RMweb

Adding weight to N gauge stock question.

Hi all.

Happy New Year.

A simple question. For the N gauge modellers, may I enquire as to what you use to add additional weight to vehicles? I'm using Dapol Easi Shunt couplers with Neodymium magnets and I'm not wanting bogie stock, in particular, to become derailed with the force of the magnet on the coupling attached to a light weight vehicle.

Secondly, I think I recall reading somewhere about PVA not being a suitable glue for plastic models because it expands and causes bowing and splitting of plastic. Am I getting that correct?

Not aware of any general problem with PVA on plastics. What can happen if it is used to encapsulate lead is a reaction between the lead and unreacted adhesive components leading to swelling. If that swelling occurs inside a container of any sort, this swelling can exert enough pressure to split the material. Has been known to split soldered seams in brass models when solidly packed into a boiler or tank for example.

Lead is the choice ballast material, and especially where space is limited, as it is the cheapest of higher density materials. Tack it in place with a contact adhesive or double sided tape. Overpaint if children are likely to handle it.

I haven't often had to add weight to vehicles, I find that in most cases if my track work is good it isn't necessary but then again I don't use Dapol Easi Shunt couplers.

There were a few old Farish coaches that gave problems in the past and I used small squares of the lead used to balance full size motor car wheels tucked in between the coach undercarriage frames. I think it is best to get the extra weight as low down as possible.

I agree with the comments above about PVA glue and lead.

• RMweb Premium

Whenever I need to put in extra weight, which is usually some form of lead, I glue it in place with two-part epoxy resin (Araldite or similar). I would avoid the PVA and lead combination.

I collect odd bits of metal that look like they could be used for this purpose. Not just lead, but also unused whitemetal castings, nuts and bolts, washers and other scraps of steel can be useful.

David

• RMweb Premium

I've not found the need to weigh down wagons with anything, however if I did I would be using blutac where possible or double sided tape. 

I once bought some N gauge box vans from a member of our model railway club who happens to be Dutch. They were very dusty so I decided to wash them in warm soapy water, I was alarmed to see black liquid running out of them so I removed their roofs only to find that he'd weighted each one with a salted liquorice drop.

I wouldn't recommend this method.

I haven't had any problems with Easi-Shunt magnets causing derailments.

I've a Queen Mary Brake in particular that when uncoupled has a propensity to derail due to the magnet pulling the trip pin. It is a very light vehicle and the magnets I'm using are pretty strong. . Strangely other bogie stock is generally ok. I'd just like to add a tad more resistance to my stock. The aquarium lead, mentioned above is an ideal solution