What's the difference?

Scale7JB

Hi all....

My dad had a great deal on a Bachmann Spectrum Forney at the Ally Pally show in London last weekend, but he wants to know...

What is the difference between On3 and On30?

To be honest, I'm a little confused too....

JB.

On3.......is American O gauge (1/4"=1ft) running on a dead scale 3ft gauge track ie 3/4"...........like S7 for narrow gauge.

On30 is the same American scale but running on standard HO track at 16.5mm gauge giving a prototype track gauge of 2ft 6ins (30")

O/16.5 uses 7mm scale on the same 16.5mm track to give a prototype track gauge of 2ft 4"

Hope this helps

Don't worry too much, all US commercial O narrow outline gauge basically runs on 16.5mm, even if at O scale it should really run on 3 foot track.......a compromise.

There are strict scale versions as always, some use hand made scale 3foot track with O scale, and also O scale 2 foot gauge.

In the UK O scale, 7mm to the foot, usually use 16.5 as the gauge, but also there is 14mm (2 foot gauge).

• RMweb Gold

The Forney is a nice model. It will go round quite tight curves but the back end swings out quite a lot. My ON30 layout is now end to end not roundy-roundy as there was a piece of track where the Forney used to derail whatever it was hauling round.

Only other piece of information I can think of is that ON30 models use the HO height for couplers.

Also If you want to crew the locos, Tamiya 1/48 soldiers can be "carved" into crew figures quite nicely.

Tony

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

On3 at 3/4" track gauge is very close to P4 (19+mm vs 18.83) but I haven't known anyone yet to try the interchange.

I have. Trouble was my 0n3 K36 [a 3foot gauge 2-8-2 about the size of a 9F made a right mess of the P4 scenery. Runs OK on plain track but P4 standards for things like check rails aren't compatible with RP25-110 wheels used on 0n3 stock.

Paul Martin

EDM Models

Archived