Late 1940 early 1950s diesel fueling station

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, I’m looking to add a fueling point to my layout. It’s based in the southern region and will be used by my bullied and lms 10000 diesel. I’ve looked at the Bachman scenecraft offering and although nice think it’s abit too modern. I have googled for images but i must be using the wrong words because I can’t find anything.

Any body got any pointers

Thanks

Edited by jonnyuk

• RMweb Gold

I am sure I have read somewhere that in the early diesel days, with few around, fuel for the locomotives was decanted from a fuel tanker wagon parked up in a siding at MPDs, sin ce coal was still king in the '40s and '50s--a good book to look at on this is

"Diesel Depots: The Early Years". by Chris Hawkins (Publisher, Irwell Press, 1989).

though the emphasis in this is more late '50s.

Otherwise, have a look through photos in the numerous books on steam MPDs of the period, and see if you can catch a glimpse of the odd diesel loco, normally lurking in the background--especially shunters!

all the best,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I have a book of diesels in the 1970's and it shows a Class 50 being refueled at Penzance. The facilities consisted of an oil drum on a basic wooden frame.

When I traveled between Los Angeles and Dallas in 1999, the Amtrak locos refueled at Fort Worth from a similar oil drum, but this time, elevated on the prongs of a fork lift truck that had come in beside the loco.

Thank you both, I have spent a few hours googling and can’t find anything so I think I’ll go and buy a tank. Question is what sort......

Could be anything from a class B tank, like the old Airfix kit, on a separate siding, with a pump nearby, to a series of oil drums 55 gallon ones, on the ground or elevated on a framework, again, with a pump nearby.

There is a photo in the Southern Way special of the Bulleid diesels, essential reading I would have thought, that shows one of the refuelling methods used. There is a luggable IC powered pump, sitting on the ground next to a rail tank, with the inlet pipe looped up and dropped down in o the tank through the manhole, with the delivery pipe waiting to be put into the tank filler on the diesel