Newquay Branch 1998

• RMweb Gold

I have been doing some research into the Newquay branch in the summer of 1998 / 1999

I Am trying to find information on what passenger workings were on the branch, knowing that there were additional HST working (including hired in midland and GNER).

I am espically interested in the virgin cross country workings containing a DVT and whether the standard loco hauled mk2 rakes were seen. In addition whether any of the GWT or other operators loco hauled were scene here?

Is there a source of published working timetables for this period?

• RMweb Premium

I can remember seeing EMT HST's coming out of Cornwall in 1998/9. I am not sure where these started from however as I was always getting on at Plymouth and heading East. I also remember travelling on mk2 cross country rakes (I think that these started from Plymouth normally). I don't remember these having a DVT. 

• RMweb Gold

I thought the DVT set went to Paignton and the GNER and MML HST sets went to Newquay.

That was my original understanding, however I have seen conflicting (written) reports implying that the DVT Sets at fines also did the Newquay workings. I just want to find something more substantial!

That was my original understanding, however I have seen conflicting (written) reports implying that the DVT Sets at fines also did the Newquay workings. I just want to find something more substantial!

I would have thought something like that would have been photographed on the way from Newton Abbot to Newquay or return, I havent seen any pictures or heard of any DVTs getting to Newquay although that doesnt mean they didnt.

I can remember seeing EMT HST's coming out of Cornwall in 1998/9. I am not sure where these started from however as I was always getting on at Plymouth and heading East. I also remember travelling on mk2 cross country rakes (I think that these started from Plymouth normally). I don't remember these having a DVT.

Pedant mode: Not EMT ones, EMT (Stagecoach operated)) didn't come into being until 2007, presumably MML operated by National Express?

A couple of years later I travelled down for a day in Dawlish several times on an MML HST which was going to Newquay.