its a forty to the Kyle again

its a forty to the Kyle again

The CFPS stepped in with 40145, at the last minute to supply motive power for this weekends “Western Highlander†railtour. 

Funny how the services of a loco that was withdrawn from the British Rail fleet in 1983 where required.

Gary

Hi

the tour was split in to two portions, one going to Kyle and the other to Mallaig. I think the idea is that you swap half's of the train by doing a buss over to Skye and a ferry back to Mallaig.

Gary

Not so long ago it was still possible to connect by boat direct from Kyle to Mallaig. It was a fantastic sail down Loch Alsh then the Sound of Sleat.

Hi John

I am just and i say, just old enough to remember that service. One of the Skirll of the Pipes tours hired a couple of fishing boats to do the trip in one direction, with a rough sea and on train catering  you can guess the rest!. At one time you could catch the 05.59 Queen street to Fort William, then a train to Mallaig for the ferry to Skye, a bus across the island and the ferry to Kyle. You would then join the Kyle train to Inverness and get on the internal sleeper and arrive in Glasgow for the 05.59 to Fort William!!. If you went from Mallaig to Kyle via the two ferries and the bus, the journey was 26 miles, to get back by train, it was 427 miles!

Gary

Archived