Peco concrete points out yet?

speckyt

I was under the impression that all points had timber crossties, because of the enormous costs that would otherwise be involved in making special crossties for the varying widths? The wood allows fine adjustment and I also expect makes the point less unweildy if being moved around on a railway track renewal site. (How much heavier is a concrete sleeper than a timber one?)

• RMweb Gold

I was under the impression that all points had timber crossties, because of the enormous costs that would otherwise be involved in making special crossties for the varying widths? The wood allows fine adjustment and I also expect makes the point less unweildy if being moved around on a railway track renewal site. (How much heavier is a concrete sleeper than a timber one?)

Concrete sleeper pointwork has been in use in the UK for close on 20 years now. the first set I remember seeing were at Metropolitan Junction between London Bridge and Waterloo East

Andi

Concrete sleeper pointwork has been in use in the UK for close on 20 years now. the first set I remember seeing were at Metropolitan Junction between London Bridge and Waterloo East

Andi

I stand corrected. Bah! I must pay more attention!

Andi

Make that more than 30 since the test installations at Willesden (TMD north end) and Finchley Road Coal yard.

(How much heavier is a concrete sleeper than a timber one?)

Concrete sleepers generally come in at just over the quarter ton each. Plain softwood sleepers without baseplates or chairs are twenty to the ton.

Archived