HST Cooling question

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any details on the HST powercars which  were fitted with the alternative design of cooling grill on the roof?

file.php?id=47860

Rather than the more common 

file.php?id=47859

Of the 4 Hornby powercar's I have, 3 have the less common design including both of my Virgin powercars.  I now need to find suitable new identities which match the models (ideally one in Virgin XC)  However when searching for Intercity locos it was hard enough finding suitable photos in the right year which clearly showed the roof, so I am hoping to find a list detailing which were fitted with the alternate grill.  

It may be that I just need to start splicing in the grills from old Lima powercars to modify accordingly.  

IIRC there has been 4 different cooler groups fitted to HSTs. The bottom one looks like the original version, the top one looks like the voith one. I think the latest (Brush) one has 2 fans/roof grills along the centre line of the roof.

This raises anouther question, which cooler group version goes with which engine, Valenta, VP185, MTU?

Edited by cheesysmith

IIRC there has been 4 different cooler groups fitted to HSTs. The bottom one looks like the original version, the top one looks like the voith one. I think the latest (Brush) one has 2 fans/roof grills along the centre line of the roof.

This raises anouther question, which cooler group version goes with which engine, Valenta, VP185, MTU?

I think the cooler groups are interchangeable so any cooler can go with any engine, of course the main limiting factor will be which cooler group the TOC or leasing company prefer to use.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting stuff, so far it looks ancase of having to search our photos to prove the grill

I have at least confirmed that one of my Virgin powercars is ok, and pretty much confirmed that that the other (the original HMS Penzance with vinyl names) should have the original grill.

Now to decide if I modify or rename

• RMweb Gold

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72134-hst-roof-ventsfans/

They did change further when the engines were replaced.

Brilliant stuff thanks, a shame there is now definitive list. It understandable given how frequently they could change. I will keep searching for photos of the powercars I am modelling (and likewise the GWT liveries Lima ones I still need to finish)

Make sure that I get it right!

This raises anouther question, which cooler group version goes with which engine, Valenta, VP185, MTThe

There has been six types of cooler group fitted in HST power cars, Marston and Serck as built, the cooler group for the Mirlees power cars, Brush cooler group in a VP185 with electric secondary water pump, GWR MTU with a Voith group and ECML XC Grand Central NMT with Brush groups. There is also the hybrid Brush groups that were used on Valentas and VP185s that were converted from electric secondary water pump in to standard Brush groups.

Al Taylor.