go back to the first page and click connect on the top button.

I have a siding near the my operating position that is isolated with two IRJs. Feed is either from the main or via the 23151 and is selected via a DPDT switch. In this way I can drive a loco onto the siding, change the switch and then use 23151 + CV Editor.  There's no need to shut down TC whilst I do this as both can be up at the same time. The CV Editor and TC both appear to the Lenz as separate throttles (like the LH100). What you can't do is have both the 23151 and TC up and running at the same time with both using the USB interface.

• RMweb Gold

Just been on to my system to clarify how things work.

On my setup the 23151 is on USB5 and it connects OK, with TC connected on the LAN. On the setup page you select which interface and click connect. One annoying feature is that when you stop the CV Editor it issues a stop to the Lenz as well. But both can run at the same time. 

I'm so used to using it that I forgot I also have a 23170 Decoder Programmer, and I usually use that for standalone access rather than connecting via the 23151.  That's how I get a programming track that's independent of the Lenz system altogether. 

Edited by RFS

Ah, I begin to see, I think.  Presumably only (one of) the LAN or USB links work at the same time (different addressing, for one) so they are not both available concurrently.  I was curious to know what you were doing so thank you for the information about the 23170.

Now that my LAN link is working - even though I see no data recognised on the 23151 - I guess I will forget about the Lenz CV editor.  It was really only a matter of preference really as I also have TrainProgrammer and so will concentrate on using that.

I appreciate your help; many thanks for that.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

I can use the Lens CV editor on the 23151 when connected via the lan port without any issues. TBH I have never used the USB port and have had no issues with lost functionality.

The issue here was using the CV Editor via the USB port on the 23151, whilst simultaneously using the LAN port for RR&Co Traincontroller.  I've found that works fine.

After another try all is well; I can use the CV editor and TC at the same time.  The problem was that having TC on the LAN port of the 23151 I was then trying to use the USB link for the editor.

So thanks to you, all, for your comments and help.

Regards