Colour light signalling

Hi all,

I’m in need of some help regarding what signals I should have and where I should put them.

Below is a track plan of my layout.

Red = Mainline

Green = sidings

Purple = track to upper level

Orange = track to lower level

Any questions please feel free to ask

Many thanks

post-29328-0-77460700-1513984419.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Luke you need to define what is what before you can signal it ;)

Where are the platforms?

Are the dead end lines sidings or terminal platforms?

Is the purple runround a siding or a short running line?

What are the inner green sidings? , if it's a yard there would only be exit signals with hand points and no signals within it.

Add some labels and people will have more idea what's appropriate to help.

Edited by PaulRhB

Luke you need to define what is what before you can signal it ;)

Where are the platforms?

Are the dead end lines sidings or terminal platforms?

Is the purple runround a siding or a short running line?

What are the inner green sidings? , if it's a yard there would only be exit signals with hand points and no signals within it.

Add some labels and people will have more idea what's appropriate to help.

post-29328-0-61282400-1514018804_thumb.jpeg

The outer Mainline track runs clockwise and the other two run anti clockwise

Edited by Luke Palmer

• RMweb Gold

Don’t have any photos at the minute as I’m out but the layout is approximately 10ft x 10ft

Is it 00 or N ?

If 00 the difficulty you have - a very common one - is the signals will be next to each other, there's no plain track between them which makes it very difficult to signal realistically.

What signals are you proposing to use ?

• Like 1

Is it 00 or N ?

If 00 the difficulty you have - a very common one - is the signals will be next to each other, there's no plain track between them which makes it very difficult to signal realistically.

What signals are you proposing to use ?

I do 00 gauge and I'm planning to use berko/Eckon signals

• RMweb Gold

It will be very diificult and very expensive for you to provide full signalling - are you hoping to drive trains to the signals or provide some signals to add to the scenery ?

As is tyical, it will be difficult to signal as the track plan is a model railway layout rather than a prototype - space restrictions make this a very difficult dilema - do I have a very limited prototype based layout or one which I can run several trains on ?

Have you built this layout ?

It will be very diificult and very expensive for you to provide full signalling - are you hoping to drive trains to the signals or provide some signals to add to the scenery ?

As is tyical, it will be difficult to signal as the track plan is a model railway layout rather than a prototype - space restrictions make this a very difficult dilema - do I have a very limited prototype based layout or one which I can run several trains on ?

Have you built this layout ?

This is my layout at the moment, I know it’s not the best of layouts but with a bit of ballasting and laying some static grass it should look ok.

post-29328-0-43618700-1514110163_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I notice you have two threads running - you need to report one and get it locked off or merged so we don't have two separate discussions.

Nothing wrong with your layout - you can get a huge amount of enjoyment out of it and that's what it's all about.

The problem is that doesn't make it possible to signal prototypically, or even close to being prototypical.

On the other thread it was suggested that you can put some in for cosmetic purposes - thats about the best solution, you know how you like to run the trains, put some where you normally stop them and use them as stop/go indicators for your use rather than prototypical use.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just been hopping between the two threads and agree with Dave about merging. 

As it stands the layout could take a few signals but they would have to be carefully positioned as to follow a prototype is not practical and you can get two results, either adding to the effect or looking a bit strange. 

Don't try to put a signal at every set of points. A few well placed signals will look better than a lot. Put some ground signals in sidings clear of where they  join the running lines. 

Try to operate in a prototypical fashion. Don't have a train running up to a junction signal at red with a train crossing in front of it. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1