RMweb

Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, good luck at MRL I have done it at Barrow Hill for the last two years and it was a good event, I wish I was there.

More pics please mate.

Andy :sungum:

Thanks Andy.

We are looking forward to going up! A decent 4 hour drive from here!

I've weathered the new 03 today.

Photos to follow, but no space in the garage to get Orchard Road up at the moment as my son has his new layout in the way getting the ballasting done.

So until the ballast / glue has tried, we can't get OR up.

Hi, dare I write - the layout is almost finished! Still a few more details to add to the interior of the shed, some of which have been added and can be seen on the photo.

I couldn't resist another black and white shot with the 08 'on-shed'.

I have added a few etch brass panels, quietly rusting away!

Just under four weeks to go for the next exhibition - in Hayle and then followed the next weekend in Exeter. Very much looking forward to these and you come along, please say hello.

A few more jobs to be completed before the exhibition.

Ha Ha Richard, that was May 2011, :O  and I bet you are still finding things to do on it, :no:  I have just started to have another quick glance through and read this and chuckled.

I have just ordered a couple of second hand plain Blue Class 50's from a well known site for a new Exhibition project I am thinking of :nono:  :nono:  and I needed some inspiration so where better than to have a look on here, I will have to dig out the Mag articles tonight as well. :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Catch up again soon,

All the best for MRL.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Ha Ha Richard, that was May 2011, :O  and I bet you are still finding things to do on it, :no:  I have just started to have another quick glance through and read this and chuckled.

I have just ordered a couple of second hand plain Blue Class 50's from a well known site for a new Exhibition project I am thinking of :nono:  :nono:  and I needed some inspiration so where better than to have a look on here, I will have to dig out the Mag articles tonight as well. :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Catch up again soon,

All the best for MRL.

Thanks for reminding me Andy!

It's quite amusing the things that one types ...

Well, I suppose that a layout is never finished!

I've managed to get OR erected today, between a few decorating jobs (which I need to finish tomorrow) and will post a few photos shortly.

Looking forward to seeing the new project there Andy.

I was tempted the other day with a plain blue 50 myself, but ended up with the 03. I'm thinking about the next layout and the 03 would suit that better.

In other news, I've been asked to help build a small depot layout for a friend, so will start a new thread when we get started ....

Not to be confused with my own new project of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've fitted the new yard lamps today. These are non-working (to be honest don't see much point in having working lights on Orchard Road) and are Wizzard kits.

A little bit fiddly to bend the wire loop around the top and make each one the same. Thankfully, all four came out similar and at least are not close to each other on the layout.

Anyway, three were easy to fit, just cut a slot in the cork and glue into place, with ground cover sprinkled onto generous amounts on PVA glue. The four required a little more work with a small chisel, but then treated the same. Each lamp was assmebled onto a short length of copper clad, soldering the whitemetal post and etch brass ladder to the copper clad. Each was then primed and airbrushed. The white sections around the bottom of the post and ladder was hand painted. The lamps themselves being dry-brushed.

Well, I think that they add something to the layout. What do you think ....

Also, taken a few photos with the second 03, which has lighter weathering than the previous 03.

post-7854-0-27248700-1377964305.jpg

post-7854-0-44153400-1377964308.jpg

post-7854-0-24385400-1377964311.jpg

post-7854-0-65879300-1377964314.jpg

post-7854-0-82400100-1377964318.jpg

I've also repainted the boards and light supports as these were showing a few marks - the trouble with an exhibition layout.

A few little sections of scenic damage have also been repaired.

Next job is to re-check that everything still works OK and check for anymore slight damage / wear ....

Then clean the loco wheels .... make a list of what I need to take .... re-pack plastic boxes used for carrying electrical bits etc ....

• Like 6

Hi Richard, The lamps and 03's look spot on mate, have you got any helpers for MRL lined up yet? I wish I could make it, I would bring some Blue SOUND 25's along :O :locomotive: :locomotive: , hahaa.

I now need to order a couple of sound chips for the 50's. :nono: :nono:

I look forward to both of your next projects and hope to see some pics soon.

Mine will just be a yard / stabling point / fueling point, a bit like Crammore Bridge. I have just bought a smaller car so I need to build a smaller layout for next year. :no:

All the best.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, The lamps and 03's look spot on mate, have you got any helpers for MRL lined up yet? I wish I could make it, I would bring some Blue SOUND 25's along :O :locomotive: :locomotive: , hahaa.

I now need to order a couple of sound chips for the 50's. :nono: :nono:

I look forward to both of your next projects and hope to see some pics soon.

Mine will just be a yard / stabling point / fueling point, a bit like Crammore Bridge. I have just bought a smaller car so I need to build a smaller layout for next year. :no:

All the best.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for response. I'm pleased with the lamps and 03

As far as MRL is concerned, I was hoping to bring my son along, but he will be starting his 'full-time-course' at college next week, but only for 3 days! Trouble is, his days will be Mon, Wed and Fri !!! So, need to get someone else to come up with me on Friday! Unfortunately Ray, who often helps, is doing another exhibition that weekend!

Don't hold your breath on the new layout! I've a couple of small projects in mind first ....

• RMweb Gold

Ho Richard good to see your still doing things with the layout. The 03s look superb.

Really looking forward to seeing the layout at MRL, ill be there for a few hrs on the Saturday.

hi Neil,

Thanks for your comments.

Will be good to see you at MRL and you are welcome to have a run on Orchard Road.

• Like 1

Hi Richard, Looking at my Diary, if I have moved house by then and I am sorted, and I can get a couple of friends to come with me to share the fuel I might just make MRL and give you a hand if you need it. I will know a few days before and let you know, If I get there on the Sat it will be good to see Neil, (Mason) again and have a catch up with him too.

Cheers Andy :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, Looking at my Diary, if I have moved house by then and I am sorted, and I can get a couple of friends to come with me to share the fuel I might just make MRL and give you a hand if you need it. I will know a few days before and let you know, If I get there on the Sat it will be good to see Neil, (Mason) again and have a catch up with him too.

Cheers Andy :sungum:

Hi Andy,

It would be great to see you at MRL and for your assistance. Will also be good to finally meet up with Neil, plus hopefully a few other RMwebber's who have commented on the layout thread.

This will be the first time that Orchard Road will be venturing to Nottinghamshire area, giving a wider audience.

It's a great opportunity for other people who would not normally see Orchard Road to come over ....

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Those yard lamps are looking great and add to the atmosphere this wonderful layout.

Like Andy said those Class 03's do look good.  Bit of a soft spot for them. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Any spare yard lamps Richard, they would go perfect in the steel works yard.

Really looking forward to meeting up after all these years of chatting on here.

And of course I can't wait to see the layout in the flesh as its been such a great inspiration for me especially on the Deeping lane depot layout.

I even had the same joiner build me a saw bench and some steps :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Those yard lamps are looking great and add to the atmosphere this wonderful layout.

Like Andy said those Class 03's do look good.  Bit of a soft spot for them. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Richard

The yard lamps are looking great, still got my two lamps to do and the 03 looks fantastic as well.

RAY70B

Thanks.

I'm pleased with the lamps and now wondering why I didn't add some before ...

Mind you, I didn't see these before Ray used them on Yard Shunter!

Glad that you like the 03. I've since added a little more spilled oil / fuel around the fillers and down the side onto the footplate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Any spare yard lamps Richard, they would go perfect in the steel works yard.

Really looking forward to meeting up after all these years of chatting on here.

And of course I can't wait to see the layout in the flesh as its been such a great inspiration for me especially on the Deeping lane depot layout.

I even had the same joiner build me a saw bench and some steps :)

Sorry Neil, I only bought two packs (two lamps in each). Not sure whether I may add another lamp at some point.

May also have a look at a couple of wall lamps to fit onto the outside wall of the main depot building.

Yeah, will be great to meet up and will hand you the controller for awhile if you like.

You are also welcome to bring along a couple of locos to run and photograph. Always good to have a couple of visiting locos!

I'll also bring along some of my buildings from Burrington Arms (do you remember that?) to have a look at!

Cheers Richard ill definatly take you up on that thank you.

Ill see if I can bring my 08 and scrap wagons I had from Cav.

I actually only have that loco now as I sold everything to go into N gauge and then did a u turn and sadly Iv had to start again.

What make are the lamps?

Really looking forward to a play on the layout. Very exciting

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

The 08 and wagons sounds great! Cav has done a smashing job on the weathering will be good to see close up!

The Lamps are from Wizzard Models - 35 ft yard lamps part LS002 - web site link

I bought these from their stand at a show, but do mail order, which I've used a couple of times and had good service.

• RMweb Gold

So whats the new project gonna be then Mudmagnet?

Ah! Now that would be telling ....

Seriously though, I can't totally decide what to do and have a couple of different ideas, both very different from each other.

One being more scenic - greenary, overgrown track, run-down shunting yard or

the other being a grotty looking town scene, with buildings along one side, with a small parcel depot or small PW depot and a small stabiling point (i.e. somewhere to run a couple of locos in and out).

Both would be pre-dominately operated with the small shunters ( 03 x 2, 08 [ plus a second later when funds allow with sound ] and 06 [ Judith Edge kit ] ).

• Like 2

Ah! Now that would be telling ....

Seriously though, I can't totally decide what to do and have a couple of different ideas, both very different from each other.

One being more scenic - greenary, overgrown track, run-down shunting yard or

the other being a grotty looking town scene, with buildings along one side, with a small parcel depot or small PW depot and a small stabiling point (i.e. somewhere to run a couple of locos in and out).

Both would be pre-dominately operated with the small shunters ( 03 x 2, 08 [ plus a second later when funds allow with sound ] and 06 [ Judith Edge kit ] ).

Exmouth Junction early to mid 80's?