Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Snow on the tracks

The scene on Thursday, still a lot of snow about from Sunday.  Conditions on the roads and in places footpaths were treacherous, as we had rain overnight that froze over the compacted snow on the ground, creating something like an ice rink in places!

post-27523-0-34623800-1513446383.jpg

• Like 4

The scene on Thursday, still a lot of snow about from Sunday.  Conditions on the roads and in places footpaths were treacherous, as we had rain overnight that froze over the compacted snow on the ground, creating something like an ice rink in places!

attachicon.gifvoyager_snow.jpg

One of the best sections of line on my route card, the jolly old big dipper twixt Coventry and Leamington, a doddle in a Voyager no doubt but needs subtle handling with a heavy freight if a consistent speed of 60mph is to be maintained on the single line!

• Like 4

Lovely picture, but I am not sure about the comment! I was still SM at Brighton that winter, which was a bad one, and little moved there for days. P/Way were doing everything they could, but the drifts and the freezing temperatures simply overwhelmed them and the point heaters. I went out with a venerable colleague, carrying what I can only describe as flame-throwers (goodness knows where he got them from) in an attempt to clear the points on the western side. How we didn't die I don't know (the juice was still on but you could hardly see the con rail anywhere) and it was all a complete waste of time. As soon as we released one point and tested it with the box, and moved on to the next, the previous one would have frozen up again by the time we finished the next one. So we tried setting routes manually, by winding and blocking, but there was virtually no track detection and we just did not have anywhere near enough flagmen. We moved one train from Hove in four hours, and that had about six people on it.

Great determination, but little to show for it.

But at least you and your colleagues tried, whereas nowadays (for a whole variety of reasons) the first action appears to be to deter anyone from attempting to travel and then arranging rail replacement bus services for anyone actually needing to get to work, school, home, etc.etc. I fully appreciate that there are still people out on the ground in all weathers trying to keep things on the move, however my experience suggests that from the passengers perspective the easy option of cancelling all services and suggesting people travel on a later date is far more common now than in BR days.

One of the best sections of line on my route card, the jolly old big dipper twixt Coventry and Leamington, a doddle in a Voyager no doubt but needs subtle handling with a heavy freight if a consistent speed of 60mph is to be maintained on the single line!

I've seen a Voyager almost stop for the signal on the steep bank just behind me (towards Leamington); it must be difficult to get going again from a complete stop, especially with a heavy freight.

• Like 1

This is Charlbury, December 2010, before the redoubling works which started the next year, new up platform and footbridge to block the view (see my earlier post in this thread).

No trains running!

IMG_4114.jpg.254bdbab1c124af239f645988390a634.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg.c758f0e88946d9630f082d3b8fe3d208.jpg

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photos
  • Like 17