RMweb

Hornby entry level controller dead.

• RMweb Premium

1995 train set on base boards dragged out the loft after probably 15 years got everything going for a few laps then changed points to inner circuit loco derailed controller now has no 12v from its PC board inside controller. There are 2 thumb screw connections showing 13 or so volts constant so I know power is there. I can get on the copper as it leaves the PCB but nowt forward backward fast or slow, there are no fuses or anything. So is it bin or can anything be done? Local model shop closed now and not open tomorrow! Just as I was almost ready to test some new Christmas presents pre a new layout build ..

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Dave not really, though time I got my multi meter out the shed then back to shed drilled out fixings back indoors test all took time but I’ll do as you say and see if there are any short circuits.

Ta.

• RMweb Premium

Give it an hour or so and it should reset itself.  More refined controllers have a reset button but even that won't do the job until any overheat has cooled well below a safe level.  It can take just a moment's short-circuit to trigger overheat in the cheaper controllers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Guys, brilliant exactly what it was, the slip in track power doofer was not great either! All sorted eventually then got the Mogul going 1st before unboxing my Christmas Present WC Exeter and giving that a run. Over the moon with the eBay purchase would be an understatement. Now do I weather it.. onwards to the new layout build.

.post-32910-0-03069900-1514411355_thumb.jpegpost-32910-0-69081100-1514414201_thumb.jpegpost-32910-0-99870000-1514414225_thumb.jpegpost-32910-0-38095600-1514414251_thumb.jpeg

Thanks once again for the replies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a video on youtube that shows how to upgrade/modify the old standard train set controller which then allows the owner to run double headed or multiple locos on the same train.

The video shows step by step how the upgrade/modification was done and includes a well detailed commentary on the procedure.

At the end the video shows 3 of these modified controllers putting out enough power to run 6 locos per train.

Even locos with older XO4 motors run with no issues.

Cheers for that if I was sticking with this layout it would be worth it, but have grander plans!

There is a video on youtube that shows how to upgrade/modify the old standard train set controller which then allows the owner to run double headed or multiple locos on the same train.

The video shows step by step how the upgrade/modification was done and includes a well detailed commentary on the procedure.

At the end the video shows 3 of these modified controllers putting out enough power to run 6 locos per train.

Even locos with older XO4 motors run with no issues.

I watched the video, the guy has a 10 amp variable voltage power supply hooked up to a modified Hornby controller (minus its overload protection) and with upgraded wires and transistor and he suggests using a car battery charger to power the controller.  That is enough power to set 1 amp wire on fire and make fishplates glow red, I have had fishplates red on 12 volt 2 amp, so I would recommend you use some form of overload protection before you set something on fire.  There is nothing much wrong with the controller upgrade, though its probably not as good as my much simpler diode multiplier 11 step controller, but it does need a decent power supply with a realistic overload cut out or you will get trouble.

Edited by DavidCBroad