My shelf layout journal

Conrail Joe

As much as I want to jump in Alaska project, I need to focus on this layout first. I do have ADHD, (can you tell?) so sometimes I tend to bounce from thing to thing. you’ve already seen it twice already! I have a research meeting this morning at the lab, then I’ll be doing some shopping for some supplies to keep myself busy this next week on spring break

• Like 2

Well my spring break has been anything but productive so far. I’m laid up on the couch, I have the gout in my left big toe....such a dumb but painful ailment! We also have another nor’easter On the way tonight into tomorrow, dropping 12 to 18 inches of snow. The snow is lighter so hopefully not too many power outages.

Well my spring break has been anything but productive so far. I’m laid up on the couch, I have the gout in my left big toe....such a dumb but painful ailment! We also have another nor’easter On the way tonight into tomorrow, dropping 12 to 18 inches of snow. The snow is lighter so hopefully not too many power outages.

At least you have a Patriot's Super Bowl win to warm your heart.

Oh wait, that didn't happen. Oh well, summer's coming...

• Like 1

That happens more in the Northern New England areas of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont (btw, wouldn't that make a nice name for a Northern New England Regional - MNHV).

Nice idea Mike.  

Not quite MNHV but ,of course, there was the NHV. I was lucky to see a few of their roster in the engine house at Morrisville, VT when I visited the Lamoille Valley Railroad back in the day.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?2002021006304010583.jpg:bysearch:nhv:SEARCHTYPE=SIMPLE&PAGE=8&BOOL=ALL&SEARCHSTRING=nhv

• RMweb Gold

Nice idea Mike.

Not quite MNHV but ,of course, there was the NHV. I was lucky to see a few of their roster in the engine house at Morrisville, VT when I visited the Lamoille Valley Railroad back in the day.

They had a rather nice RS-11:

2011101320281323112.jpg

2010102209200515117.jpg

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can't go wrong with an RS11.

I can see it now: MNHV- The Mud Line.

Well, the finances were probably mired in it!

How about “Northern New England”, reporting marks NONE.

Slogan: None like it!

More likely NNE.

The Nebraska Northeastern Railroad's reporting mark was NENE, rather than NNE, so I reckon 'NONE' would be more likely as Simon suggests :good:

But what do I know? :rolleyes: :blush:

Edited by F-UnitMad

Nice idea Mike.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?2002021006304010583.jpg:bysearch:nhv:SEARCHTYPE=SIMPLE&PAGE=8&BOOL=ALL&SEARCHSTRING=nhv

OK my jealousy meter is exploding, you got to see the LVRC?!!!

That is my favorite Road, I’ve had several track plans for it, but decided not to model it due to The high cost of having engines custom painted and lettered, as well as my lack of structure building skills.

post-33331-0-46386800-1521113814.jpeg

Edited by Conrail Joe
  • Like 1

That is my favorite Road, I’ve had several track plans for it, but decided not to model it due to The high cost of having engines custom painted and lettered, as well as my lack of structure building skills.

Joe, you know that you can also just model another Rhode Island short line like the Narragansett Pier RR, the Mosassuck Valley RR, the Warwick RR, or the Seaview RR. All of them are charming.

Joe, you know that you can also just model another Rhode Island short line like the Narragansett Pier RR, the Mosassuck Valley RR, the Warwick RR, or the Seaview RR. All of them are charming.

Yes I know I could! A friend of mine is an engineer/conductor for the Seaview RR. I gave the Seaview some serious consideration, but I’m not a fan of their locomotive power, or the type of freight traffic (besides the auto racks)

I am very happy modeling the Providence n Worcester, and my layout thus far.

For some reason there are quite a few railroads that tempt me! Is this normal? LOL

Thought you might like to see my pics of the LVRC. (1993)

LVRC's chop nose Alco provided power for the excursion

post-7898-0-40282800-1521122973_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-92485000-1521123006_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-99517400-1521123030.jpg

post-7898-0-38713600-1521123257_thumb.jpg

The train stopped so we could photograph the famous Fisher Bridge.

post-7898-0-41687200-1521123205.jpg

• Like 2

Joe, I meant that you could do your own freelanced railroad in addition to your P&W layout. Bachmann 45 tonners come pre-painted, just add your own lettering. Remember, the Warwick and Moshassuck Valley railroads were short lines before the P&W absorbed them. Let's not forget the Connecticut Central as well. I'm just bringing this up for variety.

Joe,

Sorry for the confusion postings. I was just throwing it out there as brain food.

No reason to apologize!

I spent about six hours yesterday redoing the wiring for the layout. I should’ve done it the right way from the beginning, but wasn’t sure if I was going to expand the way out. I first wire the way out with the feeders coming down going towards a terminal strip. This would have been fine I did not add on to the layout.

So I ran a 14 gage bus wire, broke out the soldering iron, and did it the right way. (No scotch lock connectors, Soldered the feederS directly to the bus wire) also added quick disconnect clips on each section so want to comes time to move all I have to do is pull the clips out.

Today, I painted the track, and then painted the terrain. As soon as that dries, I’ll start ballasting. I have a fan blowing on everything now to expedite the process !!

post-33331-0-97503700-1521131581_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-03882800-1521131598_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-56456800-1521131616_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-99514700-1521131628_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2