GER branch terminus.

Hi I'm building a Great Eastern branch terminus, I am using photos for inspiration. Unfortunately there is not a great deal of detail in the pic's. So what I would like to know, would there be an inspection pit in the engine shed as a matter of course? there isn't an ash pit as far as I can see. 

Thank's in advance for any info' or insights.

Cheer's, Pete. 

• Like 1

Colchester loco shed had pits on all three roads and three further pits located around the depot.

In GE days there was even a pit at the end of the down main platform.

Have a look at Chris Hawkins GER shed books (2 volumes) ; if you haven't got copies of the books let me know and I'll have a quick scan.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

All GER locos used on their branch lines were inside cylinder so an inspection pit was pretty essential for their lubrication, trying to do this without a pit, in the dark, would be very uncomfortable and risk missing some bearings. But a browse through the GER sections of 'LNER Branch Lines' [Gammell] failed to reveal any, I suspect they were tucked away inside some of the sheds.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete

May I suggest you borrow from your library or buy a copy of the Great Eastern Railway Engine Shed books buy Hawkins and Reeve. There is a track plan for each engine shed and in the case of most of the branch termini the station and yard are also included.

• 1 year later...

Hows that terminus coming along, what part of the GER are you modelling???

Cheers

Gobbler

Hi Gobbler, I'm afraid it has all come to nowt. After much faffing around and trying several different track layout plans I found I couldn't get the size of the layout to fit the size of my shed for building it. So, I have gone for a fictional terminus using some of the prototype buildings (except the engine shed  :( ) Once I have got a little more work done on it, I'm having problems with the fiddle/cassette yard, it may need a rethink, and possibly another board building, I will start a thread on it. It has a name, Thaxham, track, points, wired and basic track painted, as they say, (who are "they" anyway??) "watch this space"...

Cheer's, Pete.