Wessex Junction, WOE in the 90's. new layout build underway!

Rhysb

Is there a reason why the Station cannot go to the right, and then into the tunnel for London / South, other Stations and Quarry then to the left. When I tried to model it many years ago, the best bit for me was the Road Bridge at the end of Fisherton St, and the ramp up to the Station entrance. I always remember seeing lots of Seacows and other Engineering Stock parked in the Sidings above the Car Park, not so many Trees in those days.

Andy that is an option yes. I am still thinking about that one. 

• Like 1

Ok so this is where I am at now! Its great to have so many people interested in the layout and its design. Basically it has kind of morphed from 4 sections to still being 4 sections but now as a "U shape" layout with the end by the station extended and including the turns to get to the other side. These are quite tight turns (radius 2,3 and 4 setrack which is why I wanted to hide them but think with some detailing and the fact I can soften the entry to the station I am hoping that they don't become to obvious as curves.

The quarry can now be located to the west of the station by "wilton junction" and this can be visible with the north wessex main line disappearing behind the back scene. This will share the entry to the train care depot.

post-28839-0-99177700-1513617199_thumb.jpg

This change does alter the fiddle yards somewhat so I would have multiple smaller fiddle yards rather than just one large one.

Ian I like your idea of switching the station. I am still not 100% so this may change to this. Andy pointed out correctly though that I did want to have the station building at the front and model the lead up road from Fisherton street. As I said though I may change this. I still have time here as modelling on the valley scene is the first task. 

I also like Andy's idea of moving the station to the right hand scene as I could then have the tracks going west onto the GWR scene with the "Quidhampton" quarry scene at the bottom and a GWR style Bradford on avon station at the top running into a fiddle yard behind the top left corner. Thus the GWR trains could run "end to end" or around the back relief lines with the LSWR trains running on the inner loop?

So many thoughts so many ideas... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ok so this is where I am at now! Its great to have so many people interested in the layout and its design. Basically it has kind of morphed from 4 sections to still being 4 sections but now as a "U shape" layout with the end by the station extended and including the turns to get to the other side. These are quite tight turns (radius 2,3 and 4 setrack which is why I wanted to hide them but think with some detailing and the fact I can soften the entry to the station I am hoping that they don't become to obvious as curves.

The quarry can now be located to the west of the station by "wilton junction" and this can be visible with the north wessex main line disappearing behind the back scene. This will share the entry to the train care depot.

attachicon.gifIMG_0101.jpg

This change does alter the fiddle yards somewhat so I would have multiple smaller fiddle yards rather than just one large one.

Ian I like your idea of switching the station. I am still not 100% so this may change to this. Andy pointed out correctly though that I did want to have the station building at the front and model the lead up road from Fisherton street. As I said though I may change this. I still have time here as modelling on the valley scene is the first task. 

I also like Andy's idea of moving the station to the right hand scene as I could then have the tracks going west onto the GWR scene with the "Quidhampton" quarry scene at the bottom and a GWR style Bradford on avon station at the top running into a fiddle yard behind the top left corner. Thus the GWR trains could run "end to end" or around the back relief lines with the LSWR trains running on the inner loop?

So many thoughts so many ideas... 

Scrap it all and go to N Gauge.....you'll be able to model the whole line with the space you've got!  :laugh:  :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so after the festive break I decided to crack on with some work on the embankment side of the layout while I finalise the main station side. The "Bradford on Avon" scene will move onto the forest area meaning the whole side with the embankment is GWR and the otherwise is SR with the Wessex trains passing through.

Ok onto to some pics. I decided to use Woodland Scenics shaper sheet for the embankment as to keep it simple. I had thought about building up with the classic newspaper and plaster cloth or polystyrene or foam but seeing video's of the shaper sheet on Everard Junctions channel I thought this to be a quick and simple job. I have to say I'm really pleased with the result.

I completed a small part of the embankment first as wanted to sample the shaper sheet to see if I was happy with it:

post-28839-0-50042500-1514917533_thumb.jpg

I used a mixture of paints to create the earth colour then added WS fine turf soil and earth blend. Finally a bit of green turf and foliage and I am pleased with the result. I used "dead" and light colours as the scene is autumn based. Here is the final result:

post-28839-0-44191300-1514917700_thumb.jpg

I have completed the farm access bridge as well and put this in its final place:

post-28839-0-30212400-1514917741_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-33276600-1514917772_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-70314700-1514917797_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-29553300-1514917816_thumb.jpg

Hope you like the result? Now to complete the rest of the embankment down to the river. The back scene is just temporary and the final version will be fixed properly. Ignore the over-spray from the track grime spray too!

Thanks

Rhys

Edited by Rhysb
  • Like 5

And for some action shots!

Former NSE class 159 (now SWT) heading south to Avonbury (Salisbury) from Bristol Temple Meads to London Waterloo:

post-28839-0-40836900-1514918142_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-94667500-1514918174_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-05759500-1514918204_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-35800300-1514918222_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-26016100-1514918239_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Rhys

Edited by Rhysb
  • Like 14

• Tempfix

Just found this and really enjoying the setup so far. Have no input to offer on the station I'm afraid as I'm very much in the 'lay track and ask questions later' school of planning, but it is already looking good.

Looking forward to more. Good luck.

Rich

• Like 1

Just found this and really enjoying the setup so far. Have no input to offer on the station I'm afraid as I'm very much in the 'lay track and ask questions later' school of planning, but it is already looking good.

Looking forward to more. Good luck.

Rich

Thanks Rich, appreciate your comments. I have always admired your Oxford Road layout particularly the underground section. Always made me want to do a London terminus!

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Apologies it has been a little while since my last update but I have some good news and some bad news...

Firstly better start with the bad news: I am moving house! Thus the loft will be staying and I need a new place to put the layout! Plus this has meant progress has slowed meaning less updates!

Now the good news. I am moving back to Somerset and my new house has a nice big outbuilding next to the garage which means I get my railway room! Fully insulated proper room and its bigger than my loft now so more space! This means we will see some additions to the track plan. The layout idea remains pretty much the same but the expansion will come on the Heart of Wessex branch line and I'm also looking to drop in a Mendip Quarry. It really will be all things Wessex!

Good news for Mike (Oak Road) is il be about 1 mile from Castle Cary so I'm sure I can help him out there!

Anyway I'm really happy as this means I'm getting the chance to really do things properly. The updates will not stop but just for a few months you will not see more landscaping and track but I am going to focus on the buildings and other things I can build for the layout now so will make things quicker when I get into the new space.

And without further a do... Here is something I have been working on...

One of the stations on the layout "Westford on Avon" is a tribute to Bradford on Avon. This will be a pretty much copy of the actual location but as the whole layout is inspired by the Wessex region it won't be exact.

post-28839-0-88653300-1520029885_thumb.jpg

The first photo above is the view from what will be Platform 1 over to Platform 2 where this sits. What I have done is use the Metcalfe kit but added proper bath stone texturing which is what the actual building is constructed from. This is scale scenes sheets as I could not find any plasticard or formed stuff that looks anything like cotswold bath stone. 

The real station today has been kept in a heritage look with the GWR chocolate & cream dominating structures so "Westford on Avon" will be the same. I have added 90's regional railways signage mixed with heritage posters and GWR "nods to the past!"

post-28839-0-42511400-1520030127_thumb.jpg

Above another view towards the platform side of the station. I will in time add the valance to the platform canopies but can't decide on what to do there yet. Whether to use the one supplied in the Metcalfe kit which looks great or try and exactly match the one at BOA. We will see!

post-28839-0-14630100-1520030170_thumb.jpg

Above opposite end of the station as viewed if standing on the end of platform 2. Below is some views from the other side: firstly from the taxi/drop off/bus stop area, secondly the view from the car park and finally with a bus added for effect!

post-28839-0-46190400-1520030310_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-34398900-1520030329_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-60428700-1520030349_thumb.jpg

I need to add some more finishing touches but once it is on the platform with benches etc in front and other furniture I think it will look good. I will look to clad the roof with some proper plastic sheets for texture and also add some internal lights.

Im happy with this first attempt and I'm sure as my modelling skills get better i will rip it up and make something a little bit more scratch built rather than kit bashed but happy for now.

Now onto the Avonbury (Salisbury) station buildings aaarrrrggghhhh!!!!

Thanks

Rhys

Edited by Rhysb
  • Like 18

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Apologies it has been a little while since my last update but I have some good news and some bad news...

Firstly better start with the bad news: I am moving house! Thus the loft will be staying and I need a new place to put the layout! Plus this has meant progress has slowed meaning less updates!

Now the good news. I am moving back to Somerset and my new house has a nice big outbuilding next to the garage which means I get my railway room! Fully insulated proper room and its bigger than my loft now so more space! This means we will see some additions to the track plan. The layout idea remains pretty much the same but the expansion will come on the Heart of Wessex branch line and I'm also looking to drop in a Mendip Quarry. It really will be all things Wessex!

Good news for Mike (Oak Road) is il be about 1 mile from Castle Cary so I'm sure I can help him out there!

Anyway I'm really happy as this means I'm getting the chance to really do things properly. The updates will not stop but just for a few months you will not see more landscaping and track but I am going to focus on the buildings and other things I can build for the layout now so will make things quicker when I get into the new space.

And without further a do... Here is something I have been working on...

One of the stations on the layout "Westford on Avon" is a tribute to Bradford on Avon. This will be a pretty much copy of the actual location but as the whole layout is inspired by the Wessex region it won't be exact.

attachicon.gifPlatform1.jpg

The first photo above is the view from what will be Platform 1 over to Platform 2 where this sits. What I have done is use the Metcalfe kit but added proper bath stone texturing which is what the actual building is constructed from. This is scale scenes sheets as I could not find any plasticard or formed stuff that looks anything like cotswold bath stone. 

The real station today has been kept in a heritage look with the GWR chocolate & cream dominating structures so "Westford on Avon" will be the same. I have added 90's regional railways signage mixed with heritage posters and GWR "nods to the past!"

attachicon.gifPlatform2.jpg

Above another view towards the platform side of the station. I will in time add the valance to the platform canopies but can't decide on what to do there yet. Whether to use the one supplied in the Metcalfe kit which looks great or try and exactly match the one at BOA. We will see!

attachicon.gifPlatform end.jpg

Above opposite end of the station as viewed if standing on the end of platform 2. Below is some views from the other side: firstly from the taxi/drop off/bus stop area, secondly the view from the car park and finally with a bus added for effect!

attachicon.gifBus Stop.jpg

attachicon.gifCar Park.jpg

attachicon.gifFront Bus.jpg

I need to add some more finishing touches but once it is on the platform with benches etc in front and other furniture I think it will look good. I will look to clad the roof with some proper plastic sheets for texture and also add some internal lights.

Im happy with this first attempt and I'm sure as my modelling skills get better i will rip it up and make something a little bit more scratch built rather than kit bashed but happy for now.

Now onto the Avonbury (Salisbury) station buildings aaarrrrggghhhh!!!!

Thanks

Rhys

Hi Rhys,

Only just found this thread & really likeing it :good: Looking forward to seeing it develop. Loving your station plan & era that its set too...

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

House move is dragging on so the layout updates have been quiet. This has given me the chance to continue to build any buildings or things that I can box away ready for the move.

So I have completed the other station building for the Westford on Avon (Bradford on Avon) station. As will the other building I have "edited" the metcalfe building to create something closer to the bath stone original. As discussed my layout is 1992-93 in era but I have kept the old GWR bits that are still in the station today to provide a bit of heritage.

post-28839-0-19248400-1526462719_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-36399300-1526462732_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-20682600-1526462742_thumb.jpg

Sited here with the other building. Very happy with these.

post-28839-0-63675100-1526462764_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've never been a great admirer of the Metcalfe Kits but you've done a cracking job on them Rhys and you've captured the look of BoA perfectly

I agree Mike. They can be good bases to build upon but the standard kits do not provide a finished product. I don't like the fact they don't provide a solution to cover fold marks etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a quick update of where we are!

As many of you know the house move is shortly upon me so while this will be brilliant for the space dedicated to the new layout it meant that the old one needed to be packed away. The other half was away for the weekend so before everything got ripped up and boxed away it was time for a final running session.

Stalwart of the Wessex Junction layout, here a class 158 heads south to Portsmouth on the mid morning Cardiff-Pompey rotation:

post-28839-0-01666800-1528106060_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-51211600-1528106079_thumb.jpg

Shortly followed by a new member to the fleet heading north. 205 Thumper heads to Avonbury from Romsey and Southampton:

post-28839-0-09946400-1528106169_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-13982600-1528106181_thumb.jpg

On the other side of the layout we see a stone working heading back towards the Mendips. Traction must have been in short supply as a tractor was drafted in for this one!

post-28839-0-76835900-1528106266_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile normal service resumed with a class 59 on a similar working

post-28839-0-42887800-1528106297_thumb.jpg

Finally some good old 47's. These images hopefully show the variance in liveries operated on the WOE during 1992 and 1993. 47474 is shortly due to be renumbered into 47712 with the NSE flashes etc.

Firstly 2 pass each other on the farm bridge in the Wylye Valley:

post-28839-0-41865900-1528106392_thumb.jpg

474's last service before she heads off for re-numbering:

post-28839-0-24890500-1528106446_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-65414600-1528106489_thumb.jpg

So the inevitable deconstruction of the layout will begin. It may be a few months before the first signs of life in the new house but will keep posting updates on the track plan and reworking of the loco's

Thanks

Rhys

Edited by Rhysb
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Good evening all... the silence is broken!

I have now moved house, settled in a bit and the other half has had her way on decorating etc I finally have broken ground on the new railway! I have moved back to south Somerset right into the heart of Wessex so I have great access to the location of the layout.

Having bought a 17th century barn house it came complete with this fantastic outbuilding:

post-28839-0-28888100-1540326321_thumb.jpg

It is made up of 2 rooms the first a large square old stable:

post-28839-0-09677700-1540326388_thumb.jpg

Secondly a smaller potting shed:

post-28839-0-68145200-1540326545_thumb.jpg

These will be joined to create a large L shaped layout room giving me circa 96' in a large loop to create the new layout. The layout as per the previous one will be based in the south west Wessex region again focusing on salisbury with "Avonbury" station but this time with a further station in the yeovil area based on Yeovil Junction called "Penmill Junction" The layout is set in late 92 early 93 with the 47's ruling the west of england line with the new 159 DMU's alongside regional railways cardiff-pompey services and 150's on the GWR wessex lines. A variety of freight will also feature.

A big change is I will be adding a lot of automation on passenger services with iTrain etc and really taking DCC to the max!

More on the layout to follow for now its all packed up until the building work is complete!

post-28839-0-27482200-1540326975_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Rhys

Edited by Rhysb
  • Like 6

Ok so now we are well under way on the new build lets talk track plan!

As before the layout is focused on the main junction at Salisbury station between the West of England Line and the Wessex main line (hence the name Wessex Junction). Now with the larger space I am also looking to incorporate the junction between the GWR heart of wessex line and the West of England further west at Yeovil Junction.

As I will be representing the area rather than mirroring it Salisbury station will become "Avonbury" Station but the track plan will be heavily based on Salisbury and the location is identical. Yeovil Junction will be called "Penmill Junction" as a play on the Yeovil Penmill station just up the GWR line. The track plan here will be based heavily on Yeovil Junction and scenery will also be heavily influenced.

So here it is:

post-28839-0-73694400-1540457252_thumb.jpg

The layout is a large roundy roundy with and end to end are attached. three fiddle yards are present. Avonbury station is the main area of the layout at the top centre of the image above. trains enter from the  top right as you look at the plan through Avonbury Tunnel from London Waterloo on the WOE and the South Coast on the Wessex main line. Avonbury station has the train care depot above for the new class 159's coming into service. Trains leave to the left of the plan towards Wilton Junction where the Wessex main line heads into the fiddle yard bottom left and the WOE line sweeps round and heads west along the bottom of the layout before reaching Penmill Junction and then disappearing into the fiddle yard again. At Penmill Junction the GWR line crosses the WOE line with the track going south to Weymouth and north towards Westbury, Bristol etc.

Below is the layout in iTrain as well:

post-28839-0-24830400-1540457633_thumb.jpg

Trackwork being is the west country is all bullhead and I am using the new Peco RTR bullhead track. Power for the layout is DCC via Digikeijs DR5000 and block detection from the Digikeijs boards too. Using this system ghosting as a Z21 allows me to use all the Roco handsets and mobile phones and tablets for multiple user operation.

Thanks

Rhys

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks good, would you consider two more points though so you can run into the hidden sidings while a down train runs round into Avonbury?

attachicon.gifD8413CC2-EBE9-435C-BEED-81528D25198D.jpeg

That's what I was thinking - otherwise you can't run trains in to Avonbury if you're running trains in the opposite direction. Having said that, you can't run trains from the fiddle yard in to Avonbury if a you have departing London bound service

Are you reversing "Salisbury" with regard to up and down? It seems a bit odd to have the singled section on the London end (if it were me, I'd single the bit between "Wilton" and "Yeovil".

No its correct and not reversed. I didn't explain the red lines. The red lines are backscenes 

If you look the single line section it starts at Penmill Junction as in real life heading west (Yeovil Junction to Honiton) but disappears into the fiddle yard area "Off Scene". If you look at the Salisbury end london trains enter the tunnel on the dual track as in real life but the single line bit you refer too is off scene.

Edited by Rhysb

Looks good, would you consider two more points though so you can run into the hidden sidings while a down train runs round into Avonbury?

attachicon.gifD8413CC2-EBE9-435C-BEED-81528D25198D.jpeg

Paul,

Correct yes. Good idea! A couple of curved points should help this area. Its a tough one to manage as i want to vaguely represent the single line heading west from YCJ but this needs to loop to the dual track into salisbury tunnel. Plus I need the reversing sidings for the GWR line and the reversing siding for the thumper as well. Plus on top of that all the 47's and rakes live in the fiddle yard!

Plan was to get track laid then have a big cake and tea day where you can all test/iron out wrinkles. This fiddle yard is a bit of a bottleneck! Automation helps with block detection when in auto mode but when in manual mode it does add a lot of thinking.

• Like 1

Correct Mike, The second bit of your post i had planned a little as wanted to simulate trains waiting at Penmill Junction for the UP train to clear the single line for example.

Good spot though.

That's what I was thinking - otherwise you can't run trains in to Avonbury if you're running trains in the opposite direction. Having said that, you can't run trains from the fiddle yard in to Avonbury if a you have departing London bound service

No its correct and not reversed. I didn't explain the red lines. The red lines are backscenes

If you look the single line section it starts at Penmill Junction as in real life heading west (Yeovil Junction to Honiton) but disappears into the fiddle yard area "Off Scene". If you look at the Salisbury end london trains enter the tunnel on the dual track as in real life but the single line bit you refer too is off scene.

That makes sense.

I'd still seriously consider singling some of the bottom left bit, though.

• Like 1