Best chopper!?

70E

Now I have caught the eyes of the moderators and braggers could any advise on the best value chopper as the Americans seem to call them or cutter for cutting plastruct, ABS, balsa and the like?

There seem to be a few out ther ranging from a tenner to thirty or forty pounds or so. I know you pays yer money and takes your choice but wanted to see what other forum contributors use.

Thanks

Or, as this is a model railway forum:

post-1191-0-57582800-1513260084_thumb.jpg

A 4mm LNWR Chopper Tank, built from a London Road Models kit.

Painted by Ian Rathbone and requiring final detailing.

Going back to the OP, I have original type NWSL chopper with the hardboard base that distorts. I would certainly now go for the Chopper 2 in preference.

• Like 2

I can see Andy with his finger hovering over the delete button for when someone posts a picture of the other one. :nono:

It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the post... I did wait to see if anyone else posted it- and there rests the case for the defence M’lud.....

• RMweb Premium

North west shortlines product (chopper 2) is fantastic, one of the best tools I have purchased

I've been trying to get one of those, could I ask where you got it from?

• RMweb Premium

My friend Paul Martin of EDM Models usually has them but they are showing as out of stock at the moment. Since the pound/dollar rate took a nose dive, he has found it more difficult to cover the increased costs of importing stock from USA without making things too expensive for UK buyers who always want the cheapest option!.

I suggest you email him to see if he intends importing more.

Details here   http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Glues/gluestools.html#Tools

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to get one of those, could I ask where you got it from?

From memory I think I purchased mine from EMA Model Supplies, although I have had it for a long time so I cant be entirely sure.   I must get round to brining it back inside the house now given its spent this year in the layout room for chopping sleepers.  While pricey, as I said before it is well worth it for a tool which is both incredibly well made and incredibly useful. 

I've used this type

http://www.proopsbrothers.com/multi-angle-craft-and-hobby-guillotine-c6035-870-p.asp

for a long time, I've added a sacrificial green cutting mat and an end stop, and been very pleased with it.

Made in England too!

I'm on my second of these and until spotting this thread would have had no hesitation recommending it. However, thinking about it, I do sometimes get deflection from a true 90 degrees due to the flimsy plastic handle/hinge. An awful lot of cuts in styrene section are slightly off-true. Think I'll take a good look at the NWSL Chopper 2 which would seem to have a rigid aluminium handle/hinge.