Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Casting in resin, what do I use?

MJI

• RMweb Premium

I want to resin cast some parts such as axle boxes, battery boxes, gas cabinets, seats, and other components,

I have moulds made with Scarva rubber and they hold the detail well.

I will also be using this technique with other things later (eg DMU roof dome, possible whole roof).

So what is a good one to use please?

Want about 250g or so

For making rather larger castings, I currently use a filled electrical potting epoxy resin (trade name here Technirez). Whilst not specifically designed for the purpose it is easy to use, strong and takes detail very well. Sufficiently well to perfectly reproduce brush marks in the mould release agent if I'm careless enough to leave any. Might be worth trying to track down the UK equivalent.

Edited by PatB

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin,

Is that a total of 250g mix, or 250g of hardener and 250g of resin?

Peter

No idea just a rough idea of approximately what I THINK I may need as I have 300g of mould rubber

Edited by MJI

In the past I've used a product called ALUMILITE with good success, its a 1:1 mix and cures very quickly.

Edited by bgman